2nd Trimester
Options

Why find out baby's sex before birth?

So this might be opening up a can of worms (and I'm a newb!), but I genuinely want to know. Having read some heated exchanges on these boards about gender norms, I'm wondering what reasons folks have for finding out their baby's sex before birth. Does curiosity get the best of you? Are there reasons besides gendered purchases that I haven't thought of and ought to consider?

My plan now is not to find out, though I admit I'm curious. I'll also admit I plan to have a boy name and a girl name ready....though I've tried to think of one name that would work for both. (And there's a tension there in that I think traditionally boy names would probably be perceived by society at large as more acceptable for a girl than vice versa. Ugh!)

If you have picked out a good boy+girl name, too, I'd love to hear it!

Re: Why find out baby's sex before birth?

• Options
    I would guess the main reason people want to know the baby's sex is to have that knowledge while picking out names/registry items/nursery items etc. Then there are others that like the surprise and therefore just pick gender neutral items. I'm sure there are tons of other reasons on both sides, I'm just speaking in general.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is just my opinion, but even though I don't want to push strict gender norms on my children, I will definitely dress them in gender specific clothing when they are babies. People are dumb, and if you don't have a girl wearing a huge bow on her head, they'll think it's a boy. It would be a pain to correct people.

With the names, a lot of people like to put their child's name in the nursery or have things monogrammed.

We will do a different nursery depending on the sex. Not overly gender specific, just more of a compromise between my husband and my own different preferences :)
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I just simply wanted to know. It never even crossed my mind to keep it a surprise. I wanted to plan and buy things and just simply wanted to know!

My feelings exactly.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I'll shamefully admit I'm a control freak and have to have everything planned is essentially why I've always wanted to know. For a boy we've decided on Parker Everet and for a girl McKenzie June (although we are calling her June...long story and I think it's stupid not to name her June McKenzie).
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    I wanted to have the nursery ready and clothing purchased in advanced. Baby is due in dead of winter and it's not easy to go to the store and buy anything. Nearest Walmart is 20 min each way. Babies R Us is 45 minutes. So it's just better for us to do as much in advance as possible.
  • Options

I'll shamefully admit I'm a control freak and have to have everything planned is essentially why I've always wanted to know. For a boy we've decided on Parker Everet and for a girl McKenzie June (although we are calling her June...long story and I think it's stupid not to name her June McKenzie).

I like how McKenzie June sounds better than the other way around. I may be biased but I don't see a problem with mainly using a middle name instead of a first. My youngest son goes by his middle name. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I feel that no matter when you find out if is still a surprise. I decided to find out so that I could feel more of a connection with him and not refer to the baby as an "it". I also wanted to get outfits and everything set up. I didn't want to be worrying about buying clothes immediately after birth like my sister did.
  • Options
    I am just curious & like to know. It also helps me pick out names.

What does girl + boy names mean? Unisex names?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I chose not to find out, but the anticipation is killing me. I understand why most people find out as soon as they can, it's just exciting.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pregnant with baby #4 and I also just wanted to know. I think it would be neat to wait till delivery but I prefer not to. I do like to plan and be prepared. I personally did not want all gender neutral things. It was still a surprise and exciting finding out at our anatomy scan for each baby.
  • Options
    I'm far too impatient to wait until birth, but being able to pick a name makes me feel more connected to baby before she is here. Plus as a FT single mom I need to be as prepared as possible! I like a lot of gender neutral items, but in creating a registry it just really helped me make certain choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was dying to know. I have a lot of girls in my family so I wanted to know if I was sticking with the girls or breaking the cycle with a boy.

Also, I like to have things ready so I was able to pick out nursery bedding, pick a name, customize some things on the registry to be more boyish or girly (I have a lot of neutral for future children) and then I can call my LO by their name or something to feel even more of a connection instead of "it."

Like others have said if they are finding out, just exciting to know!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was dying to know. I have a lot of girls in my family so I wanted to know if I was sticking with the girls or breaking the cycle with a boy.

