January 2016 Moms
Options

GTKY-Birth video

Just for fun, I was wondering how many of you plan to take photos or videos of your baby's birth? I was a little shy about it with my first, but I ended up having my MIL record it (her and DH were in room with me) and I was so happy I did! I have watched it more than what's probably normal and I hope to have this birth recorded too if it works out. I know some people hire photographers now, so I'm wondering who else is capturing this special moment?

Re: GTKY-Birth video

• Options
    Nope. Its not for me. 1st birth was the worst vaginal birth ever. 4th degree episiotomy and had to use that vacuum thing to get him out. Plus pooping... No fun. LOL! This time I have to have a csection. Not sure anyone wants to film that.

DH was in charge of pics. I don't remember when or where he took them of DS. I was drugged up.
  • Options
    I'm not having it video taped but my SIL is a photographer and insisted on taking birth photos. Obviously not of the actual gross lady bits parts but of the process and the baby as soon as he pops out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a c-section with both. DH didn't take any photos with the first because there were issues and he was to distracted. He took a few with the second, him when he was first lifted, when he was being weighed etc., but not a lot. I assume he will take a few this time too. 
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    mvhydemvhyde member
    edited October 2015
    No, not really. To each their own, I am much to self-conscious. I know that my mind would be distracted from labor if there was a camera in the room. Definitely want pics as soon as LO is out, but nothing during any part of labor (clothed or unclothed).

ETA: we didn't take any photos for DS until he was out and on the weighing 'crib'. He looks so huge in the crib, but he was just average. It's my fave pic.
  • Options
    I HIGHLY recommend recording as much as you can! We took video up until it was time to start pushing and then again right after he was placed on my chest. I LOVE the videos and cry every time I watch them. Without them I would have forgotten so much of the experience-they put our photos to shame in that aspect.
  • Options
    I HIGHLY recommend recording as much as you can! We took video up until it was time to start pushing and then again right after he was placed on my chest. I LOVE the videos and cry every time I watch them. Without them I would have forgotten so much of the experience-they put our photos to shame in that aspect.
    This is so me. I was hesitant at first but now that I have it for my son I'm a total convert!

• Options
    @WineBaby122 I like that idea! My sister is a professional photographer and wants to do photos/video. I decided to go for it- she's the only person besides DH that I'd want in the room with me (although she says she understands if I change my mind and kick her out during pushing) and I know that I'll want those first moments and little details captured :)

That being said I have seen some not so flattering birth videos/photos, so if you're on the fence I'd suggest going with someone you're close to, with good experience
  • Options
    Uhm, my mother video taped me being born......
    Prettyyy sure that scarred me for life.

I will not be videoing/photographing the birthing process..... But definitely will as soon as everything is over.. After the one hour bonding time is over, i plan to do skin to skin as soon as baby is born and I don't want anything obstructing that process.... Including " AY, let me take a selfie right quick"
  • Options
    I don't know how much of the birth I will want videoed, but my parents videotaped their first few moments with me and their families all around and it was one of my favorite things to watch as a kid. I've actually gone back and watched it now that I'm having my own little one and it made me tear up. So I'll definitely want something like that for my baby!
  • Options

And I want to add that you don't need a professional! DH did the recording on our old video camera. Still love them to pieces.
  • Options
    MssyMmmyMssyMmmy member
    edited October 2015
    Probably not...
    When my sister in law was giving birth her midwife and nurses kept insisting we take photos for her. I must have taken 100 vag shots and some cute ones afterwards. I loaded them into my computer and forgot to delete them. Whenever my screen saver came on it would randomly show some very graphic birth photos @-) my sister in law loves them. She also loves her videos and rewatches them with her girls.
  • Options
    No way!  I am a very private person, so I definitely can't imagine a video of the birth process!  Now, a video of the baby right after being born would be lovely, but I would happily stay out of it, haha.  ;)  
  • Options

And I want to add that you don't need a professional! DH did the recording on our old video camera. Still love them to pieces.
    Good point @WineBaby122 . I think it's important that whoever is taking pics is a welcomed part of that intimate moment and is emotionally invested in the experience. Personally I'd feel so weird hiring someone I don't know too well. I'd suggest though that whoever you ask to do it, you give them an out. My sister sometimes feels used for her photography skills and I wanted her to know that if she feels she's not present or like shes "working" during the process then she should set the camera down
  • Options
    My doula took pictures of select moments, but none of the private parts as that is actually against the rules in our hospital, as is any type of anything going on, like shots etc, no pictures of that. I love the pictures she took. And some of those select moments remind me of how hard the labor was, so I appreciate that. I wouldn't want a video tape, but I had an unmedicated birth and there was a lot of crying/moaning/groaning, id prefer not to remember that sound, it wasn't as peaceful as I'd envisioned. I'm hoping to do a little better this time.
  • Options
    Haven't really thought about it, but guess its getting to be time :). I could see setting up a video camera and flipping it on for pushing if someone remembers, but I don't think I'd want so eone specific there to take the pics/video, or want one of the very few people who will be there to be taken away from the moment by dealing with the film stuff. I have really liked watched some birth videos online though, so it might be nice to have one of me.
  • Options
    DH and I are HUGE on documenting life events. I'm the photographer, he's the videographer. We have so many photos/beautifully edited videos from major moments in our lives. Since this is the BIGGEST event in our lives to this point, we definitely plan on documenting it. That being said...I am incredibly private with my body, and don't think I'd feel comfortable seeing full-frontal shots. DH plans on hooking our GoPro (small HD video camera) to the head of my bed to record the event. That way, no full-frontal shots, and he will be free to enjoy the experience without having a video camera in his hand. He will also take photos before and after the birth (but not during delivery since I need him focused solely on me, and not photographing). My mom is also going to be in the room, but she is not the most tech-savvy person, and I don't want her stressing about taking photos. I want her to enjoy the process. This is the plan, but we will see how things go!
  • Options
    I'm having a photographer. I wish I was doing a videographer as well. The photos and videos will mainly be for myself and my husband to look back at
  • Options
    Hell. No.
  • Options
    I hired a photographer for my first birth (an old friend from high school actually) and I certainly will do it again. Those photos are my most cherished ones. I wouldn't remember those moments, the looks on our faces when we first saw him, they're priceless to me. She didn't do any crotch shots, frontal nudity, etc. They're very tasteful and only occasionally see a thigh in a stirrup when it couldn't be avoided. She also did the majority of them in black and white to disguise any blood/vernix. I recommend it to everyone. If you end up hating them, you never have to look at them again.
  • Options
    Ju111310 said:

If you end up hating them, you never have to look at them again.

When I was deciding whether or not to record my first birth, this was my deciding factor. We bought a memory card just for this moment and I took the camera and watched it before anyone else. I had the freedom and privacy to decide what gets seen and by whom, and it made me know I was in control of this intimate moment.

I just rewatched my son's birth again and I cannot wait to meet my daughter and watch her birth too!

• Options
    kimber308kimber308 member
    edited October 2015
    My husband will be using a Go Pro at select moments. We'll edit out anything we don't want to keep. I just love watching the Go Pro videos of other people's experiences, and I couldn't imagine not having those moments documented for my family, too. We tried to conceive a child for a couple of years, so I realize this could be my only birthing experience (I don't think we'll seek fertility treatments again), and I want to remember the special moments!

I cried after watching this: