September 2015 Moms
Options

To give a soother or not?

My baby is 6 weeks old today. We haven't given a soother to him at all. Sometimes I wonder when I fed him if he could of held
Off on soothed for awhile before eating. are you giving a soother? I don't want to give a soother..... I feel that I can soothe him..

Re: To give a soother or not?

• Options
    We gave our baby a pacifier the second night in the hospital ... he wouldn't calm down no matter what we did and I desperately just needed one hour of sleep. He had a good latch already and was a champ at breastfeeding. We use a pacifier maybe once a day for 30 minutes or so, usually at night when baby is really fussy and he looks like he wants to suck but just ate not long ago. Sucking is a natural instinct in babies and some feel the urge to suck more than others. We will try everything else to soothe baby first, but sometimes it's the only thing that does the trick.

Here's an article that discusses the pros and cons: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/pacifiers/art-20048140

We like the Soothies and Soothies WubbaNub best. The WubbaNub has a little stuffed animal attached which helps weight it down so it doesn't fall out of baby's mouth as easy. Our baby loves to hold onto his little WubbaNub frog. You just would want to use the normal Soothies if using during bedtime since a stuffed animal in the crib would be a no-no.
  • Options
    Your going to want something for when he's teething I've learned. Right now my DD doesn't take them and I'm not sure what I'm guna do to calm her when that time comes. I'm hoping a blanket will be sufficient
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like you need to use a soother. You wouldn't want to hold off the feeding with one, because sucking releases CCK and might make baby feel satiated without eating enough, and then need to eat again sooner.

I decided not to offer one til 6 weeks, but by then she was doing fine and settles easily, so I'm not going to introduce it. DD1 never used one, and it was so nice not having to take it away. She bonded with her Sophie, but never sucked her thumb.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first never took a binkie.  DS2 will sometimes but he is picky and only likes a certain kind.  Pacifiers may reduce the risk of SIDS in infants.
  • Options
    TabulaRasa25TabulaRasa25 member
    edited October 2015
    We do one when he cries (he's not interested in one any other time), but didn't introduce it till 4 weeks and once his breastfeeding/latch was solid and established. He's been very soothed by sucking since birth... sucked his fingers from day one. His ultrasound pics also often showed him thumbsucking.
  • Options
    We offer it when he's fussy(and we know he's full, dry diaper, and otherwise comfortable) and most the time it just makes him more upset. He won't take it if he's gassy or grunting. He does love it after nursing and bottle before bed. This is when he wants to suck before bed. He will take it immediately, got to town for about 3-5 min(my finger is in the green soothie keeping it in), but then he spits it out on his own when he falls asleep. Doctor said it reduces the risk of SIDS in infants so I'm seeing that as another perk!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GIVING AN INFANT A SOOTHIE.....so don't feel bad about it! :)