December 2015 Moms
Options

STMs- Do I really need mittens?

Hey ladies,

Someone bought me a pack of mittens & I was wondering if I should keep or return & put that $ towards buying something more necessary, (like diapers! ;>) I don't think my nieces or nephews ever used them. Thoughts? Thanks!

Re: STMs- Do I really need mittens?

• Options
    Scratch mittens or outdoor mittens?

Socks can be used in a pinch for both, but I personally liked having the scratch mittens for their sharp little newborn nails, and outdoor mittens were more helpful for my son than my daughters. With the girls, we weren't really outdoors much in cold weather (mostly going between the car and house/stores), so I could usually just tuck their hands under a blanket while we were. With my son, I was outdoors for at least 20 minutes almost every day (taking the girls to and from school), so they were a lot more necessary for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I never used them. They irritated my girls and were a PITA to put on and keep track of. It's mostly to keep your baby from scratching the crap out of themselves. It was easier for me to just use a small nail file to file their claws down lol

That said, I have other mom friends who could not function without their newborns in those little mittens. Like most baby items it comes down to personal preference and what works for you and that particular baby (by the time you have #2 you realize that what worked for one child doesn't always work for another lol).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did not use scratch mittens with my now two year old son. Him scratching himself was never an issue. Because of this, we don't have any and don't plan on using them with this baby girl. Of course, every baby is different, so if scratching is an issue, we will go and get some. Maybe you could hang onto the ones you were given, but leave the tags on them for now. If she isn't a scratcher, then you could return them and use the money towards diapers or something else she will definitely need.
  • Options
    Thanks! @elbou- they are scratch mittens. We won't be going outside too much in the cold.
    @KRH6829- I think that's what I'll do. Just trying to organize what I have & prep for what I need. I'll put the mittens with the big pile of stuff I just bought from once upon a child yesterday that I am waiting to see what size this LO is when it comes out before I detag & wash! I LOVE that place!
  • Options
    I'm not a STM but I am an aunt. I know that my sister and brother kept scratch mittens on my nieces and nephew, and it didn't bother them at all. If they didn't wear them, their little faces got scratched up.
  • Options
    I always thought socks worked better for that. The mittens never stayed on.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with pp the mittens always fell off but socks worked great. So great as a matter of fact baby socks became her comfort item as opposed to a blanket or bear my 4 year old still sleeps with baby socks!!
  • Options
    Scratch mittens were my best friend
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I was told at a breastfeeding class to not use the scratch mittens because you can miss early cues of them being hungry. Cuz they root around on their hands or something as an early cue. Idk. I'm using them though. I've seen babies scratch the hell out of their faces.
  • Options
    I never used them, DD did just fine. I guess I could never stand covering up those cute little fingers!
  • Options
    courtney198078- my nephew was crazy about socks as well. He kept tiny baby socks as his loveys until he was 6 or so. I don't think my sister used them as scratch mittens, he just pulled them off his feet & then kept using them as he got older! ;)
  • Options
    They have the onesies and the side snaps that have the flip sleeps that act as mittens. You can try those out and if you feel they are beneficial just use a pair of socks, or get a 4 pack of mittens and call it a day. The packs are like $4.99-6.99 a pop. No biggie.
  • Options

Third time mom, never used the things. As long as you keep their nails trimmed they won't be necessary and I also wonder about how they could inhibit self-soothing.
    FTMs, there are a LOT of things you will get that you should probably return to the store for stuff that matters, like diapers.

Preach.
  • Options
    I used mittens with my first for a couple of weeks until I got up the courage to cut her nails for the first time.
  • Options
    The wrap shirts I bought have some built in (I read regular onesies may irritate the unhealed belly button...so I  bought a package). I plan on filing them down if we don't feel comfortable trimming them. 
  • Options
    We tried using them with our first two but they kept falling off and we gave up. I trimmed and filed their nails often so it was never w problem for us. To be honest, socks stayed on better anyway.
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    neferhathorneferhathor member
    edited November 2015
    I totally agree with the above poster who said you will get a lot of stuff you won't need. This is probably one of them.
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We got a pack from our baby shower and I can't wait to use them, so cute. They are definitely not a necessity though. We have a few hand me down onesies that have mittens already attached so that might help with the falling off problem. Who knows.
  • Options
    I loved the mittens for going to family functions, etc. not sure what your holiday plans are, but people love touching baby hands. You then may have a baby that soothes himself with sucking his fingers. If you don't want your baby to get sick, the mittens really help people get the point you don't want their germs. I had a prior November baby and am glad I had a few sets.