May 2016 Moms

Pregnancy insomnia?

I've always heard of people being pregnant and not being able to sleep but I honestly thought I wouldn't be seeing it anytime soon! I'm 11 weeks and the last week I can not sleep for the life of me. This happening to anyone else?

Re: Pregnancy insomnia?

• Yes!! Me too. I fall asleep completely fine but wake up in the middle of the night then I'm up. All. Night. Haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup. Sounds familiar. Ive been sitting in bed for over an hour now trying to go back to sleep to no avail.

What kills me is that I'm exhausted when I fall asleep at night and when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning I'm still completely exhausted but unable to fall back asleep...

It makes no sense.
  • Yes, it's 5am and here I am, wide awake! This has happened like 6 times now. I fall asleep just fine but it's inevitable that I'll need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and then suddenly my mind is running in full gear and I can't fall back asleep.
  • Yes! I haven't slept through the night in weeks. It sucks so, so much. What I've found helps is limiting my water consumption in the evening so I don't have to pee as much during the night. Also, part of my problem was I would fall asleep on the couch while watching tv, then get up and get ready for bed, which woke me right back up or caused me to wake up at 2am. So now I get ready for bed way before I'm actually tired- brush my teeth, put on pjs, wash off makeup- and as soon as I start nodding off I go right to bed.
  • A thousand times yes. I get up to pee at least 4 times a night. And 3 out of 4 times I can't get back to sleep. I then resort to my phone (which is probably the worst thing I can do) to tire my eyes out. It's bad, I feel for you.
  • Takes me 3 hours to fall asleep then I'm up every hour or more to pee, but I don't seem to struggle too much to fall back to sleep. That said, I have always had an overactive bladder so I'm used to multiple wake ups to pee
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I haven't slept through a night in the past month, easily (I'm 11 weeks). But the thing is, when I wake up I don't even need to pee. I just wake up, about every hour like clockwork and then toss and turn for about 30 min until I fall asleep again. It's infuriating! Even when I get to stay in bed longer on the weekends, I still never feel rested. Not looking forward to the 3 trimester if it's this bad already!
  • Same here. Insomnia has a whole new meaning. I have been waking up at 2,3 and sometimes if I am lucky I make it till 4. At least it doesn't hurt the baby just makes me exhausted
  • Yes! I am 12 weeks and my average sleep per night is about 4 hours if I am lucky right now. Im having alot of restless leg issues, not being able to get comfortable, peeing constantly, and my mind just will NOT stop working in overdrive. The Zofran the doc gave me at 8 weeks knocked me out pretty good but since the nausea has all but disappeared for the most part I am not taking that anymore.

The best I can do is hope and pray that I can squeeze in a nap or even just sleep an extra hour at night at this point! Hoping things sort themselves out soon.
  • Insomnia is my worst symptom at this point. I fall asleep around 11 pm every night and am up around 3 am. I usually don't even have to pee so I just lay there hoping I nod off again which hardly ever happens. Then I get up to pee and finally fall back asleep around 5-6 am but hear the kids yelling at 7 am. It's awful!!!!
  • It sucks. I'm trying not to drink water before bed because once I get up to pee, it's middle-of-the-night worrying time for the next hour. Hope it doesn't last!
  • It's 4:00AM here. Not only did I wake up a few hours ago to pee but I just woke up feeling so nauseous and hungry that I gagged my way to the bathroom.

Currently standing in the kitchen eating saltines and drinking water. I hope I can go back to sleep. This is the first time it hit me like this at night. I'm 11 weeks and a few days along.

I hope it's a one time thing cause work in the morning will be a killer.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm hoping the "safety" of 2nd trimester allows me to sleep more and worry less in the middle of the night. My NP also said I could take half a unisom at night which I do sometimes if I'm overly anxious that day or know that I've had a long day and really need to sleep. I don't dare take it at 4 am though when I need to wake up at 5:30, then I resort to sleeping on the couch with Pandora Ambient station playing on my phone.
    With DD I didn't sleep well in the 3rd trimester and I truly believe it was great training for having a newborn and all those sleepless nights and functioning during the day. However I'd like to tell this little one that I don't need the training this early on.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Me too! I fall asleep no problem but wake up between midnight and two and never go back to sleep! Which makes me so exhausted in the evenings. I'm not getting any time with hubby on this sleep pattern.
  • Yep, struggle is real. It's easy for me to fall asleep but after I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it takes me forever to fall back asleep.

