2nd Trimester
Options

Persistent bladder infection/UTI

Hello ladies, I wanted to start a discussion to see if others are having my same problem. It seems like since the month I became pregnant (before missed period) I've had a stubborn bladder infection that just doesn't want to seem to go away. Being 13 going on 14 weeks, I'm a bit worried. My OB has already given me a round of prescription for it and it still is sticking around. I'm not in pain but (TMI) when I urinate, it smells awful. I know untreated infections can be deadly for the fetus however, I'm wondering if you're taking meds for it and it's still around, if it can have the same potential consequences as untreated. TIA!

Re: Persistent bladder infection/UTI

• Options
    R u sure it's a bladder infection? I'm asking because bladder infections are extremely painful. I've never heard of a bladder infection that's only symptom is smelly urine. I would suggest getting another Urinalysis from your obgyn and making sure that it is in fact still the bladder infection, and if it is then tell him/her you are concerned it is not going away.-- if it is still a bladder infection they should do a urine culture to determine the most appropriate antibiotics to prescribe. Just as a side note though, smelly urine could be because of diet or any other number of things. Good luck, hope u get it all resolved.
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 I'm actually not really sure what it is at this point. At my initial non prenatal appointment, I was told it was a bladder infection and again at my first prenatal appointment. I'm a normally "healthy" eater, with occasional fast food. I've never had my urine smell this way and my diet is pretty consistent with water involved; I don't drink sodas either. So it's just crazy to me that it is still here. I'll have them take a closer look at a urine sample again at my coming appointment.
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I had to guess, you probably had one that did get resolved with the antibiotics. I've gotten them on and off for years, and sometimes they do linger but usually once the pain is gone that means the infection is gone. But- it's definitely better to talk to your doc if you're concerned...always better to be safe then sorry! :-) good luck!