Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping NOTHING comes out!

beanie1977beanie1977 member
edited November 2015 in Breastfeeding
My 6 day old baby was put on formula to supplement until my milk supply came in because he lost 11% body weight in first few days on colostrum. I barely produce any milk and didn't even start producing any at all until yesterday (day 5.) When I pump I get only drops at the bottom of the bottle.

He's doing well on formula. He's happy and gained weight at his visit today. tonight I fed him his formula, which I feed through a tube whiles he's on my breast. I'm sure he gets a mix of both breast milk (little bit) with the formula since he is on my breast. When done, I'm supposed to pump. This can't usually happen right away, as we were taking care of him and today I waited about 40 minutes until he was asleep again. When I pump, nothing- not even a drop comes out. I pumped for about 30 minutes this time. Nothing. My breasts also feel "floppy."

What's going on? How can I get to a point when I am simply breast feeding? My doctor said it is possible but I'm so discouraged. It's so hard to see that nothing is happening and my poor baby isn't getting what he needs from me.

Re: Pumping NOTHING comes out!

• Options
    I am in the same situation. LO lost 11% as well. When i first started pumping after feedings i was getting nothing. I am now getting less than a 1/2 oz total from both breasts baby is 2wks. The LC told me to not worry about not getting milk. Its about stimulating the breast to create more milk. But it is SO frustrating. Talk to lactation about breast tissue. Mine told me that i prob wont produce much milk out of my one breast because of the lack of fibrous tissue. I am resigning myself to the fact that i will prob never be able to BF exclusively. But i will give her what i can when i can and know that i tried my best. My dr has been great about telling me that Im not failing.
  • Options
    I would contact a LC to get tips for pumping and nursing. If baby is back at birth weight can you eliminate formula? ( with my 1st LO they told me to supplement due to weight loss but then the pediatrician told me I could stop as long as she hadn't lost any more weight)

Baby and or pump has to empty the breast to stimulate more milk production so it could be your pump? Also make sure you drink tons of water and eat well to help supply.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are having a hard time.  I swear by the Lactation Tonic by Herb Pharm!   It's great for boosting your supply.   A nice dark beer can help as well  ;)   Honestly though, as "natural" as breastfeeding is it takes a lot of moms and babies some time to get it down so don't be discouraged!   I know it' hard to trust your body, especially when the doctor chimes in with numbers etc but I think it's always a good idea to see a Lactation Consultant.   They are very supportive and can provide lots of techniques/information etc that your pediatrician won't necessarily have.   I think so many times doctors are a bit premature in wanting to supplement with formula.   Yes it can be a necessity at times, but it can also deal a huge blow to a woman's confidence (not to mention interfere with her supply.)   I applaud your dedication mama and wish you the best!
  • Options
    I was in the same situation when DD was born. 10 days & no milk coming thru even tho I was eating & drinking plenty including oatmeal, lactation cookies, mothers milk, fenugreek etc. Turns out I had retained placenta & my body thought I was still pregnant. Ended up needing a d&c to sort it out.
    Not telling you this to scare you but just to make you aware that it does happen.
    Good luck, hope it gets better for you soon & congrats on new baby.
  • Options
    I had/have a low supply and also supplement with formula. When I first started pumping to boost supply I was just like you. Only a few drops if anything would come out. Now when I pump I get about 1/2-1oz at each session. I'm drinking and eating a ton as well as lots of teas.

The most important thing to remember is that you are doing what's best for your baby. According to my LC about 15% of women just don't produce enough milk. There is nothing wrong with supplementing your baby. I hated it at first but now I sort of enjoy the freedom that every once and awhile someone else can feed my little one. I love nursing him, but I'm happy to have the supplement to help him grow big and strong.