Also, I like to have things ready so I was able to pick out nursery bedding, pick a name, customize some things on the registry to be more boyish or girly (I have a lot of neutral for future children) and then I can call my LO by their name or something to feel even more of a connection instead of "it."

This, among other reasons, is sort of why I am NOT finding out. We have loads and loads of girls in our family. And the last thing I want to hear for the next five months is about how my baby should be one or the other sex. Or how my parents would be disappointed to not have a grandson (they have 4 grand daughters) or equally stupid crap. I also just.....don't want to know.....but part of it def stems from not wanting the commentary. Which, btw, I know will come regardless.
  • Options
    @PrimRoseMama yes I was thinking unisex names. Extra tough because we are looking for Hispanic names.

Thanks for all the feedback, ladies. I guess after seeing a mama get sort of pounced on in another thread for saying she'd rather her son not play with traditionally girl toys (and I agreed with that pouncing!), I thought maybe there'd be a non-gendered reason people on these boards want to find out baby's sex....but planning a nursery and picking clothes still relate to gender (boy norms, girl norms). And I don't fault anybody for sticking with those norms to a small or large extent in the baby years--it's just a personal choice.

On the other hand, plain old curiosity, wanting to call LO by name in utero, and putting baby's name on baby items don't seem directly related to gender. Curiosity is the only one of these we might be tempted by, so we will see if we can stick with our team green decision!

I also think the mistaken sex issue is a good point I hadn't thought of. A big bow definitely says "I'm a girl." And bows are so freaking cute...! Though my friends and family will all know if LO is a girl or boy, and I don't care if strangers can figure it out or not. But the cuteness is undeniable, so I may have a bow or two on standby just because of that.
  • Options

I looked at it this way: the birth is going to be a surprise whether you know the sex or not.  There is going to be a lot to be excited about on the day you give birth.  However, halfway through your pregnancy, there's not much to be excited about.  You're gaining weight, you're tired, you're uncomfortable, some women are still sick, etc.  I thought finding out the sex was a nice "halfway point" surprise.  I liked having something to look forward to at 20 weeks.  I also feel like it made the pregnancy more "real" for DH when we started calling the baby "her" instead of "it."

We also wanted to know the sex so that we could compile our list of potential names ahead of time.  We wound up bringing 5 names to the hospital with us.  We thought we'd fight about names (which we actually didn't) so we figured why bother arguing about names for the sex that we wouldn't even need right now, and might never need.

Most of our newborn clothes were gender neutral anyway (as is everything in the nursery and all of our "big stuff" because we plan to have a second baby eventually, if we are able).  But it gets progressively more difficult to find gender neutral clothing in larger sizes.  Newborn clothes don't last long, and we wanted stuff in 3 and 6 month size as well; knowing the sex helped us with buying that stuff ahead of time.  DD does still wear some gender neutral stuff though (i try to buy things like PJs gender neutral so we can potentially use them again).

I will say that SIL didn't find out with her son, and isn't finding out with her current pregnancy either, and she really enjoyed that surprise.  Even though she admitted that when her son was born she didn't even hear the "it's a boy!"  She realized it was a boy becaues when they put him on her chest he immediately started peeing against her.  Haha.

• Options
    Somersky said:
    @PrimRoseMama yes I was thinking unisex names. Extra tough because we are looking for Hispanic names. Thanks for all the feedback, ladies. I guess after seeing a mama get sort of pounced on in another thread for saying she'd rather her son not play with traditionally girl toys (and I agreed with that pouncing!), I thought maybe there'd be a non-gendered reason people on these boards want to find out baby's sex....but planning a nursery and picking clothes still relate to gender (boy norms, girl norms). And I don't fault anybody for sticking with those norms to a small or large extent in the baby years--it's just a personal choice. On the other hand, plain old curiosity, wanting to call LO by name in utero, and putting baby's name on baby items don't seem directly related to gender. Curiosity is the only one of these we might be tempted by, so we will see if we can stick with our team green decision! I also think the mistaken sex issue is a good point I hadn't thought of. A big bow definitely says "I'm a girl." And bows are so freaking cute...! Though my friends and family will all know if LO is a girl or boy, and I don't care if strangers can figure it out or not. But the cuteness is undeniable, so I may have a bow or two on standby just because of that.

