Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Waking with headache

Any other mothers wake up every day with a headache? I really think my body is tired of not getting a full nights sleep and waking up twice a night. Usually I won't get a headache until the second feed. My DD is 16 weeks old and is breastfeed. I really wish she would sleep through the night. I'm hoping when we start cereal it'll help.

Re: Waking with headache

• I have 2 kids so headaches are pretty common for me :) I know how exhausting the first 6 months are but I wouldn't hold out hope for the cereal helping your LO sleep better. Cereal is just empty calories and it takes up space in their stomach when they really just need BM or formula. I'm not saying don't start cereal (although you can skip it all together!), just don't bank on it helping with sleep.

Waking 2 times a night is actually really good for that age! Are the feedings quick? Are you able to go right back to sleep? BM is metabolized quicker than formula so BF babies tend to eat more often and they sometimes nurse for comfort which causes them to wake more looking for that comfort.

As far as the headaches go, are you eating well? Exercising or doing things during the day to take care of yourself? Drinking plenty of water is important too.

It will get better. In time it will so try to hang in there.

• I had planned on skipping the cereal but our doctor suggested it, so might as well. She is breastfeed and is actually a fast eater. She only eats on one side at a time and only takes 10 mins. However, I am the worst at sleeping. It takes me forever to fall asleep. I probably need to eat better and drink more water. Hopefully that is all it is since I only really have it early in the morning.
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0 said:
    I had planned on skipping the cereal but our doctor suggested it, so might as well. She is breastfeed and is actually a fast eater. She only eats on one side at a time and only takes 10 mins. However, I am the worst at sleeping. It takes me forever to fall asleep. I probably need to eat better and drink more water. Hopefully that is all it is since I only really have it early in the morning.

Ugh that sucks. I was that way after my second child was born. I sleep like crap all the time now.

Cereal is not the devil like some people think. It has very little nutritional value but it's a good starting food that is very bland. Watch out for constipation though!

• She had been teething so her poop has actually been really runny, so cereal might help. I've always been a horrible sleeper and I think she have gotten it from me. Lol. Thank you.
    Bigboobsmcgee
  • I was experiencing the same thing and I never get headaches. I think for me it was a combination of lack of sleep, not getting enough water and I went off my thyroid medication which I started when pregnant. I started the thyroid meds again and my headaches went away and I also stopped feeling so exhausted and run down. It was a big difference. Your thyroid levels continue to change as your hormones stabilize after pregnancy so it's something to think about and ask your doc about if it persists.
  • When I wasn't sleeping well I would occasionally get headaches too, even when drinking tons of water and normal food.  My doctor had recommended to me to try a caffeinated beverage. What worked for me was to make a small coffee and I would try to drink it around BF to try and minimize the amount of caffeine for LO. Hope you find a way to relieve the headache pain
  • I haven't gotten headaches as much lately. Caffeine may help because I don't get any unless it's chocolate. Thank you everyone for the advice.