June 2015 Moms
Options

Attn: Co-Sleepers - advice needed

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I've appreciated the people in this group the past year, being so entertaining and supportive. It's been a great place to bounce ideas, questions, concerns, etc.

Anyways, regarding my question: We've loved co-sleeping and are so happy it's worked as well as it has for us, although we're running into a few bumps the past month with MOTN feedings and nap time during the day.

LO is nursing very frequently throughout the night (every 2hrs) and has started instantly waking and refusing to nap as soon as he's set down in his crib (sleeps at night in our bed, nursery during the day). Neither was a concern a few weeks ago.

I'm wonder what other co-sleepers are experiencing (Are you still co-sleeping? If not, please share about your transition! How often is LO nursing throughout the night? Where does LO nap? Is LO finding it difficult to sleep without you during naps, Ect.?), and any recommendations/advice.

If you aren't a co-sleeper but have some thoughts, please share as well. :)

Thank you!

Re: Attn: Co-Sleepers - advice needed

• Options
    I could also add that although he eats every 2 hr's around the clock, he's only ever eaten for 5-10mins at a time. Usually anything more than 5 and he's spitting everything up and he's more likely to wake at night afterwards with an upset tummy. Also, after each MOTN feeding, I sit up and burp him in bed for 5-10 minutes, then continue to sit up at an incline with him until it's been 20-25 minutes. If I don't, he wakes up shortly after we lay back down and becomes increasingly upset until I return to an incline with him. Reflux perhaps? Anyways, sleep.. Is basically non existent.
  • Options
    Still co sleeping though my guy only eats once during the night. I typically nurse to sleep at night and for naps. At night he sleeps hard and I can pump while he's out. During the day for naps it's in the bed. Sometimes (ok a lot of the time) I nap too, sometimes I read in bed next to him. Other times I sneak out and eat, do other chores, etc. The bed is on the floor and I make sure he's in the middle so I feel comfortable leaving him. I do think he sleeps longer if I'm in bed too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't co-sleep now, but we did until she was 3 weeks old because she couldn't lie down because of reflux and the only way any of us got any sleep was by letting her sleep at an incline on my or my husband's chest. Your situation does sound similar to what we've been through with our daughter - once she was put on Zantac, it made a huge difference and she then could only slept in her crib from 4 weeks on haha. I would mention it to you LO's doctor. The medicine they gave us for my daughter makes her feel so much better (it's not completely gone though..) but it allows us all to get sleep at night, so it's been very helpful!
  • Options
    Thanks @janit368, I love the idea of putting the bed on the floor. I'm so relieved to hear that you aren't nursing more frequently because you're sleeping so close. That makes me hopeful. Also that he can sleep on his own. Our LO is becoming reluctant to do so, I wasn't sure if it was because I was teaching him by co sleeping not to sleep alone, but I'm realizing now that his good naps aren't just when he's with me, it's when I'm up with him on an incline. So perhaps it's more about positioning than needing to be held.

@ashleymc09 you're right, I made an apt with my doc for this morning. Hopefully if the wrestles sleep, frequent feeds and needing to be held for naps if all related we can figure out what's going on. I'm so happy to hear that the medication is working well. You've been encouraging and we won't be opposed to medication if that's what the pedi recommends!

Blessings!
  • Options
    Good, I'm glad you can get in to see them so quickly! I hope you can get some answers and sleep soon! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Am on a call and bumping while working... but you are describing my LO and our situation, and I know it is not reflux. I am personally wary of how many babies are on medication (not in this thread, just generally), so just want to voice my LO eats fast and frequent, so it may not be reflux.

Obviously if your LO needs meds, then he needs it, but just voicing another perspective. More later today, good luck at appt
  • Options
    Hi again, and sorry for the spastic first reply. What did your doctor say??

