3rd Trimester
Options

Induction process

So I'm due to be induced on Friday! Just wondering what to expect? And if anyone has any tips or previous experiences with being induced and maybe things you wished people had told you before hand? Thanks x

Re: Induction process

• Options
    I'm not close (just starting 3rd tri) but my friend was induced with her little guy. 

Be prepared for it to go quickly. She was induced at 6 am, she was slow until 3 pm then little guy was there in 1 hour. She went into shock because of how fast it was. 

Not to say this always happens or anything. It just really took her by surprise how quickly it happened, so I figured I would mention it to give you a possible heads up. 

Besides that it was a good experience and little guy came out hunky dorry :D

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like a nicer experience of induction , fingers crossed ! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM here but I recently watched a birth video where the woman was induced. She was given pitocin and it didn't have an effect for a long time so the doctors kept upping the dose. Then, when contractions finally started they were so intense that even an epidural didn't help. Be careful of letting that happen, it seems like sometimes it just takes a while to take effect.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kellyw88 said:

So I'm due to be induced on Friday! Just wondering what to expect? And if anyone has any tips or previous experiences with being induced and maybe things you wished people had told you before hand? Thanks x

I was induced with my second LO. Every dr is different with the process.
    For me, I went to the hospital bright and early (6am) and by 7 they had started me on pitocin and broke my water. That was it. 7 hours later I had my baby.
  • Options
    I went for an induction since I was a week overdue with DD. Here are the notes from her birth story 2 years ago:

I went in for Cervidil on a Monday night. I'd been 0% effaced/0cm dilated at every cervical check since 35 weeks. Cervidil inserted at 7:30pm started some contractions, but nothing too bad. I sent DH home around 10pm. I took an Ambien to help me sleep along with a Zantac.

Stronger contractions were waking me up on the hour by 12:45am. I called DH to come back around 4:30am since I was crying at some of these. The Cervidil was removed at 5:30am. I was 100% effaced, but still 0cm dilated. We started the Pitocin drip at 6:30am which resulted in some stronger contractions. My OB came in around 8am and was able to open me up to 3cm manually and broke my water. Baby at -3 station. Much stronger contractions after this.

The anesthesiologist came in with the epi at 8:47am and it was great. Then (to begin with) all I felt when I had a contraction was some rectal pressure. Mostly I was able to nod off between contractions. Timeframes here are blurry for me, but DH wrote some things down. I was at 10cm at 12:30pm with baby at 0 station. Started pushing. DH just let me know that the epidural had run out before the end, so I was w/o it for maybe 30 mins? I don't remember what he said now.

I'm not sure what time my OB got there. Maybe 3:45? Baby was born at 4:12 p.m. I had a 2nd degree tear.

If you count what time I went in and got the Cervidil inserted to when she was born, it took almost 21 hours.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    STM here, and I was induced with my first.  From what I've read, induction results vary, as do any other method of childbirth.  I'm not sure how far along you are, or if you're dilated/effaced yet.  Here are some notes from DD's birth story:

-I scheduled the induction at 40 weeks, 4 days because of my personal schedule and conditions were favorable.  I had been 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced since 37 weeks, but hadn't felt any Braxton Hicks or contractions.
    -If you are positive for group B strep like I am, they will start you on IV antibiotics before the induction.  
    -Received pitocin at 2:00 pm, about two hours after the antibiotics were administered
    -Doctor broke my water at 3:30.  Started feeling painful contractions at 4:00, and at this point I was 5 cm dilated. 
    -Received the epidural around 6:00, after this I was at 8 cm
    -Started pushing at 9:00, DD was born at 9:56 pm

Overall I was very pleased with my induction, and surprised with only an eight hour labor.  Hope yours goes well also!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i'm a 3rd time mum, and was induced at 40 weeks because of GD.

cervadil was placed at 6.30pm. strong regular contractions were going by 9pm. at 10pm mw i was 3cm and mw did a stretch and sweep. baby was born at 11.15pm. no pain relief, and no other interventions.

he was also sunny side up, which made pushing hard work but didn't cause any real problems.

good luck.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

I was induced with my first and it was a very long process! Checked in at 6am, got going on Pitocin at 8am, waited and waited and waited, eventually had my water broken around 3pm and got my epidural right after. Waited and waited and waited until I was fully dilated at about 9:45pm. Pushed for 3 long, horrible hours and then my son was born a little after midnight.

It was a long day but I had the epidural so I wasn't feeling pain and I could rest most of the time. I wish I had eaten before hand because I was in labor for 17 hours and couldn't have anything except ice chips. I was so exhausted when all was said and done.

• Options
    My induction sucked and ended up in a c/s. I was induced with #2) at 40 weeks for pre-eclampsia. The contractions were excruciating and the anesthesiologist was busy. I was screaming for someone to find him. I finally got the episode and made it to 10 cm (with a small lip). Both little one and I ended up in distress (heart rate dropped while pushing and my BP kept spiking. I was at a 10 but my pelvic bones just wouldn't separate so I had c/s. Twelve hours of agonizing labor +2 hours of pushing and it ended in a c/s. With #3 I went into spontaneous labor at 38+5. The contractions weren't remotely as painful although I did get an epi in case I needed another c/s. Six hours of labor, 30 minutes of pushing and I got my VBA2C (and she was my biggest!). I know add some have positive induction experience by my experience was awful.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~