December 2015 Moms
Options

Epidural and Scoliosis?

So I have diagnosed with scoliosis as a child and my midwife has scheduled a consult with a anaesthesiologist for next week who informed me over the phone that depending on how severe sometimes an epidural just can't happen. While this does not concern as far as pain management goes as I had planned on having a natural delivery, my concern  is for a c-section. I was told that if they can't do the spinal, then you're put under, and while I am praying and hoping for no c-section I am being realistic and realize it could very well happen, I 100% do not want to be out when my baby is brought into this world. 

Has anyone had experience with this? Maybe I just need some good vibes, as I know this is a case by case thing and no one is going to have the same story, it'd be just nice to hear some good ones. 

Re: Epidural and Scoliosis?

• Options
    I have a rod put on 3/4 of my spine and the doctor was able to do the epidural with my DD, it just took some time. But the bad thing is he was the only one in the hospital willing to do it, and I just found out he retired this year. :(
  • Options
    I've been wondering this too. I have scoliosis as well. It isnt severe or anything, and I don't have any rods in my back & I haven't had to have surgeries or anything. It's just a curvature of my lower spine and it hurts a little bit every now and then but nothing extreme at all. I've been wondering how this will affect my getting an epidural, if it will at all. I'll of course have to talk to my OB.

Definitely interested in hearing some stories though...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mbecca11 said:

I've been wondering this too. I have scoliosis as well. It isnt severe or anything, and I don't have any rods in my back & I haven't had to have surgeries or anything. It's just a curvature of my lower spine and it hurts a little bit every now and then but nothing extreme at all. I've been wondering how this will affect my getting an epidural, if it will at all. I'll of course have to talk to my OB.

Definitely interested in hearing some stories though...

I think you should be fine! They were more concerned because of my rod. If he some how missed and got the rod it could get infected and have to be taken out.

• Options
    I do not have scoliosis, however, I have had a consult with an anesthesiologist. Actually, I was told that putting in an epidural or spinal is much easier for labor and delivery because it goes lower in the back where the spaces between the vertebrae are larger. Much easier to get in then the ones that they put higher for abdominal surgeries.

I was also told that if they need to do general, they get you onto the operating table and prep you (clean your torso, e.g.) prior to the administration of the anesthesia. I was told that they can get the baby out in about 90 seconds and that is sooner then it would take for the anesthesia to hit the baby's system.

However, I am not a doctor and I think the anesthesiologist that you meet with will have a much better idea about what could happen for you personally. My situation doesn't dictate yours.
  • Options
    I just met with the anesthesiologist today for scoliosis. I had an S curve, which they surgically corrected the top of, but let the lower half correct itself, which it did for the most part. Based on my curvature and where my fusion is, my anesthesiologist didn't see any reason why an epidural would be any different for me than for anyone else. Actually the appointment was more her explaining the general risks and side effects, which I really appreciated. Obviously, she looked at my records and my back as well, but I liked hearing everything from a doctor rather than reading it on the internet :)
    Just an encouraging word!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a fusion?  If so, it really will depend where your curvature and correction is located. 

I had a fusion at 13 for lumbar scoliosis.  I brought a copy of my most recent x-rays to the hospital with me when in labor so the anesthesiologist could review. He felt that a spinal or epidural would not work due to the high amount of scar tissue.  I had a natural delivery with no epidural. 

This time around, I also will have a drug free birth.  If I have to have a C-section, yes, I know I'll be put under general.  I've discussed the plan with my OB (baby will be checked and then given to my husband; I'll see the baby as soon as they can wake me in recovery.)  I want to nurse as quickly as possible.  She was very reassuring that the baby has no ill effects from the general--they get them out quickly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I'm the one with the horror story. It never occurred to us to mention the scoliosis, it's so mild. An hour and a half later, 14 puncture holes in my back and it didn't take. Maybe 10% and it was down the outside of my right leg. Not where you need it! The poor anesthesiologist used everything in his cart, clogged his needles and was sweating buckets.
  • Options
    BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited October 2015
    kimb311 said:

I'm the one with the horror story. It never occurred to us to mention the scoliosis, it's so mild. An hour and a half later, 14 puncture holes in my back and it didn't take. Maybe 10% and it was down the outside of my right leg. Not where you need it! The poor anesthesiologist used everything in his cart, clogged his needles and was sweating buckets.

