April 2015 Moms

6 mo fussy and clingy?

I have no idea what's going on, but I'm at my wits end with this kid. It might be teething or a growth spurt from what I've read, but I'm not even sure. He was such a good baby up until about 5 months, and then he gradually started getting more difficult. The past couple of weeks (even more so this past week) whenever I put him in his pack and play with a bunch of his toys, he just pulls up and stands and whines till I pick him up. And he used to just sit in there and play for a good 20 minutes or so without getting fussy! But now especially if he's hungry, I'll put him down and he'll automatically start crying and want out. And he cries like crazy if I dare leave the room for a few seconds to make a bottle or go to the bathroom. And then when I do pick him up he wants to be down on the floor, but even though he can sit up really well and rarely falls, I'm hesitant about letting him crawl around on the floor since we have hard tile.

At night time we used to be able to put him down to sleep at around 8:30-9 pm, and he would get up once at 4 and then 7:30. But now he's very difficult to get to sleep for both naps and bed time, and will wake up every 3 hours. And whenever he used to wake up in the middle of the night he would just move around a bunch and then start talking and would go back to sleep after we fed him. But now he cries as soon as he wakes up and doesn't stop till he gets a bottle. Then he cries again when I put him down to change him. And, since he's learned to pull up on things and stand, he tries to stand in the bath tub and cries non stop when we keep making him sit down, so it's been very difficult to give him baths as well.
I have no idea what's going on or why this is happening, but if someone could even just tell me I'm not alone I would feel a lot better! My dad always says he doesn't remember any of us (my siblings and I) being like this, and it makes me feel like my baby isn't normal. I'm exhausted and stressed to the max, and am starting to get in a depression again with him acting out on top of everything else going on.
I'm sorry this was such a long post, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Re: 6 mo fussy and clingy?

• Is he getting a sense of object permanence? It kind of sounds like separation anxiety. He may be realizing that you still exist when you leave the room and you are no longer out of sight/out of mind. Don't know what the fix is, but that's what it sounds like to me. May just be a phase.
  • If it's any consolation, My daughter has been this way since birth! She was a colicky baby (or that's what we were told the constant fussiness was) and as she has gotten older she is just a high maintenance little thing. You are not alone ! Although she can't pull up and stand, she always makes it known when she isn't pleased. She's very attached to me since I stay at home with her and she rarely sees other people, which makes it difficult to have family be around her and hold her.

My mom and in laws also continue to tell me how none of their children were like this... As if this makes me feel any better?!

My LO also is difficult to nap at times and will need her pacifier replaced 20 times before its lights out.

It takes a lot of patience and slows down a lot of my routine having to constantly be with her giving her attention, but at the end of the day this is merely temporary. In just a little while our babies will be running around the house trying to explore on their own !
  • Loading the player...
  • Just thought of this - my LO also LOVES to stand so we got her a walker. Just a simple fisher price one. She likes to walk around the kitchen area while I prepare meals and watch me. This gives me time to do laundry/dishes/etc and she stays pretty occupied. Your little one may love that!
  • Is he getting a sense of object permanence? It kind of sounds like separation anxiety. He may be realizing that you still exist when you leave the room and you are no longer out of sight/out of mind. Don't know what the fix is, but that's what it sounds like to me. May just be a phase.

I think this is exactly what you're experiencing.

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • mhelthall said:

Just thought of this - my LO also LOVES to stand so we got her a walker. Just a simple fisher price one. She likes to walk around the kitchen area while I prepare meals and watch me. This gives me time to do laundry/dishes/etc and she stays pretty occupied. Your little one may love that!

That's what I was thinking, because then he could follow me or feel like he's not confined to his pack and play and I think he would be a lot happier. But it's good to know I'm not alone! It just sucks when you see all these other happy babies that don't have the same issues your baby is having. It makes me feel like I'm parenting wrong or my baby isn't like others, but then again I'm a FTM so I have no idea what normal really is!

