January 2016 Moms
Options

Snuza & Sproutling Baby Monitors...any experience with these?

Has anyone had experience with or heard any chatter about either of these products? They both seem pretty amazing - especially the Sproutling.

Sproutling ($299 - currently sold out but there is a wait list) - Fitbit like device for your baby to wear on ankle. It connects to an app and alerts you if the baby's heart stops beating or of the baby flips on his / her tummy. It also claims to tell you about how much time baby will spend sleeping and if room conditions are ideal for baby. https://www.sproutling.com

Snuza Hero (~$120) - clips on baby's diaper while sleeping and sounds alarm if no abdominal movement is detected within 15 seconds. https://us.snuza.com/baby-movement-monitors/snuza-hero/

I think I would be very interested in getting one or both of these (for my own peace of mind). Just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience or thoughts about them? Thanks!

Re: Snuza & Sproutling Baby Monitors...any experience with these?

• Options
    No expriece but I regisrered and got the Snuza as a gift. I would love to hear if anyone has experience with either also!
  • Options
    I had never heard of either of these before. The Sproutling especially seems intriguing. I personally wouldn't want to spend that much on a monitor, but for moms who are more of the worriers it might be a good investment for peace of mind. The only concern I would have with the Sproutling is if it would be able to be kicked off. Kind of like how babies always kick off their socks, I would think this might be able to be kicked off. I would have a similar concern with the Snuza with it getting pulled off or knocked off. It also looks like it could be a bit uncomfortable for baby, but that is hard to tell. I just know one of my friends had the Angelcare monitor that has a mat that you put under the crib mattress that monitors movement and sounds an alarm if it doesn't detect movement within a certain amount of time. Well, she just about had a heart attack several times because the alarm went off, but then when she run up to check on baby he had just moved so he wasn't overtop of the mat anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ljohn43 said:

Has anyone had experience with or heard any chatter about either of these products? They both seem pretty amazing - especially the Sproutling.

Sproutling ($299 - currently sold out but there is a wait list) - Fitbit like device for your baby to wear on ankle. It connects to an app and alerts you if the baby's heart stops beating or of the baby flips on his / her tummy. It also claims to tell you about how much time baby will spend sleeping and if room conditions are ideal for baby. https://www.sproutling.com

Snuza Hero (~$120) - clips on baby's diaper while sleeping and sounds alarm if no abdominal movement is detected within 15 seconds. https://us.snuza.com/baby-movement-monitors/snuza-hero/

I think I would be very interested in getting one or both of these (for my own peace of mind). Just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience or thoughts about them? Thanks!

I put my name on the waiting list for a Sproutling several months ago but haven't heard anything about it being available. :(
  • Options
    The Sproutling sounds really interesting. I read some bad reviews on Angelcare.
  • Options
    I remember reading about the sprout like at the beginning of the year, but honestly, and this might be a needless worry, but the idea of having something Bluetooth attached to my child makes me nervous since there's probably not many studies on long term effects of it. Again, might be needless worry, but that was the only concern I had, otherwise it sounded cool.
  • Options
    I've read a lot of good things about Snuza and have found some other pages on this app that talked about it. I registered for it last night.
  • Options
    I haven't seen the sprouting - but read about another similar sounding monitor on TechCrunch called the owlet that I was thinking about getting: https://techcrunch.com/2015/10/25/owlet-the-smart-baby-sock-is-already-saving-lives/
  • Options
    I had pretty bad post-partum anxiety with #1 (I'm an anxious person as it is), and my anxiety was focused on SIDS, etc in particular. We got a Snuza and it was amazing for peace of mind (as in, I could actually sleep when the baby was sleeping). Highly recommended if you are anxious. I found it great for peace of mind.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think I will get the Snuza for now!! I have the angel care on my registry, but was a little skeptical based on reviews I'd read and also wasn't impressed by the small screen. I think I'll switch to another monitor that has a better screen and rely on the Snuza for movement!

Hopefully the Sproutling becomes available again at some point bc I think I would be interested to try it out!!

The owlet looked cool too (similar to Sproutling) except I thought the Sproutling had a better chance of staying put on the baby!
  • Options
    Insomnia lurking** a close friend and mom of three highly recommended the Snuza to me. She even bought a new one for her last baby after her original wore out. So as a third time mom, she still found value in having it. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    RN0107RN0107 member
    edited October 2015
    **lurking** from the limited research I've done on the Owlet vs the Sproutling...yes the Sproutling might stay on better but the Owlet not only measures heart rate but baby's oxygen level as well. I think the Sproutling only measures heart rate.

Edit to fix spelling

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Options
    Thanks! That does help! Also I did not know they Owlet measured more than the Sproutling ... I need to do more research!!
  • Options
    The family I nanny for used the Snuza for their twins. I think it's a great product for small babies. Once they are big enough to roll over in their sleep (it's ok to let them sleep like this if they do it themselves ) I found that they could accidentally dislodge it and it would go off, waking baby and scaring the poop out of me. But other than that it is a very nice little product. I've registered for one too.
  • Options
    I have a snuza leftover from my little boy. I honestly never used it as I got it when he was old enough to roll over and he didn't like it. I'm planning on using it for baby girl, though.
    Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• Options
    lexijoslexijos member
    I had the snuza and I actually wasn't the biggest fan of it, it would leave a sore mark on my baby. I would also get lots of false alarms. I switched over to the owlet though and I love it. I love that it monitors my baby's heart rate and oxygen levels and will alert me if there is a problem with either of them. I also love that there is an app that I can see her vitals while she is wearing the owlet. The peace of mind it has brought me has been priceless!
  • Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    I have the owlet too as the Sproutling never became available. I honestly don't know how I would have been able to sleep in the beginning (and even now) without it! The best purchase!
  • Options
    ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited May 2016
    I'm with PreggoInTheCity, the thought of something hooked to my child with Bluetooth capability worries me just a little because we don't know the long term effects. Might not be a cause for concern, but it's just not for me. Sorry I wasn't helpful just posting food for thought :)

Edited because phone was not cooperating 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have the snuza and we really like it.  We have had some false alarms (if she's just sleeping in her diaper underneath the halo sleep sack it tends to slide around a bit) but it really, really helped me during the height of my postpartum anxiety.
  • Options
    kgcnyckgcnyc member
    Get the owlet! I love mine and like being able to see that "readings are normal" when I'm at work and he's napping. And yes, it measures heart rate and oxygen - so if baby stops breathing or is getting less oxygen it will alert you.
    there is a bit of a learning curve for how to put it on and when to turn it on, how far you can be away from dock, etc. but once you get it down it works like a charm!