1st Trimester
Options

I'm overweight - when will I show?

I keep getting prompts from my pregnancy app to take photos of my "bump." The only problem is, I'm overweight and don't look pregnant yet, even though I'm 12 weeks today. I really was hoping to show a little so I could take a picture this week, but no such luck. I know it's silly and that the answer will vary from person to person, but when did you show with your first pregnancy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 39 DH: 41
Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
1st Date: 5/27/06
Engaged: 9/16/13
Married: 6/20/15
BFP: 9/2/15
CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I'm overweight - when will I show?

• Options
    With DS (who is now 6) I started the pregnancy at around 240 pounds. I didn't really start to show a noticeable bump until about 26-28 weeks and due to the diet I was on for GD, I actually ended up losing weight during the pregnancy so by the end, I had I guess what you would call a 'normal' looking pregnancy bump. 

It's going to depend on your body and how it grows with the pregnancy. This pregnancy, i'm almost 100 pounds lighter than I was with DS, but still worried a little about the same question... I have a lot of excess skin around my mid section so I'm not rushing myself to get that 'cute bump' that everyone else gets. 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Options
    I didn't show before 20 weeks (I'm a bit over weight) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't start sporting a bump until mid-2nd tri (and I'm not overweight), so I'd imagine it could be even later than that.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    I'm not overweight and I have just started really showing. Fortunately, I can still hide behind blousy shirts at work (haven't announced yet) but I make no attempt to hide anymore when I am not at the office.

• Options
    It really does depend on your body type and shape. I started off overweight - I could tell I was pregnant and not just getting chunkier at around 17 weeks and I really popped out the pregnant belly at around 24 weeks.
  • Options
    My ex-SIL was 310 pounds and never showed. I was 190 and started sporting a blump at 8 weeks and a full-on bump at 12. It really just depends. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I was 240 at the end of my pregnancy (220 before pregnancy).
    I was showing more around mid to end of the 2nd Tri.
    DS - March 9th 2014 TTC #2 - May 2015 BFP - October 2015 EDD - July 7th 2016
  • Options
    Depends on where you carry your weight. I am technically overweight (5'6", 175) but am very much pear shaped. I fit into medium shirts easily because I don't carry weight on my stomach or torso, its all in my hips. Comparatively, someone who is apple shaped and carries their weight in their stomach will likely show later. Everyone is different, you could show at 12 weeks, you could not really show until 20-25 weeks, there's too many factors to tell.
  • Options
    sanabria08sanabria08 member
    edited October 2015
    I love that you ask this question :-) I im overweight too and dint start showing till I was almost 15 weeks but you will notice the difference yourself. Good luck and dont worrie you will get your bump soon :-)
  • Options
    Even if you think you only look fat and not pregnant, take the weekly pictures anyway :) I didn't start taking pics with my daughter until I was 18 or 20 weeks along because I thought I just looked fat. Now, I'll never know if that was true, and I have no idea when I started showing with her. This time around, I started taking weekly photos at 5 weeks and was able to see a difference starting around 12 weeks.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    i didn't start to show with DD until after 20 weeks which meant i had to finally tell co-workers hahaha they were mad i hid it from them for so long
  • Options
    Thanks, all - I appreciate the non-judgmental responses. Very helpful to know I'm not the only one, too. <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me: 39 DH: 41
    Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
    1st Date: 5/27/06
    Engaged: 9/16/13
    Married: 6/20/15
    BFP: 9/2/15
    CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
    EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    FTM's usually dont show until some time in the 2nd tri anyways, no matter their weight. at 12 weeks hardly any FTM is showing. i was 110lbs when i got pregnant, jumped to 130lbs, & have stayed at that weifht ever since. i didnt show at all until 18 weeks.
  • Options
    If you're a first time mom you may not show until closer to 25-30 weeks regardless of weight/size. I'm very short (under 5 ft) and slightly overweight, with my first I just started showing around 22 weeks but it was only obvious to others when I pointed it out. A few weeks later I had a very noticeable bump.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~