May 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone contemplating continuing the family name? ( Jr, III, IV, etc.)

My husband is the "third" in his family and I think we decided early on that if it's a boy that we'll continue the family name so hopefully we'll have the "fourth" on the way. Anyone else thinking about doing the same? If not, how come?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone contemplating continuing the family name? ( Jr, III, IV, etc.)

• Options
    My husband is a third, and goes by a nickname for three. His dad goes by a nickname that's not even related to his name.. Probably because the real name is terrible. My husband and I haven't discussed this thoroughly, but I will adamantly put my foot down and say no to having a fourth if we have a boy. There's no good nickname for Gerald, and I don't want to call my baby "Quad." :-q
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options

We almost named DS "___ Jr", but went against it.  I love my husband's name and in general, I think family names are nice, but I had a name I really wanted and Jr just felt like a runner-up name in case we couldn't agree on anything. 

In hindsight, I am glad we went with a different name.  My son is my husband's clone, it would have been too much for me if they had the same name AND the same face.

image        image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My SO is a 3rd, we have decided to go with the 4th if it's a boy. 4th nicknames are odd, so I'll be shortening the middle name to Rhett
  • Options
    I really love my husband's name and would love to carry the name on. My husband is not too keen on it. My father in law goes by a nickname of the 1st name. My husband goes by his middle. I'd want to use the 1st name as is. It was actually my boys name before I met my husband 10 years ago...Phillip. :x
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    My husband is a third as well. We have two boys and this conversation came up with our first pregnancy. I was on the fence. I understood the meaning and how symbolic and special it was, but I didn't like his name or nickname. And when all his family got together, you never knew which guy they were calling to, so they'd all answer. That's not a good reason, I know. But the kicker for me was when we were buying a house. Not everyone knows the importance to distinguish the Jr. Sr. III, so we had some of his dad's credit coming up on the credit report that we had to straighten out. All the men live in different cities, yet my Father-in-law will still get calls/mail meant for my husband that are random and not from people we know. I recommended names that used my husband's name in a way, but not using it fully, and my husband said it was "all or nothing." So, we went with nothing. But my husband came up with both of my sons' names and I love them! 
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Options
    My Dad's family did the father's first name for the son's middle name. Nice way of honoring the father/family without having a bunch of "thirds", etc.

For us, if this is a boy, his middle name will be my maiden name. My brother only has girls so the family name basically dies out with him.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options

I would've loved to have a Jr because I love the tradition of it... but I don't exactly love my husband's name. lol

I never noticed that "Kevin" always ends up being the weird/douche/pervy character on shows or movies...until I had one in my life.

I will say though... I always side eye people who have their second or third son as the Jr. I'm obviously wrong, but it's almost like...was the first not good enough to be named after you?! lol

• Options
    kami09 said:

I would've loved to have a Jr because I love the tradition of it... but I don't exactly love my husband's name. lol

I never noticed that "Kevin" always ends up being the weird/douche/pervy character on shows or movies...until I had one in my life.

I will say though... I always side eye people who have their second or third son as the Jr. I'm obviously wrong, but it's almost like...was the first not good enough to be named after you?! lol

i'm with you... if you don't do it with your first then you missed the boat lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband shares the same first name as his father, and wants to continue that if we have a son. My problem is, it's not a handsome name! My husband doesn't even go by it, he doesn't like it & he's used his middle name all his life. I'm hoping for a girl, haha!
  • Options
    My son is a Jr. It meant a lot to my husband, and I did always love the name.  So it worked well in our case!  Good luck! :-)
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My DH is a Jr. and the first thing he did when the topic of names came up was put his foot down about continuing that tradition ;) Apparently it's a big enough logistic nightmare with him and his father sharing a name, he doesn't want to bring a III'd into the mix.

Which is fine by me tbh, I've never been a big fan of the Jr./Sr. thing anyways. I'm a big believer in giving our LO a first name that isn't already emotionally attached to another person for our family.

But that's just my take on it, I can definitely understand where people are coming from with giving family names to their kids. It just isn't for us :)
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • Options
    My husband has the same middle name as his dad/granddad's first names, and I like the continuity... but baby is already going to have his last name, I feel like if more family names are going to be involved, I want some of mine in there! If I liked my own name better I would seriously consider it for a girl.
  • Options
    My husband is the II and his mom didn't really like Jr so they went with II instead. His name isn't my all time favorite but I don't mind continuing the name because both him and his father are great men. If this one is a boy he will be the III and hopefully grow up to be a wonderful man too!
  • Options
    My husband has the same first and last name as his father and grandfather.  So he is [firstname] [J.] [lastname] the third, but [firstname] [Jerome] [lastname] the first.  We're following that pattern, but the problem is the only J name we both actually like is Jerome, and that's not allowed. And what makes it worse is that the even numbered men get called by their J name, not their first name, so whatever we choose is what we have to call him.  We're probably going with James, and I'm okay with that, but I don't like it all that much and will probably call him Jamie (also, my asshole brother in law is a James, which just sucks).

• Options
    My husband is a third, and goes by a nickname. Initially, he was against having a fourth, but he has since changed his mind because he thinks it is so important to his dad. The downside is that I am not a fan of the first name OR middle name, and I can't seem to come up with any GOOD nicknames for Stanley. I'm just hoping for a girl!
  • Options
    NEVER. I can't express enough how much I dislike that tradition.

My older brother is a jr. and he hates it. So many things get confused and mixed up. Everything from credit reports to correspondences getting misdelivered.

Besides, I figure having children with my and my husband's genes in addition to getting our last name is enough of a legacy that they can all have unique first names.
  • Options
    My husband is a Jr but seems to be on the fence about naming a third. I don't want to as his father was not a great guy and I feel like his mom already treats him differently for reminding her of him. I want to do our family thing of a J name and then give him the middle name. Several of you are right, you got the last name be happy!
  • Options
    Lurking over from the June as I may end up a May mama. 

My husband is a 4th and really wants to continue and have a FIFTH! We already joke around and just call him RP5 (like RG3 - even though neither of us like him or are Redskins fans). I don't particularly want to carry on the name but at this point I feel like we have to. I was thinking Quinn as a nickname but I am not sure.
  • Options

We use family names but have never had a 3rd, 4th and so on.  My brother is named the same as my grandfather, but it's not my dad's name so he's not the 3rd.

We'll use Margaret as a middle name for a girl as it's tradition in my wife's family (her middle name, her mom's, her grandmother's, etc).  We'll use my dad's first name and my BIL's first name as a middle name if we have a boy.  (Those two names also have initials that make an easy nickname...added bonus!) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We are big on family names. If we have a boy he will be a III. We are using a nick name on the first name. Lawrence and going with Wren. If it is a girl my mom and I are both k names and share a middle name and will continue that path.
  • Options
    thismakes4thismakes4 member
    edited October 2015
    I think with some names it would be cool to give them a spin off of the name. So if someone was named James it would be interesting to do the name Jameson. That way they are linked but not getting confused.

My dad and brother had the same name and info was always getting confused.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    My husband is a 3rd too and we had the same issues with buying our house. My fil was shady. I also work in the lending world and it is so hard when clients are jr, etc. Because they don't always disclose that part of their name. Different information is tied to them...ugh. we will have the conversation again this time but I don't want to do it!