January 2016 Moms

New symptom

I'm 30 weeks today and for about a week now I've had this burning/raw feeling right along my breast bone only under my right breast. It starts in the middle of my chest and runs along the bottom of my breast. I at first thought it was heartburn, but realized it's not. At times it feels as if my skin is being stretched. I'm guessing this is just because my belly has grown along with my breasts, and now they meet! Lol! It bothers me regardless if I have a bra on or not. I've tried using baby powder, but that's not helping much. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips for relief? I do at times have a red line that runs along the path of the burning feeling, but other times it just feels raw but nothing shows. Thanks for any help!

Re: New symptom

• I have pain under breasts, runs along top of ribs. I assume my ribs are spreading some-along with the rest of me.
    A few weeks ago I had to stop wearing underwire as it would dig into the area where belly and boobs meet. Very painful.
    I also use powder because there is not really any space there anymore, keeps the area dry.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Kelley421 said:

I have pain under breasts, runs along top of ribs. I assume my ribs are spreading some-along with the rest of me.
    A few weeks ago I had to stop wearing underwire as it would dig into the area where belly and boobs meet. Very painful.
    I also use powder because there is not really any space there anymore, keeps the area dry.

I definitely can't wear underwire anymore but that started at like 14 weeks this pregnancy. Even the coobie bras I have been wearing are starting to irritate

OP u am getting that feeling but a little lower, I think it is just muscle stretching and unfortunately probably not going to go away for the remainder of the pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, rib pain. Mine is the worst at night when I'm laying down, on my right side. My breastbone and ribs on that side scream. Buy toward evening, the whole rib area starts aching like they're being stretched and split.
  • I would let your doctor know but I think you can have inflammation of your cartilage there.
  • It's rib spreading, I have it on both sides at various times. Not much to do but sitting in a somewhat reclined position is more comfortable for me. I'll also use a cool compress at times. 
  • I asked my doctor about this with my last pregnancy. I had a burning/tingling kind of pain along my ribs under my right breast. He said it was a pinched nerve (because everything is expanding and moving) and after I thought about when it happens and in what position it made total sense. It's back in full force this time around. My ribs also ache terribly at night. My right side is worse than the left. I don't think there really is anything that can be done about it other than switching sides constantly, and we all know how easy that is...
  • I had something similar, if not the same things. It felt like the equivalent to a sunburn. I actually put some aloe gel and it seemed to really help.
  • Thank you ladies!! I'm glad to know I wasn't just imagining all of this. I was thinking maybe my bras were just too small. I'll bring it up to my doctor. I go back in a couple of weeks.
  • I've had this pain for a few weeks now. At first my dr told me it was nerve pain from the intercostals but when it didn't go away she determined it was from my abdominals stretching. I do "active" prenatal yoga and she said to stop that and stick to gentle stretches. I have noticed less pain, also not wearing my bras when I don't have to seems to help. I bring a water bottle with me and put it behind my back and roll it around my ribs. Warm showers help too!
  • Just an update... I called my dr and it could be a number of things. First they want me to take tums for the next several days to see if it's heartburn. Then they want me to stop the tums and try warm/cold compresses to see if it's muscular. Depending if I get relief from one or the other should help determine what it is. They said if I have no relief or if it worsens to call back Friday and they'll have me in for an exam as I could have a bruised rib from the baby. We shall see!!
  • suchaglencocosuchaglencoco member
    edited October 2015
    Eta, posted on wrong thread