1st Trimester
Options

Weight gain/Bloating Advice

Hello all.

First off, the bloat is real and well, really annoying.

Background: This is my second pregnancy. During my pregnancy with my DS I gained 55 pounds. It was near impossible to get off so I'm hoping to have a much healthier weight gain this time. I got on the scale Monday morning and then again today and I've gone up 2 pounds. This kind of weight gain frightens me as my eating habits haven't changed recently. I don't eat a ton of crap and it's usually very balanced.

Question: How do you manage bloat and weight gain? Is anyone seeing this kind of weight gain and what are you doing to keep it under control.

TIA!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

Re: Weight gain/Bloating Advice

• Options
    Mornin!

I also saw a weight change within the past week and it went back down again this morning when I checked. It seems to be mostly water retention, the bloat, the constipation that comes with early pregnancy, etc... and so I've taken to eating as much fruit as I can, mostly apples, as well as a big salad before dinner each night this week. Extra water helps too. It's really shown a difference in the way that I feel, but even then, the bloating is hard to diminish. 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options

Hello all.

First off, the bloat is real and well, really annoying.

Background: This is my second pregnancy. During my pregnancy with my DS I gained 55 pounds. It was near impossible to get off so I'm hoping to have a much healthier weight gain this time. I got on the scale Monday morning and then again today and I've gone up 2 pounds. This kind of weight gain frightens me as my eating habits haven't changed recently. I don't eat a ton of crap and it's usually very balanced.

Question: How do you manage bloat and weight gain? Is anyone seeing this kind of weight gain and what are you doing to keep it under control.

TIA!

Drink lots and lots of water to help with the bloat.
    Your weight can vary from day to day and at different times of the day. If you are eating right and not binging on unhealthy high calorie foods then you really shouldn't worry unless your doctor says there is cause for concern.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't forget the fact that baby is growing inside you, and all the stuff that baby is snuggled in also carries weight. Bloat is going to cause you to retain more weight in a shorter amount of time. Eating lots of processed and salty foods will make your water weight stick around longer. Just drink a lot of fluids, make healthy choices for food the majority of the time, and if your doctor hasn't instructed otherwise get in some exercise several days a week. Walking and the elliptical have been my go tos, but over the last two weeks I've been especially lazy. There's really not much else you can do than live as healthy as you can. Maybe take a break from the scale when you're feeling "heavy", because it'll cause undue stress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Good suggestions.

• Options

i feel your pain. I don't weigh myself regularly, but I weighed myself the day I got a BFP, and I had already gained 7 pounds since my last BFP (which resulted in a miscarriage)!!! And I've subsequently gained at least 2 pounds (the last time I weighed myself).

I'm sorry to say, I really don't like the feeling of being this heavy...and it's only been 9 weeks!

• Options
    Water definitely helps with bloating as it helps flush all of the toxins (and other things that make you bloat) out of your body! Furthermore, because you don't want to restrict calories during pregnancy, exercise is your best friend. Walking is great, yoga, swimming, even running if you were doing it before conception would all help you mitigate excessive weight gain. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Healthy foods are your best friend! A lot of doctors will tell you to be careful about weight gain in the first trimester. I've been told by both my OB and PCP that there really is no reason to gain weight in the first trimester and some women even lose weight. Just watch what you're eating and drink lots of water. I'm the type to always discourage cravings while pregnant as some women use them as an excuse to eat unhealthy foods. As soon as I got my BFP, my diet changed dramatically. I've been eating very low fat (with the exception of olive oil) and LOTS of fruits and veggies. I have not been eating out, even though I was always the first to get fast food. The way I see it is, I'm growing a baby so now is the time to really watch what goes in to my body so I will not eat something if I can't see what benefit it will have for my baby.

Even though I lost 3lbs as a result, the bloat is so real that I look 12wks pregnant at almost 5wks lol. Drink lots of water but your body will still want to retain a lot of it to ensure it has enough hydration and blood for baby.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I've had some weight gain already as well. I've read that sometimes you'll gain most in your first tri but then even out during the rest of the trimesters. Drink lots of water, make sure you have regular bowel movements (constipation can make you bloat even more), and just stay on track for healthy eating. Talk to your doctor about your concerns especially if you feel like you're gaining too much weight. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I'm pg with my second as well. I gained a crap load with my first (but I had thyroid issues) so I understand you're anxiety of not wanting to deal with losing the weight again. It's mentally taxing!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    Again, all great advice. Trying to keep it as "clean" as possible!

• Options
    I'll just mention that as somebody who ate tons of veggies, very clean, organic whole foods, etc., I can barely stomach any of my normal diet. I actually went out and bought chicken flavored ramen the other day! I have thrown away $100 worth of food in the last few weeks and all I want to do is eat out (something I normally loathe). What I am trying to say is, do the best you can, but cut yourself some slack when you need it.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I'll just mention that as somebody who ate tons of veggies, very clean, organic whole foods, etc., I can barely stomach any of my normal diet. I actually went out and bought chicken flavored ramen the other day! I have thrown away $100 worth of food in the last few weeks and all I want to do is eat out (something I normally loathe). What I am trying to say is, do the best you can, but cut yourself some slack when you need it.
    Me too..well I don't normally eat that clean, but right now I don't want to eat ANY of my normal foods.
  • Options
    Thanks @peregrinefalconx.  It's good to cut yourself some slack.  I keep trying to tell myself it's just bloat, not real weight. SO frustrating.

