Food Allergy

Halloween Candy

Hi all! I'm new to this particular board. I didn't realize it existed until I was playing around today. DS just turned 2 and has a pretty severe peanut allergy diagnosed this past spring after he broke out in hives from contact with peanut butter . So far we've been lucky and avoided any major reaction since then. I am the label nazi.

My question is this, what do you all do for trick or treating as kiddos get older? Last year we took him to a carnival and we ate the candy because he was too little to eat any of it. This year I know its going to be more difficult. He is going to want to sample his goodies. I've read about the teal pumpkin project but not everyone offers that option. I do plan on making him his own goody bag of safe treats and we want to do the Switch Witch as he gets older. Just checking to see what other mamas have done. TIA!

Pregnancy Ticker

March '16 February Siggy challenge- After Pregnancy hopes

Re: Halloween Candy

• Daughter isn't quite two yet, so I'm not sure what we will be doing either! This year we are just going to a couple of houses of people that we know, and they will be prepared for our little one.
    I'm not really sure how we will handle it when she is older.
    I think with the peanut allergy, you might be lucky in that there are probably some trunk or treats that would be peanut free (at a school or church? Or maybe I just think that's a thing.)

From my own experience growing up with a lot of allergies, it was never a huge deal to me to sort through and figure out which candy I could have and which I couldn't. I have siblings, so I'd give them the candy I couldn't have, and they'd give me some I could in trade. (I'm allergic to chocolate and nuts, among other things, but not so badly that I can't be around it.)

And, FYI, this board really isn't that active. I try to check in on it pretty frequently, but for the most part it's no one really here.
  • Thank you! So far the only candy I've found is tootsie and dum dums. We live in the country so not a lot of friends nearby. I'm sure once hes older it'll get easier.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • A friend sent me this link: https://www.allergysf.com/safety/candy/nuts/

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks! That's a great link!!
  • Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I grew up with an anaphylactic peanut allergy, which was very rare when I was growing up. Still have it to this day. I was the only one in every school I went to. We always sorted my Halloween candy when I got home, and I would make trades with my younger siblings....or my dad got to enjoy all my Oh Henry bars! Absolutely no reason why your son can't enjoy some of his Halloween candy! Good luck!!!
  • I also have an anaphylactic peanut allergy and I did the same thing as pp, just traded-typically left me with smarties and tootsie rolls. Nowadays, they sell bags of candy that are all made in a peanut free facility (it's usually filled with tootsie rolls, lollipops, etc). Since LO was just diagnosed with a milk and egg allergy, I'm joining the Teal Pumpkin project and giving out non-food goodies (pencils, stickers, tattoos, etc.) I'm excited-I wish people had thought of that when I was a kid!