2nd Trimester

My baby is in 73 percentile

Esk311Esk311 member
edited October 2015 in 2nd Trimester
I went to my appointment a month ago and the baby weighted 15 oz and I was in the 53 percentile. I just went today for another appointment and the baby is now 1lb 15 oz. I'm now in the 73 percentile and worried that my baby is growing to much too fast. Is this normal.

Re: My baby is in 73 percentile

• their measurments are usually off +/- 2lbs. i wouldn't be too worried about it, honestly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Esk311 said:
    I went to my appointment a month ago and the baby weighted 15 oz and I was in the 53 percentile. I just went today for another appointment and the baby is now 1lb 15 oz. I'm now in the 73 percentile and worried that my baby is growing to much too fast. Is this normal.

73rd percentile is nothing to worry about. It just means that your baby is larger than roughly 73% of other babies. Not all babies can be right at the 50th percentile (completely average).
  • ecwk said:

What did your doctor say?

This. If your doctor didn't mention concerns then I'd go with that. Also, there isn't really a "normal" in pregnancy. Every woman and every pregnancy are different.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Esk311 said:

Remember these measurements have a significant margin of error.
  • Agree with PP. Also, every baby grows at different rates. Yours may have had a growth spurt. When you go in for the next appointment, they may be closer to 50th again. Even if not, those measurements aren't very accurate.
  • My OB has never told me how much the baby weighs or what percentile he is in. He didn't do it with DS and hasn't done it with this little guy yet either. Is this standard with most OB's?
  • Mine did at the 25 week u/s since they couldn't see him well at 21 weeks. I go back at 31 weeks for a growth scan to make sure he's not too big. He was measuring well ahead at 25 weeks.