June 2016 Moms
Options

Low Thyroid?

So my nurse just called and told me my blood work came back "abnormal" for low thyroid.

She proceeded to ask about my family history with thyroid issues, and my personal issues with it (which there are none).

Then she said, well I guess it could be from your hormones. We will test again in the second tri. Don't worry.

So what do I do? Google it. Eff me.

Anyone else have experience with this? Any thoughts?
Married: June 25, 2011
DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

Re: Low Thyroid?

• Options
    Did you doctor say how low your thyroid level was? 
  • Options
    @izzyp25 they didn't give me a number. Low enough to monitor, but not to treat. But she said I was as low as they allow to not be medicated.

DST T4L

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had thyroid disorder since 5th grade . Both my mom and sister have it as well And they both have issues with MC and I think this is why . Our is severe though so as soon as I found out I was prego my first stop was straight to my doctor to get it tested ! Mine was already low at 4w so they adjusted it and I am going to get it tested every 3 week until I deliver but that is because mine is pretty severe . It's a good thing that they tested though and is extremely common for women's thyroid to go out of whack after you get pregnant. If it's just slightly low enough for her not to worry about I would not be concerned . However I would make sure she tests you every month . It can change throughout your pregnancy so chances are if it is slightly low now then in a month or so it may need attention. (Basically another daily pill) . It's a good thing you know I would just make sure to keep the doctor accountable with testing it monthly . On a good side note it's awesome that your doctor did check it ! Most of them don't unless requested
  • Options
    I know that a lot of different doctors/labs have their own 'normal range' when is comes to thyroid hormones. I would trust your doctor but request more info if it is making you anxious. The google machine tells me that subclinical hyperthyroidism occurs in 10-20% of normal pregnant woman and most typically don't require treatment. 

• Options
    I don't have any advice, other then to request your lab results for your own medical files that you keep at home. Also, you might "need" it for quick reference if you end up switching OBs your next pregnancy. I keep all my medical stuff in a file, which is so helpful.
  • Options
    I just got back from my endocrinologist. I've been borderline hyperthyroid due to some nodules. Your hormones can do a whammy on your thyroid; some women become hyper- or hypothyroid, some get worse, and some become normal for the gestational period. My doctor did an U/S on my thyroid and did a blood draw to check my levels. She expects me back monthly to just keep an eye on things.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't Google it.... and I wouldn't ignore it unless you really trust your dr. Or his assistant.
  • Options
    I have no advice.  I just want to say hi!  :)
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had the same issue with my last pregnancy. My initial bloodwork came back with low thyroid, and remained that way for the duration of my pregnancy. My thyroid levels weren't crazy low, but just low enough that I was put on medication. The worst part about the medication was that you had to take it in the morning, and then wait an HOUR to eat breakfast. That's not a hugely pregnant woman's dream! Haha!

My hypothyroidism went away after I have birth. I didn't get a call after my initial bloodwork this pregnancy, so I'm assuming it didn't come back. Trust your doctor on this one, IMO. Pregnancy hormones do crazy things to your body!
  • Options
    Ooooo @huskerfamily I love you.

DST T4L

• Options
    I love you more @nicknshan!!
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thyroid swings are TOTALLY NORMAL during and after pregnancy. There are actually different ranges of 'normal' for each trimester. It is not uncommon for you to need a script for some part of your pregnancy, or be borderline and leave it untreated without issue. I personally have had hypothyroidism since 11; interestingly, my numbers stayed in range throughout my whole first pregnancy then plummeted a few months after birth. This time, they are already out of range.