1st Trimester
Options

Need advice, Light spotting at 6 weeks. Previous miscarriage.

FropsterFropster member
edited October 2015 in 1st Trimester
I'm needing some advice/reassurance/reality.
2 years ago, I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks. At each ultrasound, the baby measured 2 weeks behind what it should and we never had a steady heartbeat. The doctor never performed any blood work or checked my levels at any time of my pregnancy.
I'm now pregnant again and should be 6w1d. I had an appointment this past Monday at 5w4d and the only thing the doctor ordered was a urine pregnancy test. He said that since I was worried due to my previous miscarriage, doing one so early on would just worry me more since there probably wouldn't be much to see so early on. I mentioned checking my progesterone due to my first loss and he stated that he doesn't agree with interfering and that everything you do that's added unnaturally, has a consequence.
As of 1:30 this morning, I've had 2 instances of very light brown/tan spotting when wiping accompanied with some dull cramping. I've talked with the nurse who just says it's nothing to be concerned about. I don't want to overreact but I also don't want to just brush it off. I would lIke for my doctor to be a little more open to taking my concerns serious. I'm just lost right now.
Has anyone had a similar experience or have any advice?

Edit: I feel like I should add that I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms throughout the 9 weeks of my first pregnancy. However, with this one, I've had pretty much all of the symptoms. Nausea, sore boobs, everything. I was hoping that was a good thing.
My husband and I had intercourse Sunday and I done kegels yesterday. I didn't know if either of them could be the cause.

Re: Need advice, Light spotting at 6 weeks. Previous miscarriage.

• Options
    Hi, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It sounds like you need a new doctor honestly. I too am pregnant after two miscarriages right now, and when I expressed concern to my OB, they brought me in right away for an HCG check, an ultrasound (even though I'm only 4 weeks pregnant), and a visit with the doc. Also put me on progesterone at my request, and I'm going back for an HCG check. 

If the doctor's philosophy is that no interference is necessary, and you won't feel better unless you can get a little interference, I'd call up someone else stat and see how soon you can get in. 

And of course, the common statement about spotting is that it could be nothing, or it could be something. There's no way to know until you confirm hcg levels are rising (or not) and nothing else is going on. My understanding is that brown spotting is okay, and if you start to bleed (red), that's generally not good. Though, there are always exceptions. I hope you get the guidance and support you need from a doctor who is a good fit for you! This stuff is hard. 
  • Options

I'm sorry your doctor isn't very supportive, especially when you have so many fears right now. Can you see a different OB?

Light brown spotting is fairly common and not as scary as bright red blood because brown usually indicates old blood. I had brown spotting and period like cramps with both of my pregnancies and those ended up fine BUT that doesn't necessarily mean anything for you unfortunately.

I'd see a different doctor and try not to stress in the meantime even though that is probably impossible.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DustyMelonsDustyMelons member
    edited October 2015
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and change because I had previous chemical pregnancies. It told us absolutely nothing and only served to increase my fear. I had to go back a week or so later. In the end, that pregnancy resulted in my son and the ultrasound(s) was unnecessary and expensive.

However, I don't understand your doctor's hesitation to perform an HCG blood test, schedule an ultrasound for the future (say, around 8 weeks?), or test your progesterone as you mentioned.

It sounds like you're worried that your doctor isn't taking your concerns seriously. Whether or not that's true, it's how you feel and you should trust your medical professionals. I would consider switching doctors if possible.

Like PP said, brown blood is usually nothing to be too worried about. If the discharge turns bright red or you have painful cramping, you should contact your doctor.

There is a PGAL (pregnant after a loss) board here but I don't know how active it is these days. I think you would find it really beneficial to participate in a community where others are experiencing similar issues and have the same concerns.

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm definitely concerned about him not taking my concerns serious. My issue is that I work for a large hospital/specialty clinic. I have my health insurance through them which only allows me to see their OB docs. The best doctor they have is actually out on maternity leave.
    They have a few others to choose from but from my understanding, the one I'm with was supposed to be the 2nd best option. That may not be the case considering how my initial experience is going.
    My next appointment is scheduled for November 9th. That will be my first ultrasound and I should be 7w4d.
    I don't want to second guess my doctor but I would like to have a doctor that at least pretended to take me seriously and try to understand where I'm coming from.
    Again, thank you all for your replies. I'll try to check out the pregnancy after loss board as well!
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this. I agree with what all PPs said. Hopefully this spotting turns out to mean absolutely nothing. Best of luck :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would demand a progesterone test and an HCG test. It is not ok that your doctor is dismissing your concerns. Low Progesterone is totally treatable. The OB has no idea what is going on with your body or why you had a miscarriage the last time without running some blood work. I am so sorry that you are going through this and for your previous loss. Call on Monday and tell them you want to come in for blood work and ask what time is best for them that day. Hang in there. And maybe try a different doc in the practice. Different people have different styles.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I can't believe that the doctor wouldn't take some blood to test your progesterone and HCG! In fact, that is something most OBs do the first time you go in for an appointment!! I definitely feel like maybe you should be seeing a different doctor.

As for the brown spotting and cramping. That's normal. You should only be concerned if the blood is red, you have severe cramps, and your filling more than one pad an hour.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Wow your doctor is pretty lame!! I would be upset. I also had a previous miscarriage and my doctor is checking hcg and progesterone levels. She also put me on progesterone the day I got my bfp.
    If your progesterone happens to be low you want to supplement asap! Spotting is very common and could mean something or nothing, but having a blood draw is a very good idea, just in case.
    Good luck!!