You can get away with bows if they are bow-ties! ;)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    @delujm0 The story about your SIL is too funny!! I totally agree about the halfway point need for a jolt of excitement. The main reason I want to wait is to avoid gender stereotypes, and the bonus is hopefully having plenty of hand-me-downs if we are lucky enough to have more babies down the line. I also want hubby to tell me the baby's sex in the delivery room--I'm so looking forward to the surprise. Until then, I'll take the pursuit of gender neutral items as a fun challenge! (There are some cool startup companies that only sell gender neutral kids' clothes, though I don't know if they sell baby stuff--but probably do.)

@PrimRoseMama I love the bow ties idea! You just gave me another Friday distraction...bow ties for babies.
  • Options
    @somersky : There are some adorable tutorials on pinterest for some super cute, classy bow ties. There are even some adorable knit caps for boys that will make you want to DIE.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    sarahufl said:

This, among other reasons, is sort of why I am NOT finding out. We have loads and loads of girls in our family. And the last thing I want to hear for the next five months is about how my baby should be one or the other sex. Or how my parents would be disappointed to not have a grandson (they have 4 grand daughters) or equally stupid crap. I also just.....don't want to know.....but part of it def stems from not wanting the commentary. Which, btw, I know will come regardless.

My DH and I found out we are having a boy. This will be the third boy out of 3 grandchildren for my parents. I don't feel the slightest bit that I disappointed them, mostly because my child's sex isn't about them. But also because I'm not disappointed! As for all of the comments, I've already heard " your family only makes boys" to which I shut down pretty quickly by saying DH determined the gender.
  • Options

For my first, I wasn't in a good financial situation, so I wanted to find out in order to plan as best as we could (aka getting baby clothes/bedding etc).  Unfortunately baby kept its legs crossed and the most I got out of the tech was 60% girl, which I couldn't go by.  In the end we did end up having a girl, but she was a preemie and the hospital provided us with some clothes because she was so tiny (even the preemie stuff in the stores was too big- we ended up buying her Cabbage Patch clothes for her first couple months home).

So this one I wanted to find out because I couldn't find out for the last one, and again, so I could plan appropriately- my child is now 11 and I had gotten rid of all my stuff when she was 5.  I have NOTHING for this one as far as clothes. Well this one too has decided to be stubborn and cross its legs.  I was (and still am a little) heartbroken over this.  I just wanna know! As a catch 22, baby is also transverse, and I have a low lying placenta.  Sucks for those issues but it does give me another couple chances to get a peak and hopefully see some boy or girl parts! 

As for rude comments, my mother has laughed in my face because we were unable to find out again, and she is all "you aren't supposed to know because its more fun not to".  But in the same breath she will tell me I "better" have a girl.  Can't have it both ways!  Just because she didn't want to know doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to.

February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    When my friend had a baby last year they opted not to find out her sex ahead of time. I had a really difficult time finding gender-neutral items. My husband and I agreed a long time ago that we always want to know what parts the kid has ASAP. While we don't plan to force any gender-specific bs on our children, there's a good chance they'll identify with what parts they have. Baby was getting a blue and gray nursery with owls regardless of sex, so that didn't matter for us. Plain curiosity, finding enough clothes, and baby names motivated us.
  • Options
    For me I am a planner and I like to know every detail. I also don't like surprises. Because of this we will be finding out. The nursery will be grey no matter which sex. Also I will be picking out boy and girl names before we find out as I plan on having more than one and I want to make sure all the names go together and none seem out of place. Also as PP mentioned, when I have been out in the stores looking there just aren't as many gender neutral clothes/items as there used to be. I think it's because most people find out now a days.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    When my friend had a baby last year they opted not to find out her sex ahead of time. I had a really difficult time finding gender-neutral items. My husband and I agreed a long time ago that we always want to know what parts the kid has ASAP. While we don't plan to force any gender-specific bs on our children, there's a good chance they'll identify with what parts they have. Baby was getting a blue and gray nursery with owls regardless of sex, so that didn't matter for us. Plain curiosity, finding enough clothes, and baby names motivated us.
    In my experience, if you want gender-neutral, you have to shop in the boys department.
  • Options
    @sarahufl Very good point. That bothers me in a few different ways that are hard to pin down! (Like my own biases coming out when I wince at the thought of dressing a baby boy in a tutu outfit, but I don't wince at putting a baby girl in traditionally boy clothes....)

