April 2016 Moms
Options

my office smells like paint? should i ask to go home???

SO for some odd reason, only my office smells like paint, and my boss said its probably not good if I sit in here inhaling that smell all day, but said there was no memo sent out saying they painted. But its a strong smell of paint or chemicals, not sure if the ventalation is just carrying over a smell from somewhere else, but do any of you think it could be bad to sit in my office all day with it smelling like this? is there potential harm from inhaling the smell that could have traveled from another office or floor?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: my office smells like paint? should i ask to go home???

• Options
    I have no idea but now I have a headache imagining that.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    I keep trying to feel my boss out and say, well im kind of getting a headache and not sure if its good for me to be sitting in here, hoping she would send me home, but no go

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you sit somewhere else for the day (if you feel weird leaving)? Like a conference room?

If you can't sit somewhere else and you feel weird leaving then definitely keep your door wide open to keep the air moving as much as possible.
  • Options
    yeah I cant work anywhere else as the other computers don't have the same programs, i have a fan i can turn on, just want to make sure its safe, I can deal with the smell as long as its not harmful :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't know about health concerns (long-term) but I do know I couldn't sit like that all day. I would ask to work from home.
  • Options
    It sounds like your boss already initiated the discussion to go home for the day, which is great of him/her to recognize that he smell could be harmful.  I think you're more than entitled to go home for the day - I'd rather lose a few hours of work than make myself sick inhaling nasty fumes.
    If it were me, I'd go home.  It's a justified excuse.