1st Trimester
Options

HcG doubling but progesterone is really low

Hi ladies,

I'm just wondering if someone else has had this problem before... 

I am supposed to be around 6 weeks pregnant (unless the timing is really off, but I'm charting, so that's unlikely).  I went to my doctor on Monday because I started spotting.  Got the HcG beta and it was 27.. the progesterone was 0.5.  After that, my doctor basically told me it was a "non-viable pregnancy". However, my HcG levels from yesterday were 65.  She said she wasn't expecting that because of my very low progesterone levels.  I'm going back on Monday for another HcG test and depending on those results, she wants to see me Tuesday or Wednesday.  

I find my HcG levels to be very low, even if they are doubling... and I am so concerned about my progesterone levels.  Is it normal for something like this to happen right before a miscarriage? Could it be a ectopic pregnancy? I know I'm not being very optimistic right now... but it's kind of hard to be after they tell you the pregnancy is non viable... :(

I am so stressed and worried!! 

Thanks in advance!
Me: 29   DH: 33
TTC #1: Since Sept 2015
MC: Oct 2015
BFP: 03/05/16
EDD: 11/16/16
Baby Girl born on 11/04/16

Trying to Conceive Ticker
Anniversary
Visit The Nest

Re: HcG doubling but progesterone is really low

• Options
    So they didn't give you progesterone ?
  • Options
    pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited October 2015
    In this situation they really should be checking your numbers strictly EOD, or even every day to see if there is a rise at all. In the event this could be a viable pregnancy, it's easy to supplement progesterone to support the pregnancy, but you would need the progesterone support like NOW- the progesterone is what tells your body to keep everything in there, you know? A drop in prog signals your body to have a period, which would evacuate a potentially viable embryo. 

I would call and tell them at the very least you don't want to wait so long for another beta. Good luck. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Betas that low at 6 weeks are a bit concerning but more concerning is that they didn't try putting you on progesterone. My only thought is they assumed that you were miscarrying in which case all the progesterone in the world wouldn't make a difference. Make sure that you talk to them about what to do in future pregnancies. Supplementation with progesterone during the luteal phase can help to retain a pregnancy that otherwise would be lost due to low progesterone.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out.
  • Options
    pat87pat87 member
    edited October 2015
    Thank you all!

They did not give me progesterone... She assumed I was miscarrying.... We'll see what happens.. :( I'm hopeful that everything will work out next time...

Congrats to all of you, btw! :)

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options
    :( I'm sorry they didn't even seem to try !
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this! If your TTC maybe talk to your doc about checking your progesteron after you ovulate. I did that since i had a mc and had issues with bleeding before that too. I started taking them vaginally about 3 days after ovulation and then got my levels tested a few days later (21st day of my cycle) and then again a the following week. My levels were good so i kept taking them until the 12th week.

Take care. It will happen and sorry your going through this.
  • Options
    @jonesl12 thank you!

@Knottie2891384 That seems like an excellent idea! I'll talk to my doc about it next week. Thank you!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options
    ***warning ectopic mentioned: I presented with low betas 5w0d hCG 124, progesterone 6 (5 or under is considered non-viable) and I was given P4 (which I am sure worsened the situation but we had to try) and betas began doubling normally (which is the most dangerous ectopic; I had no pain). My OB did not DX early enough (at 1,500 is appropriate) and it ended badly. Be sure you are monitored very closely (every 2-3 days) until the risk is past. Most pgs are uterine, but if they are not better safe than sorry. I am sorry for beta hell. I am having my 6th cp right now and last(?) draw is Monday. :( ***

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @SharonB222 I'm sorry for your loss. And yes, I am super concerned about it being an ectopic pregnancy.  I'll see how hcG is on Monday and will definitely talk to my doctor about it.  Thanks!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options

@pat87, I got my hCG (not good); did you get yours?

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    pat87pat87 member
    edited October 2015
    @SharonB222, Yes.  I got mine... It was 21 on Monday.. :(. My doctor wants me to go back next Monday for more blood work, but just to confirm that it is not ectopic.  I'm sorry that your HcG results were not good. This is so stressful!!  A big hug for you!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options

@pat87, misery loves company? [cross-eyed emoticon] I am now unhappily 6w2d pg with an abnormal pg.

My cp turned into an ep risk (not confirmed, but likely). Betas 4w 26 - 17 - (heavy bleed) - 5w 19 - 6w 76! Geez oh flip. Full blood panel for me tomorrow and u/s (not that a pg could be seen with hCG 200 or so, but other stuff). So forget the babies, now it's about our well being. I had a OB who mishandled by 2008 ep, so hoping this potential ep resolves much better. FX my hCG is down tomorrow, or else it's probably MTX for me. At least the oncology dept has decent crackers and juice. Sorry for anyone who has to go there for any reason.

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    Ah, such a lonely road. More bad news here. I'm signing off. :(

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    @sharonB222 I'm sorry it took me long to respond, I just saw this.  What ended up happening? Let me know! I hope all is well. Hugs!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options

@pat87, thanks for asking. Did your pg "resolve"?

Ironically, I have an ectopic pg. I am now unhappily 9w0d pg - I've had pg loss before, but this one really ran me through the mill. cp (4w2d) turned mmc (5w6d) turned ep (6w6d). Thankfully, as of yesterday, it looks like the 3rd abortion attempt is working. FX until hCG is 0 (in a few weeks?) and then some. I was prepared for a failed cycle, but not THIS failed. This was our last TTC attempt so it's a sour note to end the TTC journey on, but it is what it is. Thankfully I have past success to embrace and turn my attention to.

Wishing you success in the nearer future.

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    @SharonB222 I am soo sorry to hear this!! I can't imagine what you are going through.  I hope you feel better soon... Sending you a big hug!

I am now on my cycle after miscarriage... I'll be waiting until January to start TTC again. 

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Options
    SharonB222SharonB222 member
    edited November 2015

@pat87, thanks, so few folks understand or express empathy/sympathy. Thank you for your kind words. Your child(ren) will be lucky for a caring mother. And I imagine you will feel gratitude for your child(ren). :)

FX, FX, FX for 2016 for you!!!!

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.