To clarify, we won't wait til birth to buy anything or plan anything--for us, I don't think there's anything for which we really need to know the sex before LO arrives. In fact, we will get everything ready before hand so we aren't tempted to stock up on super gender-specific items right after birth. But finding appealing gender neutral items could be tough. (Boys' section, here we come...)
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

In my experience, if you want gender-neutral, you have to shop in the boys department.

I did get a few "boy" outfits (with matching bows just in case). I still find it difficult. I don't even want to dress my boy in outfits with baseballs and trucks. I just want cute animals! Lol
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

Yup.  Me too.  Several of DD's neutral footed PJs i only saw because i clicked on the "baby boy" link instead of the "baby girl" link on Carter's online...even though there is no reason that they couldn't work for both (for example, one pair has grey owls on it, another has orange foxes...they are otherwise identical to the items on the "girl" page).  It's weird that i saw a few truly neutral items on the girl link, but not all.  I don't see why orange foxes mean "boy."  Dump trucks, ok.  Footballs, fine.  But animals?  No animal is more masculine/feminine than any other animal (unless that animal is wearing a pink dress or something, which sounds insane but is seriously a thing that happens on baby clothing).  WTF.

• Options
    H&M has really cute gender neutral clothing.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    me & my SO were just waaay too curious/impatient. plus, it makes shopping & setting up the nursery a lot easier, in my opinion.
  • Options
    @krisdee123 You totally get where I'm coming from! I do understand the bonding thing, too, though.

@BostonTerrior2008 Yes! I'm so excited for the surprise!

I know my side of the family will not be surprised that we are waiting to find out--it's kind of a tradition with the women in my family. But DH's side might be surprised. They're also some pretty bad offenders when it comes to gender stereotyping, so this will be one big adventure. Luckily DH agrees with me (well, maybe that's not really luck...we are a pretty good match!).
  • Options
    I found out because I could. Why not? And I also hate surprises.
    Also, I don't think there's any correlation between parents pushing the gender norm and finding out the sex.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    We didn't find out by a nurse on a computer screen. The tech printed the photo with the sex and gave it to us in an envelope. We went to dinner and opened it together in private.
  • Options
    Somersky said:

So this might be opening up a can of worms (and I'm a newb!), but I genuinely want to know. Having read some heated exchanges on these boards about gender norms, I'm wondering what reasons folks have for finding out their baby's sex before birth. Does curiosity get the best of you? Are there reasons besides gendered purchases that I haven't thought of and ought to consider?

My plan now is not to find out, though I admit I'm curious. I'll also admit I plan to have a boy name and a girl name ready....though I've tried to think of one name that would work for both. (And there's a tension there in that I think traditionally boy names would probably be perceived by society at large as more acceptable for a girl than vice versa. Ugh!)

If you have picked out a good boy+girl name, too, I'd love to hear it!

Hey, I thought i would finally bring this up, it completely melts my heart when i read all the gender announcement etc threads. Its so totaly awesome that all you ladies have the option to find out the gender of your LO before he or she is born. I just wanted to share with you all a lesser known fact, that in my country, there are extremely strict laws against any gender determination or reference to the gender of an unborn child. Its very very sad and upseting but its largely because of the high rate of female foeticide here and the extents that people are willing to go to, to have a boy.
    Infact all my u/s are limited to the number the doc prescribed and even during it they refer strictly refer to the LO as "the baby" and divulge only the necessary info eg; health, position etc. Even the u/s pics i have saved in my file are of specific parts only like head etc.
    At the anatomy scan, for which as FTM my husband and i were extremely excited, we were allowed to see only bits and pieces of the whole process and when we saw the first complete shot the LO on the screen, it was zoomed out and quite blurred as well.

