Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Third time's the charm?

Just wondering if anyone else has or is going through what I'm going through? My husband and I got married April 2015. In May 2015 I got off birth control and was excited to start trying. I got my BFP the first month of trying. I miscarried at around 7 weeks. We waited a month or two until I was back on a normal cycle. Again, got the BFP the same month of trying and went to have my hcg tested. It was low, 26. They said if it doubles in 48 hrs it may be okay. Well, it didn't. It only raised to 29. I miscarried at 4w5d. I had my thyroid, vitamin D, blood clotting, to see if I had lupus, and a few other labs done. All labs came back normal. They suggested I have an hsg done ($1,000 out of pocket). I don't know if we should try again after a few months or have the hsg. Has anyone else had different types of testing to see why they keep miscarrying?

Re: Third time's the charm?

• Options
    Hi @staypeachyclean I am sorry for your losses. We will be undergoing similar testing after our second mmc. Blood clotting and genetic testing for translocation mutation for me, and then genetic testing for the baby. I am not familiar with hsg. But doctor wants to start with the ones mentioned before going any deeper.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I didn't have any definitive answers given to me ever. I'm going to an RE and had a battery of tests done- im on Crinone now trying for our first little one. I've had 2 MC and 1 CP and know what you're going through. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry for your losses and I'm sorry you are going through this. I have had 2 mcs. 1 at 4+5 and the other at 6+3 (although I knew at 5+6 that it was happening due to falling hcg levels). My OB felt that with such early losses the most likely explanation was just "bad luck" and the random chromosomal issues that cause so many mcs. Other likely causes according to her were low progesterone or clotting issues. She said that when I ttc again I can do progesterone supplements and baby aspirin as these won't hurt anything.  These were her theories based largely on my losses being so early. 

I don't know what they are planning to look for on your hsg, but I do have concerns about a possible septum in my uterus as a tech thought he saw indicators of one during a u/s years ago (while looking for a possible cyst). I had an ultrasound after my first mc and doctor didn't see anything although these can be difficult to see at all on a u/s. I talked to my OB about it, and fwiw, we decided I would try one more time before doing further "investigation." There were a few reasons I made this decision, but the big one is that many doctors, including mine, don't consider there to be anything unusual about 2 very early losses. Honestly if not for super sensitive hpts I probably would have thought the first one was just a late AF due to being super stressed that month. If you look it up, many doctor's think that as many as 50% of pregnancies end in mc, but we just don't realize it because so many of them happen SO early. It does not make the losses hurt less, but it does make me wary of doing procedures to "fix" something that may not really be broken. 

If they were doing the hsg to check for uterine abnormalities (I assume this is the case and not to look for a blocked tube or something since you have no trouble getting pregnant), my doctor did describe another procedure they do where they fill the uterus with saline and do a u/s to get a better look at the shape. You could ask about that, but honestly I don't think it's as good as the hsg. 

If I have a third mc I will absolutely be pushing for the full panel including something to look into the septum issue. I'm praying that I will never end up needing this. In some ways it's scary to try again without EVERY possible test because I think "what if I mc again, and it's something they could have fixed?" On the other hand, I know that statistically, two mcs isn't that crazy and may very well just be bad luck. I hesitate to do a bunch of stuff that ultimately may not find out anything helpful. I think you have to figure out what you're comfortable with. Personally, age would also be a consideration for me. I'm 31 and while I know that's not "old" I do kind of wish I had been in a situation to try to have children at a younger age. I know if I was much older, I would be demanding all the testing asap. Best wishes for you!