Babies: 3 - 6 Months

BTDT moms: how bad is the 4mo sleep regression really?

So I know all babies are different and all... But I have been reading all this fire and brimstone about the 4 month sleep regression and how terrible it is. Wondering if it is consistently horrific or has varying degrees of difficulty? How long did it take your kid to make it through? I have 15wo twins and I think they are starting to transition to some REM sleep. They've been waking up at night when they didn't used to and naps are becoming a struggle again. But it's not terrible. Wondering if I can plan on it getting far worse! Ha!

Re: BTDT moms: how bad is the 4mo sleep regression really?

• I'm a FTM, so I have no reference point; however, Chloe has just learned how to scream and she has started doing that throughout the night.  Scared the crap out of me initially, lol. She isn't sleeping as well as she used to, which just started a few days ago.  But, what can you do?  Looking forward to hearing other replies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    mariecoss
  • FTM and LO is 19 weeks today. So far she just sleeps through the night less often, instead earing once most nights. But we were blessed with a really good sleeper in general.

She seems to partially wake a few times a night and thrash around for a few minutes before putting herself back to sleep. She figured out how to sleep on her belly last week and she loves it. Fortunately she doesn't cry much at night...even when she wants a MOTN feed she just babbles until we go in there.

We've had a rough night here and there but she's taken it easy on us so far.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first child never went through it and it wasn't all that terrible with my 2nd. Everyone freaks out over the 4 month sleep regression but they don't even realize there are tons of regressions in the first year and beyond. Sleep is always changing and if you adjust your expectations you just might survive it all!

My parenting philosophy is prepare for the worst but hope for the best. If you assume it will be bad then you might be pleasantly surprised!

DustyMelonsNurseRiegermrscheetah
  • Mine was bad. LO was 7 weeks early, so he hit his 4 month regression closer to 6 months. He had been sleeping through the night for almost 2 months and all of the sudden he wasn't. He wouldn't go down easily, like he had been. He would wake up at midnight and be wide awake for hours. it lasted 3-4 weeks. Honestly, it was harder on me than the newborn stage because I was back to work.

Thankfully, it never affected his naps.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• I was very lucky with regard to sleep and my LO. He was pretty much STTN right before the 4 month regression (I believe he was still having one wake up/feeding MOTN). When he hit the 4 month regression we had maybe 3 or 4 "rough" nights. "Rough" as in waking up maybe 3 times instead of once. He received his 4 month vaccines right around the same time though and I suspect that he was lethargic from the shots and that got us through it easier/made it a lot shorter than it might otherwise have been.

Every baby is different. You might luck out and not notice any changes!