June 2016 Moms
Options

Do you push yourself through your fatigue or do you let yourself rest/nap all day?

FTM here (5 weeks) and today I had every intention of having a productive day, but my body decided that I was not going to. After getting up at 8 am today and watching tv for 4 hours, I laid down for nap and woke up 3 hours later. I feel guilty! I know that the housework can wait and I need to take care of myself right now, but I feel so lazy! What do you do? Push through the fatigue or let yourself sleep?

Re: Do you push yourself through your fatigue or do you let yourself rest/nap all day?

• Options
    Mostly sleep! Haha. I was pretty productive today but 5-6 week were hard. Hang in there you will regain your energy (at least slightly) soon
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I try to get a few things done and then rest. I also have 2 other children that are 2 and 4...so I take a chance to rest if I get it. Take advantage of this being your first and relax :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sleep now! I slept basically my whole first trimester with my first. You can't do that during your second pregnancy :(
  • Options
    I'm also a FTM. :) If I'm feeling especially exhausted, I let myself rest...I don't want to push or overdo it. Other days I try to get as much done as I can. I'm usually pretty wiped by the end of the work day, so I don't usually do much other than rest in the evenings throughout the week. I think it's about finding a balance, but also listening to what your body needs. Luckily I've heard this fatigue gets better in the 2nd trimester...I'll get more stuff done then! ;) 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Options
    I wish I could sleep! I have a toddler to chase after. Enjoy relaxing in your first pregnancy while you can X
  • Options
    I tried napping today when the babies did, but the 3-year old decided to use me as a jungle gym the entire time. I would pay somebody to come over and let me take a nap every day!
    BFP 5/2/11 DS born 1/19/12. 
    BFP #2 12/29/12, EDD 9/6/13, MC 1/2/13.
    BFP #3 5/4/13, EDD 1/9/14  Twin Boys! L&L born 12/18/13
    BFP #4 10/10/15 - Surprise!  Boy #4!.  EDD 6/19/16

• Options
    I sleep when DD lays down for her nap. And I go to bed early!
  • Options
    I agree with previous post. It's my second. I take it easy and slowly get things done. Once DS takes a nap I'm right there with him. Rest when you can. There will always be things to do! Congrats btw!
  • Options
    I've been resting. These veteran moms have a really good point and I've been enjoying having the time to relax with my first pregnancy. Luckily my husband has been taking care of everything so I'm able to rest. I also can't even make dinner without getting nauseous, so I'm super greatful for him.

If you don't have to push yourself, then don't. You are growing a human and that's a lot!!

I have been getting some spurts of energy so I've been able to get cleaning done and help out. I just cannot wait for the second trimester.
  • Options
    I rest when I can. Which is as soon as DS goes to bed. I know second tri will be much better. :-) hang in there.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    DH let me take a nap today (although he did so begrudgingly). If your body wants to rest, I personally think listen to it unless you have responsibilities that need to be attended to.

• Options
    What everyone else has said. Rest as much as you can. You'll feel better once you rest and relax. And don't worry about the chores, they'll be there when you're ready. :)

• Options
    Sleep while you can!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have been so tired this weekend!!! I have been mostly resting. My hubby has been helping a ton though!! Not looking forward to the work week... Hello Sunday night blues.
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • Options
    I can rest after 8pm. I get up at 5:30, get me and the toddler out the door, then the day takes over. Once DS is down, I'm a free woman! And I usually take a shower and go straight to bed :)
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    HighFive16HighFive16 member
    edited October 2015
    Yesterday DH made me nap when DD napped and it was heaven. I really needed it. But besides that I generally keep pushing through it. Once DD goes to bed, I deal with the household stuff and am straight to bed. I cannot wait for the energy of the 2nd trimester again! Hang in there. It will be here before we know it. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    kmarie833 said:

I wish I could sleep! I have a toddler to chase after. Enjoy relaxing in your first pregnancy while you can X

Exactly! There's nothing like that first pregnancy. Enjoy every second of it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    H and I went for a long walk after my nap and I got tired in the middle of it. Wow this fatigue is no joke! Luckily for me he made dinner and insisted in cleaning it up himself.

I feel for those of you with kids at home, it's gotta be rough!! I'm not looking forward to working this week! Planning on some car naps at lunch.
  • Options
    I'm in the military, have a 4 year old and a 2 year old plus a firefighter husband. I wake up at three to go to work and home by 5. Have house cleaned 2 year old fed and bathed . I then cook and clean. 2 year old in bed by 6 husband and 4 year old home by 7-7:30. Then eat dinner, do dishes, shower and in bed by 9. I don't even have time to nap. I envy the women that can. If you can nap then nap!!
  • Options
    I have long hours during the work week, plus cleaning, cooking, working out, etc so naps don't happen then. I'm up by 6ish most mornings and asleep by 10:30/11 most nights.