It could be the object permanence. I stay at home with him all day every day except for when I have school at night. He doesn't have a problem with my parents or husband watching him, but when I'm home it doesn't matter who he's with or where he is, if he sees me leave the room he starts crying. Every once in a while he's fine if he's occupied with his toys or someone playing with him, but mostly he wants me to bring him everywhere with me. I hope it is just a phase that he grows out of because it's exhausting.
  • When the going gets rough, just remind yourself that this phase won't last forever and you're lucky to have a son who loves you so much. You'll look back on these days fondly when he's 16 and too busy to chat with you. Enjoy him, and enjoy the privilege of being home with your little one. 
    Blessings to you and your baby. 
  • When the going gets rough, just remind yourself that this phase won't last forever and you're lucky to have a son who loves you so much. You'll look back on these days fondly when he's 16 and too busy to chat with you. Enjoy him, and enjoy the privilege of being home with your little one. 

Blessings to you and your baby. 
    Thank you! Sometimes I need that reminder. I am very blessed to have a healthy baby that loves me so much! I know I'll miss the days when all he wanted to do was cuddle with me.
  • My DD has started getting very fussy, particularly at night. She would normally go down about 10:15, but this is the 3rd night in a row she's still up at midnight. She constantly wants her bottle in her mouth (but isn't hungry or sucking) or wants to be held non-stop. I hope it gets better for us all!
  • My DD has started getting very fussy, particularly at night. She would normally go down about 10:15, but this is the 3rd night in a row she's still up at midnight. She constantly wants her bottle in her mouth (but isn't hungry or sucking) or wants to be held non-stop. I hope it gets better for us all!

I thought my son was gonna be worse after his shots yesterday, but he's actually been way better than normal! I don't know if he suddenly stopped with the whole crying for no reason and refusing to sleep, or if he just doesn't feel good so he's acting out of the ordinary, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts! Haha. As much as him having a fever breaks my heart, he's been so cuddly and happy since yesterday and I've actually gotten a little bit of sleep. I hope things get better for you soon too!
  • My Bub is going through exactly the same phase. My arms are not enjoying the constant weight training but like the others have said... Before you know it they will be teenagers and asking you not to kiss them good bye in front of their friends. Let's enjoy the cuddles.
  • Do u have the Wonder Weeks app?? I find it great to explain when babies are going through different leaps and why they are being extra fussy and what they are actually learning at that stage. Around 29/30 weeks it says that they are learning that now their mommy can walk away and leave them (which they don't like haha!) but this is important and a new skill because they are learning about distances. Sounds like ur LO is right on track :)
  • Babog10 said:

Do u have the Wonder Weeks app?? I find it great to explain when babies are going through different leaps and why they are being extra fussy and what they are actually learning at that stage. Around 29/30 weeks it says that they are learning that now their mommy can walk away and leave them (which they don't like haha!) but this is important and a new skill because they are learning about distances. Sounds like ur LO is right on track :)

Yes - I absolutely agree w the wonder weeks concept. The book is a great read for any mom struggling. It definitely helps you realize that you are not alone in those fussy times! With that said - my little man has been driving me crazy for the last 1-2 weeks and everything that you described sounds almost exactly like our life right now. Hang in there! It's bound to get better
  • Just wanted to update! DS is almost 7 months now and he's getting a little better about the fussiness, but he's still super clingy. I don't think that will change though because my MIL said my husband was the same way! He never wanted to be put down and always wanted her. But my son is a lot less grumpy now! He'll play with his toys in his pack and play for a good amount of time, he takes baths easier if we give him some toys, and he goes down for a nap and bed as long as he's really tired and full! He only wakes up a couple times a night again, but suddenly he refuses to sleep in his crib and only wants to sleep with us at night!

But like many of you have said, it does get better! Hang in there for any of you who are going through a fussy period (: I will definitely have to check out the wonder weeks!
  • I think its a normal phase... although my son is still pretty easy to distract and calm down, he is more clingy with me than he used to be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Babies go through clingy phases because it's developmentally normal and appropriate- it's actually a sign that your baby is making progress.