TTC After a Loss

Folks asking about family plans

Why do people think it's ok to ask about future children? It's as if the second we got married friends and acquaintances felt totally justified asking. I find it very bizarre. It's such an extremely personal question and it's basically getting right at your sex life. So weird. Does anyone else feel this way?

Re: Folks asking about family plans

• Since my husband and unstated trying in March of 2014 I have found it extremely annoying, especially after my loss this March.
  • I had that issue right after my husband and I got married. Then it didn't bother me I had my dd the following year. Seemed like the minute I got back from maternity leave it was when your gonna have baby #2. I made the mistake of telling people I was pregnant since I didn't have any issues with my daughter I felt safe telling, then I had the miscarriage and now I get people asking How's the baby making going or are you pregnant. Gets so annoying so even when I do become pregnant if it every happens again I'm planning on waiting till 12 weeks unless my legs and get swell up again then people will just know. I know they mean well but I try to keep my mind off of thinking about it then it makes me think about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is why I keep TTC and our loss quiet. If people ask I say "at some point" and don't elaborate.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• @CarrieandRoy Ha!! I love that. If only I had the courage to say that!
  • I've realized that the people who want to ask me most about this are the people who want to have kids themselves like right away. They are also the people who are incredibly delusional about how easy/difficult it is get pregnant. You know, the ones who expect to get pregnant as soon as they stop BC and feel like it's 100% in their control. Most of my friends and family are totally chill about it and never ask, but one of my husband's friends brings it up EVERY TIME, mostly because she wants to talk about her own plans (which is fine), and feels the need to ask about everyone else's too (so not fine).
  • I have to confess that I was having lunch with a friend a few months ago and we talked about my miscarriage and then I asked if she was planning on having a second child.  As soon as it was out of my mouth, I backpedaled and said if that was private, she didn't need to answer.  It was just curiosity and small talk.  We were already on the topic of pregnancy, so it came to mind.  I really do think that people mean well when they ask.  (Some take it too far, though, like the ones who have told me that at my age, the clock's ticking.)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I've totally done the same thing @CarrieandRoy or stopped myself just before asking. It is natural to want to know what is going on in people's lives, but now that we are having trouble TTC I am much less likely to ask family questions of others. People care and they mean well, but it can be painful when you are struggling!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• I am finding that sometimes it's how it is brought up. My SIL brought it up but for some reason I felt it was in a way that was more genuine vs taunting/harassing and found myself wanting to open up, so I did. Then my mom brought it up and it felt taunting and I found myself wanting to change the subject, so I did.