November 2015 Moms
Options

Is this it?

I had a few back and tummy aches last night but woke up this morning not feeling to bad. Went to my apt today (due date is tomorrow) to have an internal and told I've lost my mucas plug and I'm already 2 - 3cms dilated. Now I'm sitting at home this evening and getting quite uncomfortable but tolerable Pains in my lower back and tummy with also my tummy tensing.
I'm scared I won't know when to head into hospital! Does it sound as though labor is possibly starting? When do I know to call the hospital? Should they be unbearable before I think anything of it?
Thanks!

Re: Is this it?

• Options
    This might be better posted in the pinned labor thread but I'll throw in my two cents. I gave birth on Tuesday after 19 hours of labor. I woke up in the middle of the night having period like cramping in my abdomen/back but noticed it was coming in waves. I was able to time them about 6.5 minutes apart. I had already been in for false labor and they told me not to come back until the contractions were painful and I couldn't walk/talk through them. After laboring at home for 12 hours I got to that point. By the time I got in I was only 3cm dilated so I had to walk laps to see how things were progressing. I was up to 4cm dilated and 90% effaced after an hour so I was admitted. My suggestion would be to time your contractions, watch as they grow in intensity and labor at home as long as you can. You'll know once they are becoming difficult to handle on your own and it's time to go in. If you're just having mild contractions now, wait because you might not be ready to start progressing yet and they'll send you home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll say what my momma said to me. Once you start feeling like you're going into labor be calm and do a few last minute thing. Put in the final things to take to the hospital, contact the people you want there to be there and tell them its time, eat, take a shower, make sure everything is set at home for when baby arrives, and then go. Of course it depends how deep you are into labor...and usually STM'S push out baby faster than FTM's. So if your hospital is less than 20 minutes away, I would agree with my own momma. Unless your water breaks...I'd probably just grab a quick snack and pack last minute things before heading out.
    Good luck! :)>-
  • Options
    Time them out as I'm sure your on has told you, wait for them to get noticeably painful or until your water breaks.