• Insomnia check in. I was sleeping soooo well but had a strong studded urge to pee. Now I'm stuck. Awake but tired.
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Yes, it's 5am and here I am, wide awake! This has happened like 6 times now. I fall asleep just fine but it's inevitable that I'll need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and then suddenly my mind is running in full gear and I can't fall back asleep.

This is me currently
  • Has anyone had luck with unisom? I've been thinking of taking it (especially since my morning sickness has come back with all the fury of hell) but I'm terrified I'll sleep so soundly I'll pee myself. It's bad enough I have dreams about peeing and wake up just in time =\
  • jholkemajholkema member
    edited October 2015
    I'm happy to hear it's not just me! (I am 12 weeks) I have no problem falling asleep at night but i have serious trouble staying asleep. I always wake up to pee and then I'm wide awake for hours! It's brutal.
  • I have always been a night owl (I've worked in restaurants and bars forever so it's kind of been my sleep habits for years) Even though I'm exhausted I usually don't end up falling asleep until 1am as it is. I get up probably twice to pee and usually can fall back asleep fine (as long as my bf isn't snoring :-/ )

My problem is all of a sudden in SUUUCH a light sleeper!! Like I will wake up to ANYTHING! the dog moves in the other room and I'm awake. That mixed with the crazy dreams I'm having.. I'm getting very little sleep! I-)
  •  
    Has anyone had luck with unisom? I've been thinking of taking it (especially since my morning sickness has come back with all the fury of hell) but I'm terrified I'll sleep so soundly I'll pee myself. It's bad enough I have dreams about peeing and wake up just in time =\
    I have been taking Unisom since I ran out of my free clinic samples of Diclegis (ain't no way I am spending $250 on a prescription!) and I can always wake up to pee...usually 3-4 times a night. Sometimes, I am partially aware so I think it might be a bit of sleep walking and I did wake up in my son's room one morning, completely unaware of how I got there. But not wet bed or pants, so I'll call that a win. Waking up in the morning is tough, especially if I take my Unisom late and I have absolutely crazy dreams, but it is worth it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes! Between crazy dreams and waking up to pee or because I'm uncomfortable I'm usually up a few hours a night
  • Hi. All of this is me. Between the dreams, random thoughts that wake me up and ponder munchkins life- like how close kindergarten is after munchkin begins walking(crazy i know); to I heard a sound, I must investigate, and the ever famous I need to pee, but after doing so, realizing this bed is suddenly the most uncomfortable thing in the world. Someone please tell me it gets better?!
  • Has anyone had luck with unisom? I've been thinking of taking it (especially since my morning sickness has come back with all the fury of hell) but I'm terrified I'll sleep so soundly I'll pee myself. It's bad enough I have dreams about peeing and wake up just in time =\
    You will so not sleep through peeing...

I take 50mg of benadryl and 1 Unisom (doxylamine) every single night. Sometimes 2 Unisom if my anxiety/insomnia is at ridiculous levels.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• This is definitely me, especially this past week. I sleep in bursts. 2 hours here 4 hours there if I'm lucky. No matter how tired I am or how heavy my eyes get I still can't seem to get sleep.
  • Ugh, I have a problem falling asleep.  My sinuses seem to want to drain and act up at night and drain and choke me.  On top of that I can't fall asleep unless I take a tylenol pm or a benadryl.  If i try to go to sleep without it then I'll be lucky to get even two hours of sleep.  Plus the getting up to pee three and four times a night!  Ugh!

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • if I have to get up to pee, I try to walk all the way there and back to bed without opening my eyes. I know it sounds funny but sometimes it helps me to not wake up too much. but our kitten gets up to play when either of us gets up for anything so that's usually a wasted effort...she goes to find a toy and brings it up to bed and drops it by your face so you'll throw it. if you don't throw it she pats you with her paw until you do!