Postpartum Depression

Need advice

I'm a ftm and I've really struggled with baby blues since he's been born. I've had a couple good days, but I pretty much always feel anxious and usually cry at least once a day. I just had an appointment and told them I was anxious but decided to not so for medicine (but I can call and ask if I change my mind).

I really just am always worrying about what I need to do next. I love my son and feel guilty complaining but I am tired of feeling this way. I feel like all I do is get him sometimes and I worry whether he gets enough or I'm doing it wrong. I don't love breastfeeding....

I just need advice and words of encouragement

Re: Need advice

• Sorry this reply is 2 days late. How old is your LO? Baby blues only last for the first few weeks but if you are feeling down weeks or months after your LO is born then you might have PPD.

What you are feeling is totally normal and so much more common than you might think. I struggled with anxiety after each of my children were born and I actually decided to get on medication after my DD was born a year ago. That was the best decision I ever made.

Breastfeeding didn't work out with my first child and I struggled with the guilt of that but with my second child, I didn't even bother trying to BF because I wanted to save my sanity instead. If you really don't enjoy and want to give it up, DO IT. If it helps ease some anxiety and makes your life easier then just stop. Your LO will be fine with formula.

With that being said, make sure you are in the right frame of mind to make that decision. Perhaps you are too depressed or have too much anxiety to really know how you feel about breastfeeding.

Talk to your doctor again and see what can be done. Hang in there OP, it all gets better once you get the depression and anxiety under control.

• I took Prozac after my dd was born. I needed it in order to be ok. It hasn't harmed my dd at all.

I also saw a councelor after dd was born. I was so depressed and so many worst case scenarios were flying through my head.

Breast feeding got better for me after 3 weeks comfort wise. If it still hurts it could be a latch issue or a tongue or lip tie making it so baby can't do it properly. I went to a lactation consultant and a breast feeding group. Both really helped me at the time. Dd didnt have a tie but we both had latching issues and general confidence issues.

But what's important is that you're happy and baby is fed. For you that may mean formula, pumping or breastfeeding. Any of those are fine! So do what works for YOU an YOUR baby. Nobody else has any business making that choice for you.

Having a baby is scary. Get help if you need it. It's ok to need help.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also had intrusive thoughts. It was embarrassing. I would walk past the stairs and picture myself throwing or dropping my baby down them.

The Prozac really helped with these random thoughts as did telling my councelor I was having them. She helped me develope ways to redirect my mind but also not to feel guilty about the thoughts.
  • Thanks everyone for your input. I'm doing better now, but I'm still quite anxious. My lo is now 5 weeks. One day at a time!