So though its absolutely a personal choice whether or not you want to know the gender of your child, from my standpoint all you ladies for a moment should appreciate the fact that you atleast have that choice!!!
  • Options

I found out because I could. Why not? And I also hate surprises.
    Also, I don't think there's any correlation between parents pushing the gender norm and finding out the sex.

I don't agree. Why is it then that when people hear it's a girl the first things they look for is pink, purple, flowers, etc. They hear boy they look for trucks, cars, blue, dinosaurs.

I was at a shower the mom was bombarded with 50 onesies/outfits size NB-12 months that were pink in some variation (75 people were at the shower). It was too much pink. It was crazy.

Any shower I have been to in which they found out the gifts (for the most part) were geared to that sex. Very stereotypical items for that sex.
    @BostonTerrior2008 That's not what I'm talking about. I said 'parents pushing the gender norm', not others around them. Im saying that just because someone wants to find out, it doesn't mean that they are more likely to push the gender norm more than someone who doesn't want to find out.

I found out with my first and 99% of my shower presents were from the registry, which were all gender neutral non clothing items. I got some clothes but they weren't all blue.

I found out with my first and with this pregnancy. My first has long hair (to his shoulders) and in addition to liking construction toys, loves playing with my makeup. I don't discourage him. In fact I just taught him( as much as you can with a 2 yr old) the difference between a brow gel and mascara ( he thought my brow gel was mascara- similar shape).
    You may be right that people prefer to buy gender specific gifts for moms who find out, but Im talking about the parents, not people around them.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    I found out simply because I wanted to know and I could. 

I'm also older and have always been very independent. The thought that I'm actually carrying a child is incredibly surreal to me and a bit unbelievable. I also felt convinced that something would go wrong the first trimester, and still have those doubts. Finding out the sex gave me my first real detail about the new human in my life and made it feel a lot more real. 

Additionally, while I was completely ambivalent about boy/girl, my SO had always visualized the child as a girl. He was always won over by the idea of a mini version of me and having a father/daughter relationship. Finding out that we're expecting a boy now, means he'll have more than 6 months to reset his view of fatherhood and get used to the idea of a son instead. It's been two or three weeks since we found out the sex, and I can already see him getting excited about having a boy. I'm glad we didn't wait until the birth and mar that first day with him having to reset his expectations instead of just experiencing joy at the birth of his child. 
  • Options
    I did not find out the sex, and while I was REALLY curious and sometimes felt like I was just dying to know... It was still really fun not knowing. I know some bumpies frown upon the old wives tales, but if you realize they are exactly that - old wives tales and not anything that means anything about anything - it was fun to try and guess the sex based on the OWT. My DH and I would have fun with it 'oh, you're eating candy! Its a girl!'. Also, we really enjoyed how frustrated everyone around us was with not knowing. Family, co-workers, friends, all dying to know.
    My medical team was excited about us not knowing, tho. The nurses in the delivery room and my OB were almost on their toes with excitement to see what we had. It was a lot of fun being Team Green. We probably won't have any more kids, but if we do, I'm totally doing it again.

Just a note on Team Green, tho - be your own advocate about the secret being kept. I used to tell my nurses as soon as they called my name in the waiting room "don't say what the baby's sex is!!". I found out later they didn't know either because it had not been noted in the chart, because I had also said the same thing to our ultrasound tech as soon as I saw her. There were two or three women in my bmb who had their surprise ruined because of a slip of the tongue on the medical team's part, or one gal was reviewing her lab results thru her patient portal and the sex was right there to be seen in her genetic testing. So don't let anyone ruin the surprise for you, and be careful you don't ruin it for yourself
  • Options
    I'm Team Green and happy with this decision. I know it's a surprise when you find out either way but I'm sure finding out at delivery is much more exciting.
    I'm going to have plenty of neutral clothing ready and apart from being able to do a 'gender specific' nursery (which I'm not doing) I really don't see any actual benefit to finding out in advance. Not to knock people who do obviously, it's such a personal decision.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker