May 2016 Moms

Double whammy anemia

Anyone else struggling with anemia(s)?

I have thalassemia minor anemia and my blood work just came back to show iron deficiency anemia as well, despite the iron in my prenatal. I suspected it when my first trimester fatigue was getting worse instead of better by 12 weeks, but I won't have a new supplementation plan until the follow up blood work for ferritin and tibc come back and my OB consults with a hemotologist.
I'm frustrated because in the meantime, I feel like I'm running on empty and DH is getting impatient picking up some slack with housework and DS.

Re: Double whammy anemia

• I had anemia when I was pregnant with DS and I am pretty sure that I have it again now. Im 14 weeks and the exhaustion is just getting worse. I was going to ask my doctor to check at my next appt.

It's really hard. I come home from work so beat and feel like a crappy mom on top of just feeling like crap!

Hope some supplements can help us both soon!

image        image

• Until you get a new plan, can you change your diet to incorporate more iron-rich food? I did that last pregnancy because I had a hard time taking supplements, and it helped a little. Good excuse for lots of red meat. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have anemia and have been taking an OTC supplement called Feosol. My insurance wouldn't cover the prescription supplement because they said it's the same as OTC. I dread taking it every day because it is so hard on my stomach, although I think my body is finally starting to get used to it. I haven't noticed an increase in energy yet but I'm hopeful it will come.
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited November 2015
    Thanks!
    I've been working more iron-rich things into my diet, and have been on feosol in the past. I'm thinking they may have me switch to an iron free prenatal and add feosol. Last pregnancy I wasn't deficient too, so only taking the 28mg iron in the prenatal worked. I know they're trying to go about it in a smart way because there is some risk with thalassemia of iron toxicity if I go too far the other way. Hopefully I'll get answers Monday or Tuesday.
    @LadySamLady and @lest12 I hope you start feeling better soon!

Tag fail first time
  • So glad it's not just me! I've always been a touch anemic and have had a couple boughts of iron and b 12 deficiency. I'm now at 12 weeks and that's how I'm starting to feel: more tired than the entire first trimester so far, and really weak and a bit dizzy if I stand too long. Right now I'm waiting in the car while DH grocery shops because errands stop one included me sitting down in the home Depot aisle feeling like I was going to pass out. Think I'll call the office tomorrow and see if that cbc cane back yet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was severely deficient in iron, folic acid and b12. For the anemia my Dr had me get iron infusions as that's the quickest and most effective way to get iron into your body. I'm still crazy exhausted but that's due to the pregnancy hormones :-)