October 2015 Moms

Gas and poop

My 3 week old is suffering bad gas every evening. I feel I've exhausted all routes. I changed my diet, tried the drops, massage, swaddling, pacifier, bicycle legs, sitting upright, bouncing...ahhhhh!! Nothing works. Maybe I'm just impatient and need to realize it takes time to pass. On top of that our pediatrician says it's just fine that she hasn't pooped in 5 days. I was told this is normal in breastfed babies. Anyone else dealing with this?!

Re: Gas and poop

• I've been exhausting all options with gas with my LO too...I wish I had some advice for you!

As far as the no poop in 5 days, I wouldn't think that was normal even in breastfed babies. I started out breastfeeding and then switched to formula, but when I was bf and saw a lactation consultant, she still told me me how many wet/poop diapers she should have every day.
  • My girls are super gassy and aren't pooping more than once a day/every other day. I think it's ok for them to not poop multiple times s day, as long as they do and it's normal consistency. If there's a lack in wet diapers I'd be concerned. Sometimes the gas drops work but mostly they are obviously uncomfortable. My ped said it just may be their systems maturing. They're mostly breastfed but we do supplement--I've got lots of milk for one baby but pumping for two is draining my supply! I'm hoping it isn't a milk allergy & this ends soon, for all of us!
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby went without pooping for about 4 days. His pediatrician said 10 days is considered normal. But I was not ok with that. What I did was have him nurse and then give him some more from the bottle right after (I was pumping at the time). About an ounce from the bottle was all I did. I did this each time he fed. He pooped in 24 hours.
  • I second the gas problem. 8-1130 every night is a colic showdown without fail. She's is super gassy and won't calm down until 1130. Any other suggestions ? Is this just a phase??
  • I was told by the Dr that it is a phase, that they are developing the bacteria in their intestines...this is what's causing the gas. I still use the drops after each feeding bc I have them and maybe they help a little. My lactation consultant recommended the "I love you" massage. I youtubed it, it's hard to do when you child is screaming and wailing around, but it makes sense.
  • Breastmilk is very nutritious for the babies and their bodies use the majority of it with little waste. This is why they don't poop for several days. The pediatrician is right, don't stress mama.
  • Tummy time can help as it puts pressure on the belly and can help move things along.