October 2015 Moms
Options

C section advice

Found out today that I'm more then likely going to have a c section next week. The plan was to induce but since I'm not dilated at all and my cervix is high. My doctor doesn't want to put me through long labor just to end up in a c section. Of course I get to decide what I want to do but he is highly recommending a c section based on results from my stress test today. So moms who have had a c section recently, what advice can you give me?

Re: C section advice

• Options
    Move as much as you can as soon as they will let you. I'm 11 days post surgery and I'm feeling and moving great. That being said, don't over do it. Also, take your pain meds and stay ahead of the pain. If anyone offers to help, take it. Bring yoga pants or sweat pants to wear home. I wore a zip up house coat/night gown sort of thing and it was great.
  • Options
    tulegrl14tulegrl14 member
    edited October 2015
    Postpartum belt luckily my hospital had some and let me have two. They help with walking and support and make your incision feel better. And take your pain meds on time and stool softeners. If I missed a pill I would wake up in a lot of pain. And bring flip flops cause your feet and calves will be swollen from all the iv fluids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    -move as soon as you can. Force yourself to try! 
    -use a belly support band 
    -maternity pants and leggings you can pull up high are best so nothing rubs your incision. I pull mine way up and then put my band over for support.
    -same for underwear-HIGH granny panties are what you need
    -stay on top of your meds
    -set up a baby care station at home on one level so you don't need to do the stairs. (ex. living room couch)
    -
  • Options
    If a labor experience is important to you, go for the induction realizing that it may still end in a c section. I had a 40 hour labor, LO was stuck in my pelvis and I was not progressing at all. I mean 12 hours to progress 2cm kind of progressing. It was a long labor, and 21 hours of it I went completely unmedicated, which was my goal for the entire labor from the start.
    My uterus tore down the side during my c section, meaning that for any subsequent pregnancy I am not allowed to attempt vbac and will just be scheduled for another c section. I am glad that I had the experience of labor since I won't be able to attempt it again in the future. I may never know what it is like to deliver vaginally, but I am happy that I had the experience of labor even though it was exhausting. If laboring or experiencing laboring is important to you go for it!