Have you already consulted with an anesthesiologist? Is there anyway that they could possibly placed it under guided ultrasound? That might make it much easier. Had IVs placed under guided u/s. Immediately, I can think of several options for you. They could place the line before you need it (possibly in interventional radiology) if you have an induction. They can look at old x-rays of your spine and see where the curvature goes to try to get an idea of between which vertebrate place it, best increasing their odds of success. Also, is your hospital offering nitrous oxide?

*typo
  • Options
    I have lower back scoliosis. It's mild but there's a definite curvature. I had an epidural with my first and i did mention the scoliosis to the anesthesiologist before he applied it. There were no issues and hoping for no issues this time too. 
  • Options

kimb311 said:

Have you already consulted with an anesthesiologist? Is there anyway that they could possibly placed it under guided ultrasound? That might make it much easier. Had IVs placed under guided u/s. Immediately, I can think of several options for you. They could place the line before you need it (possibly in interventional radiology) if you have an induction. They can look at old x-rays of your spine and see where the curvature goes to try to get an idea of between which vertebrate place it, best increasing their odds of success. Also, is your hospital offering nitrous oxide?

*typo
    I just talked to my OB about it yesterday. And she seems to think I will be ok. But I think I'll ask for a consult at my next visit. I mean, I made it through the delivery without it, but I would really prefer to have one!
  • Options
    I also have an S curve. I don't have rods or a fusion. With my first child I mentioned to the anesthesiologist that I had this S curve. He said that it is good that we told them. He said that it shouldn't be a problem but they used extra local to numb the area in case they had to spend more time trying to find the space. He also said that it may take a little longer as he needed to find landmarks and determine best way around the curve. My epidural worked great. And I will be having another epidural with DD this time around. Good luck!
  • Options
    Not scoliosis but I do have swayback. I worried about it but had no issue getting the epidural right away (except contractions being on top of each other) and had no side effects.

My mom has been told she has narrow spacing and had difficulties with both deliveries and getting the epidural to work (two c-sections). The first one technically failed but worked enough to get through. The second they did have to put her under. She was able to see me as soon as she was out of recovery and was able to breastfeed then. If you want to do skin-to-skin your partner can do this until you can. I will say though, if this happens have someone take pictures they can show you as soon as you're awake. I had a vaginal birth but couldn't see DS right away (although he was in the room and I could hear him). Pictures were a godsend until I could hold him.
  • Options
    Not me personally but I was just talking to DS' babysitter about this the other night. She has scoliosis and had a couple of back surgeries as a kid... she had the best anesthesiologist in the area and they weren't able to get it to take. She ended up needing a c-section and she had to be intubated and put under for the procedure. Not to scare you but that's the only "experience" I have with the situation!
  • Options
    This is super interesting, I have scoliosis too but haven't thought about this. I'll be sure to try to get my x-rays and bring them for anethesiologist just in case!
  • Options
    Slightly related, but I actually found out that I have slight scoliosis from my anesthesiologist when he was doing the epidural for my first child. It wasn't a problem, but it reminded me that when I was 7 or so, the school nurse flagged me during her preliminary scoliosis screening. My quack of a pediatrician said I was fine. "Straight as an arrow," I remember him saying. 

It obviously didn't progress and it might not have mattered either way, but it's still really really annoying to me. 

(This same doctor also misdiagnosed my friend's bone cancer as appendicitis, so.... ) 
  • Options
    Since being diagnosed as a child, I have had no treatments or any other appointments regarding my back, so I'm assuming it is nothing major for me. Thank you all for thee feedback! Definitely helps allievate a bit of the anxiety. :) 
  • Options
    I have an s curve and it definitely isn't a mild one. I was concerned with my first pregnancy about an epidural and ended up needing a csection. No issues here. Definitely something to mention to the OB and perhaps get an anesthesia consult prior. I will be having a scheduled csection this time around.