May 2016 Moms

Peeing in the Middle of the Night

Hey so I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I'm going pee like 6-9 times in the middle of the night. Is this normal? I've tried not drinking anything after 8 but it still happens. This is my first pregnancy and I'm just really confused! Help! Please?

Re: Peeing in the Middle of the Night

• 6-9 seems like ALOT at this point, unless you're sleeping for like 15 hours at a time or something. Have you called your OB about it or been checked for a UTI? Maybe it is normal, but it just seems like you would have a really hard time getting quality sleep. I am having to get up once or twice (13w1d now) lately. Towards the end of my last pregnancy I was going maybe 3-4 times a night, and that seemed like a major chore. I can't imagine 6-9, that sounds miserable.
  • A little more than usual, but if you're s light sleeper, not really. Try prioritizing pooping more, as constipation makes bladder things worse!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't go 6-9 times a night, but I definitely have been going 3-4 times a night every night since finding out I'm pregnant (so for about the past 6 weeks).
  • I go about 3-4 times a night and that is in a 8 hours period. This is also with drinking a cup of water before bed with my vitamins.
  • I'm also going 3-4 times a night. I haven't tried to curb my water intake in the evenings because I just get so thirsty and it feels weird to deny myself. The only times I've gone more than that I've woken up for another reason (barking dog, snoring husb, city sounds, etc.)  and then decide I might as well pee because I can pretty much always pee.

• I'm at 3-4 a night too.  The other night it was only twice, it was great!  Good long chunks of sleeping!

• I go 4 times a night like clockwork
  • Just wait until your 3rd tri.... I had to wear panty liners in the end of the 2nd tri and all through the 3rd tri. DH also got night lights and put them like a runway from the bed to the toilet bc I was constantly bumping into the walls throughout the night. I think I averaged 8-15 times a night going pee.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• It's like 3-6 for me. And that's not counting all the Times I wake up for being uncomfortable or just too freaking hot! !!!! I only get to share the bed once a week with my husband and I'm starting to think that's one too many. He makes our so hot! !!!
  • 1-2 times a night for me. I typically drink a few cups of water before bed and each time I wake up to stay hydrated.
  • 6-9 is my normal.

~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I'm averaging 1-2 times a night, I think. I'm pretty sure I've nailed going to the bathroom in my sleep so I may lose count or not remember anymore. Could also be a sign of pregnancy brain...
  • Just dug up this super old thread to ask - does this ever get better? I thought I had beat first-trimester exhaustion, but now I'm falling apart because I'm peeing just about every hour in the night, and my sleep is getting so messed up. I'm 15w3d, and don't really know what's going to change soon to make this stop happening, just hoping! Seems like it happens even when I try to limit water in the evening.
  • Pascal86 said:
    Just dug up this super old thread to ask - does this ever get better? I thought I had beat first-trimester exhaustion, but now I'm falling apart because I'm peeing just about every hour in the night, and my sleep is getting so messed up. I'm 15w3d, and don't really know what's going to change soon to make this stop happening, just hoping! Seems like it happens even when I try to limit water in the evening.
    During 1st tri I would be up 1 or 2 times. Now, I am up once a night maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and sleeping straight through the rest of the time. Not sure if its just me, or if this is normal.... I also only go 3 or 4 times a day which doesnt seem like a lot?

cat fail animated GIF

• I go about every 2 hours at night and more frequently during the day. It's a very hot spring here so I'm keeping my fluids up drinking 64-80 oz a day plus most of my snacks have been fruit and veg which adds more pee time lol. I heard it gets worse later but I have no experience to back that statement.
  • @Pascal86 I'm up 2-3 times every night to pee but at least one of the times something else wakes me up and then I realize I have to go.  I seem to go the same amount whether I limit my water intake or not, too. Every hour sounds like a lot - you must be drinking a ton which is great!! I'm also frustrated about not sleeping through the night - I naively thought I had some time to appreciate a good nights sleep before the LO comes but it doesn't seem likely at this point! My mom got me a snoogle pregnancy pillow and I used it for the first time last night, it was definitely more comfortable but I still woke up 3 times. Siiiiggghhhhhh

• It's normal! Don't worry! It's driving my husband crazy but I'm peeing just as often in the middle of the night! Lol
  • I go 1-2 times, depending on when I go to bed. But always around 2:30/3 a.m. So annoying!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• These days, I have to go 2-3 times a night. But if I lay awake for any extended period of time that number pretty much doubles because I keep imagining that I have to pee even if I just did. Grrrrr.
  • It gets better...and then gets worse again partway through the third trimester. I'm still getting up once per night, sometimes twice.
  • I'm similar to @yogahh - maybe once or so a week I'll get up in the middle of the night to pee, but most nights I sleep straight through (I do wake up frequently to flop to a new side, however, just not to get up and use the restroom).
  • doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited December 2015
    My bladder is old and worn from the last LO banging around in there. I'm up every hour at least. If I'm luck every hour and a half.

ETA: I've already replied to this post. I didn't know that. Now I do.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I guess thanks for the reassurance that this is mostly normal! It's not always every hour, but last night it was, and I'm feeling a little crazy now. And since the "stuff my SO does" thread is going on elsewhere, I should also add that every time I get out of bed to pee, my husband wakes up, gasps, and says, "where are you going????" He's done this for years, it's like an auto-reaction, but now it's getting a little old when it happens like six times a night! I guess I should feel bad I'm waking him up... but he falls back to sleep right away, or I'm convinced he doesn't actually wake up all the way.
  • @Pascal86 sorry I laughed at your SO's reaction. That is so funny!

I also get up a few times every night! Not as bad as you but between 2-3 times I would say.
  • @Pascal86 you should so mess with him & say something off the wall like "tire shop" to see if he really wakes up all the way. My ex-husband was a sleep talker & said some pretty funny stuff. Hey now that I think of it that would make a fun new thread!
  • So I have to take some different prescription medications before I go to bed.  (OBGYN approved and prescribed) and therefore I have to drink some water with those.  I have to get up to pee about four or five times during the first couple of hours that I am laying down.  What really sucks is I usually always have to get up to pee right after I finally have gotten comfortable from the last time I had to get up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    And then after that I sleep through until time to get up.  Which by then my bladder is full and it hurts if I stand up and don't go pee quickly! 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Am I the only one that wishes they had a catheter during the night? I say this & I've never had one before in my life but after waking up for what seems like the 100th time that night it sure sounds good to me. I'd probaly HATE it but if somehow one could skip the insertion & removal part it probably wouldn't be all that bad.