As far as the c section goes- the recovery isn't as bad as I imagined, and I've had major abdominal surgery before so I kind of knew what I'd be getting into. The c section is much easier to recover from than my higher abdominal surgery.
    Take the stool softener, order prune juice, ask your ob for a belly binder, and invest in some maternity yoga pants that won't sit on your incision site (I live in mine every day now). Take it easy even on days you feel good, and you'll recover faster than you know
  • Options
    Agreed with the above.
    Stay on top of your pain meds. Ask for a binder or support band, it reallllly helps more then you would think. Take all the help you can. Start moving and walking as soon as you feel up for it, it really does ease the pain quicker, but listen to your body and don't over exert yourself. If you choose to breastfeed, I suggest the football method (as my lactation consultant called it).
  • Options
    definitely go for the c section if they think your going to need one anyway, I went threw labour and over 2 hours of pushing and had the vacume used and ended up getting a c section. you will be a lot less tired and sore, getting up and moving around a little helps a lot even if you feel like you can't, take as many pain killers as you need! take laxatives so your poo isn't hard because it hurts a bit, the baggy hospital knickers massive pads are great! make sure you have lots of help because if you over do it you'll be in so much more pain, let people help you!
  • Options
    marbrunmarbrun member
    edited October 2015
    Take the meds while in the hospital, and definitely accept help!!! Having other help me was by far the hardest part, I'm very independent, but it was nice to have someone on hand to bring me things as needed. I Also agree, move as soon as you can, as much as it hurts, it also feels good and will help the recovery process. I am 1 month PP c-section...after 34 hours of labor!! The ugly weird mesh panties they give you will also become your new best friend, no matter how much you disagree before surgery!! The female species become superwoman after childbirth BUT, don't try right away! Relax and let your body heal, it's OK to have lazy days, your body needs the rest! Good luck, Mama!!!
  • Options
    Everything the PP said, it's great advice. Mine is simple, accept help. You are going to have to rely on others, it's ok to do that. I don't know what I would have done without my husband.
  • Options
    I labored before I ended up in a c section for 28 hours, if doctor thinks that a c section is a better idea, I would take it. The c section experience was great for me despite me being so against it in the beginning. I am 3 weeks post partum and I already feel back go my old self, good luck!
  • Options
    How long did your partners take off work to help you recover post-cs?
  • Options
    meganraschkemeganraschke member
    edited October 2015
    @jln114 my husband took off 5 weeks to stay home with me, and I'm already dreading him going back to work
  • Options
    My second csection was easier than my first. I think this is due to the fact that I labored for 16 hours with my first prior to a csection. Granny panties are a must. I bought them a size or two bigger and I love them. Pain meds are important, if you are planning on BF be careful what meds you take. They may be safe for BF, but one of my recovery nurses was also a lactation consultant. I told her what the previous nurse said was next on my pain med schedule, and she re-routed me. She said that though it was very safe, in her experience it sometimes created issues with milk production. I can't remember what it was though. I wore maternity pants home and am still wearing them. They have the full band and don't come close to my incision. Belly band is good, but I didn't wear it in the hospital. Boppy is your friend as it keeps baby off the incision. Just a warning, you will still get the uterin massage after your surgery. This is to help your uterus contract and make sure it is going down like it is supposed to. This can be painful, so just warning you. I did not expect this with my first and it isn't pleasant. Stool softeners- talk with your doctor but take these a few days ahead of your surgery date. That way you already have soft stool and are prepped for that first pp poo. Don't be afraid to pass gas, you will feel better and you can also ask for a gas pill. The gas can hurt if you don't stay up with it. There are a couple of other threads out there with this same topic with lots of great advice, plus there is a c-section board you may want to take a look at. Good luck and it really isn't that bad.
  • Options
    Every thing previous posters have said is spot on. Try to remember to lift with your legs and sleep in a place where you can use your arms to assist you with sitting up. And keep applying ice off and on right away to help with swelling. When pain meds are offered, take them even if you don't feel too bad. Drink lots of water and get up to move around.
    Side note: if you feel you want to try to deliver vaginally go for it. I got induced and though it ended in c section, I'm glad I got to experience the labor process.
  • Options
    I ended up with an emergency c section and recovery wasn't as bad as I expected. When you get out of bed roll onto your side first and then push up with your arm (while the other supports your incision) instead of just sitting straight up. You may also want to put a maxi pad across it and attach it to your underwear once you get the gauze taken off just so you can easily apply pressure when getting up or if you cough, laugh or sneeze.
    Eat lots of fibre and drink tons of water! The hospital made sure I pooped before I left or I would have had to be given a suppository by one of the nurses.
    Also don't be a hero and wait to take pain meds until it already hurts too much.
  • Options
    Try not to laugh, cough or sneeze...I would hold it in if I could. I'm three weeks past c section and doing great! Dh only got to take one week off at home....spent Monday through Friday in the hospital the prior week so glad he got a second week. Bring extra pairs of comfy stretchy pants. Hospital had plenty of mesh undies so didn't need to bring any. When you wake up go to the bathroom right away...I would breastfeed first but your body is trying to get rid of all the fluid so I'd end up peeing my pants trying to slowly lower myself in the toilet. Three weeks and I'm feeling kinda back to normal. Sleeping on my stomach, bandages are gone from incision, csection wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

• Options
    Just as everyone else has said, but I got the advice and wasn't the best for taking it!
    - take the stool softeners!!!!
    -stay on top of pain meds.
    - move around as soon as you can.
    - don't try to hold in farts! Even if you have visitors, warn them that you've been told hat passing gas is important. Otherwise the gas pains can be excruciating!
    - no matter how good you feel when you get to go home, take it easy. Pushing it will leave you hurting the next day.
    - if you're wanting to do skin to skin after birth, ask. My husband was able to do this as it meant a lot to us but I couldn't.

Good luck!! I know for me a c-section wasn't what I wanted, but in the end all that mattered was getting my baby boy in my arms safe and sound.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ya'll! I was dead set on a vaginal delivery, but at this point I'm just wanting my boy safe in my arms. I've never had surgery before so your advice has quieted some of my fears!! 
  • Options
    I had never had a surgery either, let the nurses and staff know that and ask for them to explain what's going on. The staff did that for me and I felt more at ease. Don't watch comedies or funny shows within a week or 2 after c-section, laughing/ coughing hurts incision. I watched SNL the week after c-section and couldn't stop laughing at the skit, bad idea to watch it.
  • Options
    Get a heating pad for your back and incision for when you get home.

Take big stretchy pants for leaving the hospital. Make sure they have plenty of room and go above your hairline...