December 2015 Moms
Options

how far along when packing hospital bag?

How far along were you when you packed your hospital bag and what all did you include in it 32 weeks and procrastinating lol

Best Answer

Re: how far along when packing hospital bag?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    First, I think there's a huge thread on what to actually pack if you use the search function. But as far as when to pack I just have mine sitting in my room and I buy some things here and there and throw in there. Like this week I bought extra deodorant and toothbrushes for my husband and I.
    Do you remember when you packed with your first kid? I cannot remember when I packed the first time.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm almost 35 weeks and still haven't packed. My doctor said at my last appointment that I should get the car seat in my car so I suppose packing the hospital bag would come at the same time.
  • Options
    32 weeks on Monday and FTM but I'll probably try to start getting it together this week but I won't seriously worry about it until 34/35 weeks. It shouldn't take more than a day to just get it over with if I haven't at that point.
  • Options
    32 weeks today and I'm not going to pack until way later. I'm not too worried about it anymore, we live fairly close to the hospital. I'm more concerned about getting baby's bag packed. I don't even think my husband is aware that he needs to have a bag packed lol so just call us super procrastinators. :(
  • Options
    I'm not planning on packing a whole lot, and I have no idea when I'll do it. I keep a toiletry bag packed because we travel to in-laws and such pretty often. It wouldn't take very long for me to pack a bag.

Jamie

• Options
    I started collecting things for it this past week at 32 weeks, and am slowly adding to it. I don't actually have it in a bag yet. I want to get it packed soon since doctors are saying I could deliver early.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I packed most of mine last weekend at a little over 34 weeks, and finishing it up this week (35w 4d). I still will have to throw in a few things last minute like toiletries, but most of it is done.
    @redfallon, I packed around 34/35 weeks last time and good thing i did since i needed it at 36 weeks. Having my water break I was so overwhelmed that i sort of froze for half an hour and didn't know what else to add in it. Thankfully most key things were in there. 
  • Options
    I packed most of mine last weekend at a little over 34 weeks, and finishing it up this week (35w 4d). I still will have to throw in a few things last minute like toiletries, but most of it is done.
    @redfallon, I packed around 34/35 weeks last time and good thing i did since i needed it at 36 weeks. Having my water break I was so overwhelmed that i sort of froze for half an hour and didn't know what else to add in it. Thankfully most key things were in there. 
    We're lucky that we are only 15-20 mins from the hospital, so DH could go home and get anything I needed if I forgot it.

Jamie

• Options
    @redfallon I think it was around 35 weeks. But I think I did the same thing last time. Just put things in there here and there starting around 32 weeks or so.
  • Options
    Jess0813Jess0813 member
    edited October 2015
    I havent even thought about packing a bag yet. Lol With my first 2 i packed around 34 weeks but we lived a little over an hour from the hospital so i wanted to make sure i didnt forget anything. This time we live less than 5 minutes from the hospital so i will probably throw some stuff in a bag the week before im due. If i forget something or go into labor early my husband can run home and grab what we need.
  • Options
    Hi had mine mostly packed by 30 weeks and regretted not having it fully packed this week when I was stuck in the hospital for 4 days.
    Mine will be fully packed this weekend, 31 weeks.
  • Options
    Mines pretty much fully packed (just need to add snacks - very important) and I'm almost 36 weeks.
  • Options
    I found "the minimalists" hospital bag list on Pinterest last night. She also provides a list of all the things she didn't use or need the first time

Here is the link !
    https://hubpages.com/health/Hospital-Bag-Checklist-for-the-Minimalist-Mom

I really loved this list
  • Options
    Well I feel a little better about life. Almost 36 and haven't packed yet. It's a little overwhelming to me for some reason.
  • Options
    What kind of bag are y'all packing in? I'm going back and forth on just using a rolling suitcase... Excessive?
  • Options
    @sardavbak I think excessive would depend on the size bag not the wheels. You'll be recovering when you leave and SO will likely be carrying baby in a carseat so I think rolling would be a great option. 
  • Options
    I'm 34 weeks and almost have my bag completely packed.. just need to add a toothbrush and snacks.

@sardavbak I'm using a small tote bag (thirty one) but a bag with wheels sounds like a good idea.