• Options
    @peregrinefalconx I am the same way! I eat very healthy and when we have our one night a week of take out or eating out its healthy choices. Now I'm at such a loss as to what to eat! I can stomach most fruits and vegetables but need more substance because I'm always hungry... Except I don't know what I want that substance to be! Pregnancy is so weird :)
  • Options
    @tristadawnr

Wow. I am impressed you can eat veggies! First on my list to go. I choked down a couple of bites of spinach last night. Supposedly, a baby is developing it's taste buds up until the 20th week or something. So they think if you eat a varied diet, your baby will be a less picky eater. Can't imagine how these kids will be eating!!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    My issue is, I am having a tough time staying on any sort of diet.  I seem to want to eat everything!  And oddly, I used to greatly prefer grilled anything over fried, now, I cannot stand grilled food.  It's so odd!  And very difficult to eat things that you do not want.
    I still crave salads, which is good.  I still crave veggies.  I am making myself eat fruit.  But, the odd thing is, craving fried foods when I used to want grilled.  I ate fairly healthy before pregnancy.  I was not, by any means, an over the top health nut, but I watched calories, ate tons of veggies, and watched portions and fried foods.  Now, I cannot seem to make myself watch any of those things, even though my brain is telling me I need to.  I am at 9 weeks.  Just hoping it gets better soon!  :)
  • Options
    Im 25 weeks. I have gained 25-30 lbs... My bloat was terrible in the beginning! I eat pretty healthy and work 5x a week and still gaining alot of weight its not noticeable were though. For me all i wanted was fried foods in the beginning till heart burn kicked in. I cut out salt as best as i can, it was making me bloat and retain water. I meal prep through out the weak i do alot of fiber pastas with chicken and veggies in them. I do yogurt, garnola bars, whole wheat cheese chicken quesadillas, toast my own lunch meat sandwiches, but its a struggle to not give in to the cravings. My big thing is chipotle I treat myself to a burrito bowl on tue before i grocery shop haha. One day a week (saturday) hubby takes me out and we have cheat meal day and eat out for brunch then usually what ever Im craving we get for dinner. I look forward to that day all week and its helped me to eat healthier all week since I know I can have 1 day to eat what I want and not feel guilty. If you find yourself binge eating throughout the day, try eating 6 smaller meals or eat a snack every 90 to 120 mins.

Something a dietitian told me .... Fruit will make you retain water and bloat! Doesn't make it bad for you and not saying dont eat alot of it. Just saying it will make you feel bloated if you eat alot of fruit throughout the day since it holds so much natual sugar/sweetness and water (:
  • Options
    @tristadawnr

Wow. I am impressed you can eat veggies! First on my list to go. I choked down a couple of bites of spinach last night. Supposedly, a baby is developing it's taste buds up until the 20th week or something. So they think if you eat a varied diet, your baby will be a less picky eater. Can't imagine how these kids will be eating!!
    Sounds like my baby will only eat Snickers! lol
  • Options
    I too feel like I have been struggling with weight gain and my body image. In the past 3 years I had lost close to 90 lbs, so I feel incredibly guilty with myself for giving into any cravings and gaining weight. I'm posting here, because honestly I'm not sure where else I'd get the type of support that I need. I'd normally talk to my sister, but she is overweight and struggling with her own weight loss and I really don't want to hurt her or come off as insensitive. My husband thinks I'm beautiful, and that its totally normal to be gaining and have people tell you that you look so big when your pregnant. I'm only 17 weeks, and people keep telling me that I look like I'm going to have twins. I don't really feel like I'm gaining weight anywhere else and in all honestly I've only gained about 12 lbs overall and the Dr. hasn't brought anything up that she's concerned. Now that the morning sickness is beginning to subside, I'm starting to be able to eat less carbs and more fruits and veggies. Am I being too sensitive when people comment on my belly? Anyone else dealing with this of being told that you look bigger than you should for how far along you are? I've seriously had at least 7 people in the last week tell me I must be having twins. Wouldn't they have caught that on the ultrasounds and blood work? I apologize in advance if I come off like a whiner. 
  • Options
    mumistheword AT LEAST THEY CAN TELL!!! There was a woman in my building that was pregnant and NO ONE COULD TELL!!! I think some women just carry differently and your belly may be bigger because you're carrying differently. 

GOOD FOR YOU for the 90 lb weight loss! I have struggled my whole life and I know how you feel with the guilt. Right now I'm keeping down what will go down. 

Would you feel comfortable trying some pregnant yoga? or something at a local community center or gym? That would give you an opportunity to meet with other women in person that are feeling the same way. I can guarantee you most women are feeling the same way since society tells us we're supposed to look a certain way. 

Me: 27
    DH: 29
    BFP: 10/25/2015
    EDD: 7/5/2015!!

• Options
    I feel the same struggle. After DD, I ended up gaining MORE weight then when I was pregnant. After a little more then a year, I finally got the motivation and lost 10 lbs...now I'm pg. Can't start any crazy workout routines since wasn't doing anything before and I'm fearful of having another mc.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to overhaul my diet to keep the weight under control. Good bye dairy and carbs :-(

As far as bloating, I've noticed certain foods affect me more right now, so going to stay clear of those!
  • Options
    Well this is a big subject for me i would like to tell u something i'm trying. With my last child which was six years ago i could not lose my weight it was so hard. about 6 months in i lost 60 pounds now i prego again and really scared. I am 12w6d and i have been enjoying food. I have put on two pds. and after my 14 week i will go back to the gym. I have a crazy diet and work out for after i have my baby. I say all mothers should enjoy there pregnancy even if its for a little bit. Don't stress  enjoy it and u will see you will be just fine. =)