This weekend I was wiped though. H made me nap twice today alone and I really needed it. Thankfully he picked up the chore slack while I napped. Wonderful man!
  • Options
    Take advantage while you can. I felt guilty last time around and didn't indulge that much and now I can't because I have a busy 2 y/o. But I nap almost daily with her and dud before I was PG.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I took a nap every single day when I was pregnant with my first. I say take advantage of it while you can. You should get your energy back soon!

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    I'm a SAHM with a two year old, so I can't rest too much. I rest and sometimes nap when he does and there have been days when I let him watch a video longer than he really should do I could get a break. DH has been good about giving me breaks on weekends and in the evenings.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My toddler and I have the same bedtime right now. It's a tough choice for me because I hate to not be productive and there are so many chores I could be doing during that time, but I am bad at life when I'm exhausted. My husband is pretty great about taking on more than his share of bedtimes right now because he knows I'm wrecked. But I will confess to having let my employees think I'm on a conference call, locking my office door and curling up on the nap mat I keep for when my daughter comes to work with me.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Got to love the weekends! I rest when I can. DH is awesome and holds down the fort so I can get some rest. It just started to really hit me like a truck today I could barely keep my eyes open all day :(
    Lucky for me he has mon/tue off too! After that I'll be stuck only napping when my youngest naps while my 3.5yr old chills in bed with me and some toons. If I'm still this exhausted that is.
     BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Trust me! Enjoy this first pregnancy if you can! Can't do that with your second lol. If you want to sleep snooze away!!
  • Options
    I let myself sleep the fatigue is unbelievable. If I even feel a little good I'll do one or two things. Totally empathize with you, FTM as well and am used to running around like a busy beaver! Thank goodness hubby stepped up his housework game
  • Options
    AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited October 2015
    I have two kids, one of which no longer naps, and I work from home, so napping or even tacking a break really isn't an option. If it was I would love to take advantage of it, but I haven't had a nap since right after dd was born a year and a half ago.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my son, I slept all the time. So sleep!! But being pregnant this time, it's a lot harder! I was able to get a two hour nap in yesterday though!
  • Options
    On weekdays, I try to rest when my 2 y/o is napping (my 5 year old is at school). On weekends, my husband goes on "kid duty" while I rest. I really don't think I'd make it through the day without napping right now. I'm too exhausted!

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• Options
    Definitely rest! Your body is doing a lot right now and you need the sleep. Take it when you can get it!
  • Options

Rest. This won't last forever and you can worry about being productive in a few weeks when you have more energy.

• Options
    Wish I could sleeeeeeep! If I could rest all the time, I would and wouldn't feel the least guilty!!! I unfortunately have to work. Take advantage of it! You're fortunate to have that option. ;)
  • Options
    I don't think I'm so much fatigued as just lazy. I lay around a lot! I'm in between jobs right now so I have that option. In a week, I won't!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with many of the others an and rest while you can :) the first trimester was the hardest for me fatigue wise last time not only was I tired all the time but my MS was ALL day sickness... I would lay down in my classroom each day at lunch and just pray to make it to the end of the day... Then leave school with my students and crash in the sofa for the rest of the afternoon :-/

I am only 4.5 weeks and feel okay but I have a 9 month old now who is crawling and getting into everything!! It will just be a matter of time before she is running and getting into everything...

Rest while you can!!

• Options
    I really try and stay productive, but I have 2 lo's already. They will be 3 and 1 in January so I rest when they do.
  • Options
    I have been exhausted weeks 5 and beyond. I finally made it to week 8 now. I hear you get a second wind in 2nd trimester and I can't wait. All I wanna do is lay down and sleep but each day I tty to accomplish something. I'm used to being very productive but it's hard when your yawning all the time, lol
  • Options
    Hi, im also extremely tired all the time. I work full time, and am prepping for exams too. When I get into bed I almost pass out, this is very unlike me. I can also see my work proformance suffering. Hope it gets better.
  • Options
    I am totally with you on this. I'm in grad school reading some really dense stuff, and while I love my field, honestly, I'm so tired that doing the reading lulls me to sleep. My brain is constantly distracted with thoughts of baby, sleep, or something at work I need to accomplish. I feel like I am falling behind in everything, especially sleep.