October 2015 Moms
Options

Trouble Sleeping

I'm having a hard time falling asleep between all of the scheduled feedings, changing, and what not, and when DH gives me the time to nap I can't... I actually start to feel like I'm going to have a panic attack, which in turn keeps me awake. How do you ladies do it? We are on a 2.5 hour schedule until LO is at her birth weight. I am debating on taking a Gravol at the start of a session so that I can fall asleep. Anything to get me some rest.

Re: Trouble Sleeping

• Options
    Have you figured out what causes you to panic? For me sleep = sanity. I also have a two year old that requires me to function during the day, so I cherish every bit of sleep I can get.

When I'm able to take a nap, I listen to ocean sounds on you tube and just focus on that sound and drift off to sleep. Kind of like a meditation thing.

I wouldn't recommend using any medication to fall asleep. Maybe try some camomile tea and a bath or something?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    arwestover3arwestover3 member
    edited October 2015
    Diet and exercise have helped me! Not like going on a diet, but eating mostly healthy foods, along with a little more chocolate than I normally might have ;)

(Edited because I accidentally pressed the button too early!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I downloaded a white noise app (White Noise Baby) and turned on the Womb sound for DD and it actually helped me go to sleep too I think...
  • Options
    This is me!!!!!!!! I want to sleep so bad but my mind races a million miles a minute. If she's napping I try to nap but then I can't stop thinking of her not breathing or covering her face with her sleeve, it just doesn't stop for me.
  • Options
    I do ok sleeping while she's sleeping at night. The first few days home I would just lay there and look at her. I have a hard time napping while she sleeps during the day. When she sleeps I think of all the things that need to be done, like laundry and dishes, etc.
  • Options
    This is me to a T, and I am having the worst anxiety over it. Over the last 3 days I have had 7 hours total of sleep. Last night I ended up taking a Gravol because I was having a breakdown and it only got me 2 1/2 hours. I am going to see my doctor today to get advice.
  • Options
    I did two things to help me with this. One night I let DH bring me the baby when she woke up to feed at night and I slept in the spare room. I wouldn't let myself not trust DH to be able to do that for me. The next night I gave myself a positive self talk and just basically said - you need sleep. Sleep. DD will be fine but you won't be if you don't sleep. Sleep is important....you get the point. Now if I feel anxious (I still have my moments) I do my self talk again and it works! I will be a better mom, wife, person in general if I don't let myself get over sleep deprived.
  • Options
    I did two things to help me with this. One night I let DH bring me the baby when she woke up to feed at night and I slept in the spare room. I wouldn't let myself not trust DH to be able to do that for me. The next night I gave myself a positive self talk and just basically said - you need sleep. Sleep. DD will be fine but you won't be if you don't sleep. Sleep is important....you get the point. Now if I feel anxious (I still have my moments) I do my self talk again and it works! I will be a better mom, wife, person in general if I don't let myself get over sleep deprived.
    I did this last night to help with the anxiety. I closed my eyes and talked out my problems to myself. Anything that I was able to bring up as an issue I would give myself an explanation as to why I was being this way and how it was easily correctable/fixable/not worth the anxiety.
  • Options
    I am having the same problem. I had a breakdown the other day and my husband assured me that although I'm tired my body will be ok without sleep. He said when I am exhausted enough I will just pass out which is what happens now that I'm in the third week home. Also what has helped me has been naps in the am. I am only able to nap after a night of some sleep not during the day. At night when baby lays down to sleep I also have been taking half of a benadryl if I feel very anxious and desperate for sleep I know its not the best idea but it has kept me sane a few times without a very groggy feeling when baby wakes up.