November 2015 Moms
Options

Total AW... boots and late onset swelling

oooonerooooner member
edited October 2015 in November 2015 Moms
Pure AW post here and I am long winded so if you do not like to read lengthy stories, please move along! :)

FTM, 37w1d, so excited to meet my baby boy. I think I've had a fairly "easy" pregnancy when compared to others and for that I am very grateful... meaning apart from morning sickness in the 1st tri and sheer exhaustion the entire time, baby and I have been doing just fine.

To the point... after a long day at work Wednesday, I came home and as always, went to take my dog out. Since it's been raining like crazy here in the Carolinas, I put on my huge Hunter rain boots to not mess up my good shoes in the mud. The boots go most of the way up my calves and I thought they felt a little tighter than usual, but didn't think much of it and went to spend some time with my fur baby in the back yard.

Well... after we came back inside, I went to take off the boots... all I can say is FAIL. I literally could not get them off... I tugged and yanked... these boots were not budging! Eventually I had to have my man pull each boot off and it took all his strength. I had to hold onto something sturdy while he was pulling, otherwise my leg and subsequently the rest of me was going with the boot when he pulled!

Naturally my significant other was laughing the entire time, and it is funny now of course, but I did not think so at the time!!! Once I was able to see my lower legs, it was not a pretty sight. I started freaking out and all I wanted to do was call my Mommy and cry! How pathetic is that?

Since this is the first time I have experienced swelling like this, I am curious if anyone else is also having late onset edema, too? I do understand that for a lot of other women out there, swelling has been the norm for some time... and bless you... but I am specifically curious about late onset like this. I haven't had any swelling whatsoever my entire pregnancy or life for that matter, and all of a sudden... bam, here it is.

I am so upset knowing the swelling could be the first sign of something more serious. I just walked out of the OBGYN's office. I had my second NST this week plus my 37 week appointment. Doc said my blood pressure is still within my normal range, no protein in my urine, but that I've put on 7 lbs in the last week alone... and she wonders how much of that is fluid. She said to get some compression socks, always lay on my left side (already do this) and stay away from extra salty foods. Since there aren't any other symptoms present, she seems to think I'm fine, but also said if at any point I experience a headache or vision changes, to call right away.

I wish I could say seeing the doc put my mind at ease but it definitely hasn't. I feel like it's just a waiting game for another symptom to show itself and then I'll be dealing with a blood clot or pre-eclampsia... my mind always goes to the worst possibility!

Seriously though... I am so over being pregnant, who is with me?? I keep telling my baby that it's time to get this show on the road! Technically he's fully cooked at this point, so I'm all for him coming at any time from now until my due date 11/18. I think if I go over my due date I'm going to lose it.

Thanks for reading... any helpful input would be appreciated. :)

Edited to fix a few typos

Re: Total AW... boots and late onset swelling

• Options
    Due 11/22, and I feel your pain. I had a very slow and steady weight gain (about 17 lb) up until around 31w, and then the swelling started. It literally was overnight. I've gained about 12lb in less than a month, and my midwife said based on how swollen my hands/ ankles/legs are, it's mostly water weight. Your doc probably told you this, but keep an eye out for sudden facial swelling, dizziness or vision issues. Call your doc immediately if any of those things happen.

Compression socks (full socks from toes to knees that I got at a sports store) saved my ankles, they were bruising from swelling so much. They made life a lot more comfortable! I also have no protein in my urine and a normal bp, and it's been over a month since my initial symptoms. So don't worry too much, we're probably both just feeling the joy of late pregnancy. :)
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @ColoradoHiker thank you for sharing your experience! Yes my doc did mention if I start to have any facial swelling, headaches or vision changes to call them right away. I too hadn't gained all that much weight until recently... as of today I've gained 35lbs total from my pre-pregnancy weight... 7 of those being the past week alone, so there's no way fluid isn't a good chunk of that. I'm sure you are right, that I'm stressing for nothing and that it is inevitable to swell this late in pregnancy. It's time to suck it up and buy some compression socks! I'm glad to hear they worked well for you. Thanks again for your input and best of luck to you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel your pain...I am due 11/24. Was put on bed rest 2 weeks ago due to swelling and told if I made it to 37 weeks we would talk about having a c section since my little girl is breech and doesn't have enough fluid to turn or be turned. Went to the MD today thinking they would set a date and a different doctor said no we will wait till 39 weeks since everything looks good and you can go back to work on monday if you want. I am so over being pregnant....needless to say I haven't been as lucky with having a good pregnancy I have been sick since day 1.
  • Options
    I found that when I lay on the couch. If I put my feet up on the arms of the couch so that they are higher than my heart it helps with the swelling immensely. My dr said I can put my feet up as much as I want but if they aren't higher than your heart it doesn't do any good. It at least temporarily alleviates some pain and swelling laying like that on the couch.

Only a few more weeks, hang in there!
  • Options
    I found that when I lay on the couch. If I put my feet up on the arms of the couch so that they are higher than my heart it helps with the swelling immensely. My dr said I can put my feet up as much as I want but if they aren't higher than your heart it doesn't do any good. It at least temporarily alleviates some pain and swelling laying like that on the co0uch. Only a few more weeks, hang in there!
    Thank you for the input! I have tried propping my feet up the past 2 nights, but it's difficult for me to keep them up high enough for any length of time to do any good. Naturally you have to lay on your back when propping and even though I prop my back up, too, I get really uncomfortable after a short while. The doc told me to lay on my left side for 15 minutes 3 times per day, so I'm going' to try to fit in some short breaks at work to do that. I already sleep on my left side exclusively but what sucks is that my left hip has become very sensitive given that I'm laying on it all the time. That hip just needs some rest which unfortunately won't be happening for a bit!  I always slept on my right side prior to pregnancy so I imagine I will go back to that side.  Thanks again and hope you have a lovely weekend..
  • Options
    I feel your pain...I am due 11/24. Was put on bed rest 2 weeks ago due to swelling and told if I made it to 37 weeks we would talk about having a c section since my little girl is breech and doesn't have enough fluid to turn or be turned. Went to the MD today thinking they would set a date and a different doctor said no we will wait till 39 weeks since everything looks good and you can go back to work on monday if you want. I am so over being pregnant....needless to say I haven't been as lucky with having a good pregnancy I have been sick since day 1.
    Oh wow...  that's not cool!!  I would be very upset to have expected to have the baby at 37 weeks as the docs originally said and then have it all switched up on you.  How frustrating...  especially given that 37 weeks is considered to be full-term.  Perhaps you should try to view the new circumstances as a good thing since it's usually better for baby to stay put until 40 weeks.  Just remind yourself your little girl will be even better off staying in your belly the extra time.  I'm also sorry to hear you have been sick from the beginning and it hasn't let up... that is brutal.  But you have made it this far... you are oh so close, almost there.  We can do it!!  Hang tight chica.
  • Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. 37w2d and all of a sudden, my feet are swelling like crazy. It hurts, and nothing much seems to be helping, except the swelling goes down after sleeping at night on my side. Last night, I was limping because my feet were so sensitive and sore from the swelling. I brought pillows to sit on at work, and have my feet propped on a box under my desk. Even just sitting seems to make it worse. I am down to one pair of flip flops that fit, I hope the weather doesn't get too cold before this baby comes because I have no actual shoes that will fit.

Have an appt this evening, but so far my BP has been normal, so the midwife wasn't worried when I called last night.

• Options
    I have had feet swelling since yesterday. Went to the dr today and my blood pressure was 196/106! They sent me straight to the hospital and now I am home on bed rest until monday. My point being.. Swelling was my only symptom, so if you don't feel right give your doctor a call or go get your blood pressure checked at rite aid. Best of luck to everyone!

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    My feet started swelling around 38 weeks- out of nowhere! My back, rib cage and pelvis hurt and I'm just done at 38 and a half weeks....I'm always uncomfortable! I have an appt Tuesday and hoping for some good news. I could def do more before the baby is born but at this point I don't care bc I'm just miserable :/