Multiples

Fraternal IVF Twins- how did you find out gender?

Hi everyone! I am 11 weeks and my dr said that the blood test that can detect gender will not work with twins. My question is how did you find out the gender and what week?

Re: Fraternal IVF Twins- how did you find out gender?

• I didn't do IVF but we just waited until our anatomy scan at 18 weeks to find out.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second PP - you'll have to wait until your anatomy scan to find out.

At ours they weren't able to see Twin A's sex so it was a mystery for a while but we ended up having an amnio done on each and all was confirmed then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok thanks ladies!
  • Technically no the blood test doesn't work- my MFM order led MaterniT21 to check for chromosomal abnormalities as apparently it can be used for multiples.
    It would not tell you the sex of each baby, but you would know if you had a boy or not by the presence/absence of Y chromosome.
    We knew at least one was a boy!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Kelley421 said:

Technically no the blood test doesn't work- my MFM order led MaterniT21 to check for chromosomal abnormalities as apparently it can be used for multiples.
    It would not tell you the sex of each baby, but you would know if you had a boy or not by the presence/absence of Y chromosome.
    We knew at least one was a boy!

Same here! We had to wait til anatomy scan to find out both for sure
  • I just had my NT scan yesterday (almost 13 weeks). The sonographer could tell that Baby A is a boy. She couldn't get a good look at baby B.
    I didn't have IVF (just fyi - probably doesn't matter)
  • I found out at 15 weeks, but the doctor want 100% sure since it was still so early. I should know for sure at my anatomy scan in a couple weeks. I had IVF, but as PP mentioned it doesn't change when you find out the sex.
  • Thank you all so much! So very helpful
  • We found out at 16 weeks. We had a scan every 4 weeks from 8 weeks on.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We found out at 16 weeks as well, it wasn't the official anatomy scan but they said they'd probably be able to tell us and they were right.
  • I found out last week at my 14 week appt.  Both babies were cooperative and we were able to see clear shots of both.  The sonographer said since it was early, she'd only say they are guesses, but the pictures are obvious. 
  • If you are doing the DNA test, if there is no Y chromosome then you know you are having girls.  If there is a Y chromosome then you either have one boy or two boys.

I had many ultrasounds early- at a MFM practice with highly trained techs and the best equipment.  I never asked until 20 weeks when it is quite clear and not guess work.

• I found out baby B was a boy during a scan at 11 weeks. The doctor just "spilled the beans" without even asking if we wanted to know! I had no idea they could tell that early! He couldn't be sure with baby A at that point. 
     It was a few more weeks before they confirmed baby A was a boy too. 
    I had scans pretty routinely because sometimes it was easier for them to find both heartbeats that way. So you may not have to wait until 18 weeks, like most people do with singletons. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11