May 2016 Moms

Potential new job

Today I have a job interview for a job I'm really, really excited about. I'm waffling (mmmm, waffles) on when to tell them about my pregnancy. I obviously won't during the interview, but I don't want them to feel screwed over if I wait too long and potentially not re-hire me after the baby is born. They are a small business, so my leaving for a few weeks will have a big impact on things. Any thoughts?

Re: Potential new job

• Jenly17Jenly17 member
    edited October 2015
    I'm so glad you posted this, because I was going to start the same thread. I have an interview the first week in November, and I'll be 11 weeks at that point. I don't plan to discuss it in the interview process, and I honestly don't think you feel obliged to. They will hire you based on your background and your abilities to do your work well. My thought is that if I get an offer, I will sign a contract and then pretty much immediately tell them that I'm pregnant. I understand how nerve wracking it is though, it makes me nervous just thinking about it. Wishing you the best of luck @TheThornBird

Edited to correct tag
  • I am in the same boat..I interviewed for a job the day I got my BFP. I have been there for almost 3 weeks not but I want to tell them after I am done my orientation but that is for another few weeks. I am thinking I might tell them now that I am 12 weeks..I didn't want to tell them right away b/c I have had losses but I think I need to do it ASAP
  • Loading the player...
  • I would wait until after you get the job offer to tell them, but not too long after you start.  Since this is a small company, they will likely appreciate as much notice as possible since they may to hire a temporary employee to cover your responsibilities while you are out on maternity leave.  The more open and honest you are about the pregnancy and your expectations and intentions, the better the news will be received.  I would make it clear that you appreciate this opportunity, that you are going to do everything you can to excel at this position until you have to go on maternity leave, and that you intend to return with the same intensity and motivation.  If the employer can't accept and respect that, then they probably aren't someone you will be happy working for long-term anyway.  Good luck!          
  • The most important thing (I've been told) is not to leave anyone in the lurch. When you tell them, have a clear idea of how long you expect to take, what you'll do if there are complications, who can cover your work (talk to them first!), how much you can do from home, etc. Offer to train whatever temp they get to replace you, etc. Minimize the impact.

But do not tell them until you've got the job and all the paperwork has been signed. And don't feel guilty: They might lose you for six weeks, but they'll have you (and loyally) for much, much longer!
  • Also following, may be changing jobs soon and it feels so awkward to do at this point. It's still early (I'll be 10 weeks Thursday) but I would probably start the new job ~Jan 1... which is closer to 20 weeks. And it is also with a smaller company. I guess we'll see what happens and I'll worry more if it starts looking real. But I don't think I'll be able to hide it at that point, especially since this is my second pregnancy. I will probably mention it after receiving an offer but before accepting? Not sure what the proper etiquette is for this.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• I came across this article, I found it interesting but it doesn't really give specific yes/no answers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2013/02/25/the-unofficial-rules-of-job-hunting-while-youre-pregnant/

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Well this post prompted me to tell..I sent an email about an hour ago..I am so nervous!