@rachel10488 I bought a new pair of pj pants for my bag. I ended up wearing them around the house and loved them so I bought another pair to put back in bag. They'll be good for lounging at home after I'm healed up too so I consider it a win lol
  • Options
    34 weeks and haven't even came close to packing one.
    It's on my to do list
    As well as 100 other things....
  • Options
    I'm 32 weeks (on Sunday) and I have some basics packed. I packed the diaper bag for baby a few weeks ago out of sheer excitement. For my I have a coming him outfit, some PJs, travel toiletries and some nursing stuff (I bougt them and added them to my over night bag. I still have to get a few more things.... But I will take my time with that!
  • Options
    Well I wasn't going to pack until 35 weeks (currently 32) but I went to Labor and delivery yesterday with contractions so I will be packing a bag tomorrow just in case!
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited October 2015
    34 weeks today and have only bought post-birth supplies so far. I have the baby's stuff ready on his dresser, just waiting on the diaper bag from my work shower to pack it. I'm bringing my own stuff for him because my hospital supplies, such as their baby wash, towels and diapers are super cheap and low quality. We are going to use their t-shirts and swaddle blankets, though. For SO and myself we bought the travel pack of empty bottles from Target for our body wash and shampoo, I'm going to buy deodorant in regular size when I get to it and new toothbrushes to keep in the bag, ours need replaced soon anyway, and a new tube of toothpaste. I'm not wasting money on travel size items. Then just a pair of pajamas for after the birth and a pair of clothes for me to wear home. SO plans on bringing shorts to sleep in and no other clothes because he can come home and shower and change if we are there more than one night.
    Oh, and snacks. Lots of snacks. Even if I can't eat them SO will appreciate them if we are there overnight and the cafeteria is closed.

ETA we are probably going to have one small carry-on sized suitcase (with wheels) for our stuff and the diaper bag. A lot of people say the diaper bag is unnecessary, but I won't be using the provided supplies for the baby so it's just depends on what you think is best.
  • Options
    I'm 35 weeks Monday and I haven't done a thing. I'll start this week though. Plus hospital is a 5 mins drive from my house so anyone in the fam can come pick up something if I need it.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    KRH6829KRH6829 member
    edited October 2015
    I'll be 35 weeks tomorrow and just started packing last weekend. We live super close to the hospital though, so hubby will be going home while I am at the hospital so it's not a big deal if I forget anything. @rachel10488 I bought a new pair of pink pjs to pack for after I deliver our little girl. I bought a pair of blue pjs when I had my son two years ago. I agree that I only have so many clothes that fit that it would be hard to pack some of them away for a month!
  • Options
    I just packed my baby bag today and i am 33 weeks. Im waiting until after my birthday next week to pack my own bag because im getting some nursing gowns.
  • Options
    I started my bag a week or two ago (35-36w), and I'm mostly finished now (37+0) except for last min items- contacts/ glasses, yoga pants, phone/ camera.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm 34.5 weeks and I haven't even started the nursery let alone my bag :/
  • Options
    1st pregnancy bag was packed to over flowing at 33wks. 2nd I had a small emergency kit together at 36wks and added some post partum clothes for me right before we went in for my induction at 39wks. This time I have a similar small e-bag packed since I've hit L&D twice already for regular contractions. Might pack a "for serious" bag next week because I just have this niggling feeling he's going to come early (and fast).

I know the hospital provides pretty much everything so all I am bringing are snacks for me and DH, a take home outfit for the baby, two sets of PJ pants and shirts for me, two shirts and extra pants for DH, travel sized toiletries and a small package of Always Infinity overnight with wings (used those last time around and they are amazeballs). No diaper bag - I 86'd it after the first kid. I do, however, insist on taking my own pillow - something DH gives me grief over but I like my pillow and it's great to have for nursing support after the baby comes.
  • Options
    It's suggested at 34 weeks. I'll be 36 weeks on Wednesday and have nothing packed...but we live super close to the hospital so honestly I'm not worried. It'd be no big deal to have someone go grab the things I might need.
  • Options
    Dirty lurker - I packed the bare bones for all three(!!) of us at 35 weeks which was when my doctor would not put a stop to labor if it began. I have a list on my fridge of what still needs to be added before we leave the house.
  • Options
    I made a list of all the things I want to bring. I HATE over packing. I have started by buying things little by little and throwing it in my hospital bag which will be a rolling bag since I'm having a c section.

So far I have my nursing pillow, some toiletries, hair ties, headband, couple pairs of socks, slippers, baby's going home outfit, and baby blanket. I figured towards the end or when I go into labor, I'll just throw in my going home outfit, some comfy pajamas, robe, bath towel, pillow, phone and charger.
  • Options
    I packed mine last weekend! I go to the doctor next week and they'll do a sono to see if they'll move my due date to match my measurements or not (2 weeks ahead). Even if they leave my due date Dec 5, I am realizing I literally could have a baby any day. So, I packed my bag and threw it in the car just in case! :)
    Couple nursing tanks, nursing bra, full undies (ewww...), sweater, sweats, socks, slippers and that's about it other than toiletries! :) Baby's going home clothes, a soft blanket, socks, mittens and a snow suit (as if he goes full term it can be pretty horrid weather here).
    I didn't want to over pack... so I asked a lot of moms and moms who knew me and all said the same thing! They didn't use hardly anything they packed, your focus will be elsewhere. Chapstick and a charger is a must though!
  • Options
    I'm almost 35 weeks and my midwife just went through it with me last Friday.

She wants me to have a labor bag and a separate hospital stay bag.

I've just got a box in the baby's room that I'm throwing stuff in as I think about it. I'm on maternity leave now so il probably get stuck into it a bit more this week.

If I go into early labor I can't imagine I'll be in the right frame of mind to remember things like the cameras extra battery or my phone charger or spare clothes for my DH.