May 2016 Moms

First Doctors Appt

I have my first doctors appointment next Tuesday and I am not sure what to expect. I haven't been too excited and I think it's because I haven't been to the doctor and it doesn't seem real. I'll be 9 weeks so I'm hoping to have an ultrasound but when I called to make the appointment weeks ago I'm pretty sure they said I would get a pap, pee in a cup, blood work etc. nothing about an ultrasound. Hoping the girl on the phone was wrong. What was your first appointment like?

Re: First Doctors Appt

• Some offices do things differently. She's probably not wrong because my SIL didn't get an US till 2nd appt. My office, however, does early US so I got to see the baby at my first appt then blood work and stuff at my 2nd.
  • At my first appointment they just did bloodwork, medical history, pee in a cup and weight. My second appointment was an ob intake which went over my medical history, sexual history and extended family. After these two appointments I was finally able to schedule my u/s.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My first appt was an initial pregnancy test then I scheduled for my bloodwork, then just yesterday at my 3rd appt I had my pap and 1st ultrasound. But it seems every office if different :)
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited October 2015
    Mine was medical history, pap/exam, bloodwork, pee in a cup, and she tried the doppler but it was too early to hear the heart beat at 8 weeks. I will not get an ultrasound until the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. Unless I request one, which with my insurance I would be responsible for 10% of the cost.

ETA also if something happens like bleeding and cramping they would do an ultrasound.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Mine was blood draw, pee in a cup, medical history and u/s. It was at 8 weeks. Just call them back and ask for clarification.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• First office I went to they did a blood draw, medical history, and pee in a cup on appointment #1. 
    I didn't like my experience at that office and was concerned about how long I'd be going before I actually spoke with a doctor.Especially because at that point I was having a really hard time with nausea and vomiting and I didn't feel like they understood my distress.
    The second OB office I tried did the blood draw, medical history, pee in a cup, and an u/s at appointment #1. I was also able to talk with the doctor at that first appointment and was prescribed medication to manage my intense nausea and vomiting. 2 weeks later (yesterday) I had appointment #2 which included my pap. 

Every office is different. Choose a provider that provides you with peace of mind. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19