May 2016 Moms

Tea question

Ok so I'm really confused on if it's ok to drink tea or not! I've read articles where certain teas contain herbs that are not good for pregnant woman. So does anyone know if regular Lipton tea is ok to drink?

Re: Tea question

• Regular Lipton is perfectly fine. Just try to keep your caffeine intake to 200mg or less per day.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Regular black tea is fine but if you can get decaffeinated it'd be better. Certain herbal teas can be dangerous and green tea will effect your body absorbing folic acid. I just had to buy decaffeinated tea cause the only big craving I've had this pregnancy is sweet tea. I just want to chug gallons of it at a time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Regular black tea is fine but if you can get decaffeinated it'd be better. Certain herbal teas can be dangerous and green tea will effect your body absorbing folic acid. I just had to buy decaffeinated tea cause the only big craving I've had this pregnancy is sweet tea. I just want to chug gallons of it at a time.
    YASSS on the sweet tea! I usually never drink sweet tea, but I suddenly need it!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I stick to ginger or peppermint tea- uncaffinated. They're both safe during pregnancy.
  • Ugh, now I want tea.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • I'm glad you asked this because tea is the easiest way for me to choke down my daily miralax dosage.
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Is chamomile okay?
  • Is chamomile okay?

This is what I found on livestrong.com

" Lipton also makes many herbal teas, including peppermint, hibiscus and chamomile types. Although these teas are caffeine-free, their herbs may not be safe for pregnant women. For example, the American Pregnancy Association recommends that pregnant women avoid chamomile. Peppermint, on the other hand, is generally considered to be safe for pregnant women. Talk to your doctor before consuming herbal tea or other herbal products."
  • I also read somewhere that chamomile was not safe in pregnancy too!
  • I've read something about chamomile as well and too much ginger has an affect on certain chromosomes.

Anyone know anything about the red raspberry leaf tea?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Dasha420 no red raspberry leaf tea until after 35 weeks. It strengthens your uterus and thins your cervix, they recommend drinking it to help kick start labor and make for a faster/easier labor. I drank it every day for a month to help conceive and I conceived in the first 2 weeks of trying. I intend to start drinking it again around 37 weeks.
  • @ncm0328 thanks for the info. I was under the impression it was good for lactation also. Maybe I'm confusing something else with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bikramlassbikramlass member
    edited October 2015
    I drink soda and iced tea. I bought some decaf black tea, but I swear it tastes different! I have never heard of anyone having a mc because of caffeine, but to each their own!
  • Is chamomile okay?

This is what I found on livestrong.com

" Lipton also makes many herbal teas, including peppermint, hibiscus and chamomile types. Although these teas are caffeine-free, their herbs may not be safe for pregnant women. For example, the American Pregnancy Association recommends that pregnant women avoid chamomile. Peppermint, on the other hand, is generally considered to be safe for pregnant women. Talk to your doctor before consuming herbal tea or other herbal products."
    @-) What?!?!? I thought I had my teas figured out, ugh! I'll have to ask my doctor about chamomile at my appointment on Thursday.
  • I definitely asked my doctor about this and the reason why there are conflicting messages about it is because teas and pregnancy have never been fully tested. I was told that pregnancy teas are safe as well as Ginger/Peppermint (for nausea). My doctor just told me to stay away from herbal teas and to limit my caffeine intake to about 200mg or less.