We have co-slept with LO from Day 1, though not exclusively. It used to be maybe half the night and most naps, and now it's about one or two sessions during the night, and occasional naps. We have transitioned LO to his own room, which has a queen bed that I use to co-sleep. I call a "session" a two-hour period, because my LO wakes about that often. He wakes 7 times a night, but there are more sessions in the first two hours, as he seems to be cluster feeding after he goes down.

The transition to his own room and "crib" (PackNPlay) was difficult. We eventually figured out that LO did not have a comfortable sleeping surface. When we first transitioned to his own room, I was co-sleeping with him in his room from 10:30 pm and through the night (he goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:30). After we got his new mattress, I began co-sleeping in his room only after 4:00 am.

My kid has also only ever eaten from one side, for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise he spews everything he just ate. He also shouldn't eat more often than every hour, or that happens. I do not usually burp him at night, but we have to during the day or he spews. I recently learned that night nursing tends to be slower/more relaxed, which is why we can sometimes get away without burping. That said, sometimes in MOTN LO will fuss really badly, and after several times of picking him up again, he burps and only then do I realize that's the problem.

My baby naps waaaay better when I co-sleep. He has started not sleeping as well with me at night as he does in his PnP. He nurses way more often when I co-sleep, though it's nice not having to get up. I am now working on just soothing him back to sleep without a feeding if it's been less than 3 hours since he's eaten, at night. This seems to be working well.

You have the added complication of your kid wanting to be on an incline. That seems to be the only difference between your situation and mine - and your needing to always burp your kid. So maybe your baby is indeed dealing with reflux. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, earlier. As I said, I just worry about over-medicating. That said, I trust mamas and their decisions, so I absolutely do not mean to come across as judgmental or know-it-all.

I go back and forth between wishing my LO would sleep longer, and just believing these short, frequent feeds are what he needs. My pediatrician said rice cereal could help his stomach and keep him fuller (and thus asleep) longer. I have decided not to do that, and EBF until he's 6 months. I trust him to know what he needs, and do not want to fill him without good nutrition.

So this post is really long. But wanted you to be able to compare notes. I love co-sleeping, and wish we could do it exclusively. DH can't sleep as well if we all co-sleep, so that had to stop.

Also, Dr. Sears is a proponent of co-sleeping and wrote a book about sleep. I got it from my local library, and really appreciated reading something that aligned with my own "philosophy."

Hope you got good answers today, and you and LO find a routine that works for both of you. Don't forget the sleep regression throws everything out of whack, too...! Big hugs
  • Options
    Thank you so much @virginiaunicorn11 . Pls don't apologize for the long post, it was extremely helpful.

We have a double bed in LO's nursery as well, we had planned on sleeping in there for a while during his initial transition to the crib but now it's more likely that we'll bring the crib into our room I think. DH doesn't wake to feedings (yet), so that's helped.

The pedi apt want well, thank you for asking! He said the same thing as you, LO needing to be on an incline is the odd part. He asked if LO cries after feedings, as this could also be another indicator as well. LO doesn't cry, but about half the time he's very squirmy (uncomfortable, not distracted & fusses as though he's frustrated). I've always chalked it up to my fast letdown, he's done it since he was born (thank goodness the choking subsided), so I didn't really have a definite answer he was hoping for.

He suggested that I do a trial with the meds to see if I notice an improvement. I realize it could also be something in my diet, behavioural due to the co-sleeping, a number of other factors or that he's just a snacking bubbly baby that needs lots of burping. But I will be objective over the next 10 days too see if there is any actual changes with the meds. I'm not one to jump to them quickly, but it hurts my heart to see him struggling so much all night.

And as for the four month sleep regression, I think I'm seeing that during nap time! The past few weeks his 1-2 hr naps are down to 20-30 mins. So although we have a happy little man, it feels like the majority of the day is trying to put him back to sleep because he's tired. Joy! :) haha
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 and I loved hearing about Dr. Sears thoughts on co-sleeping! There are so many benefits, it was very educational article. Great read!
  • Options
    I just thought of something that I don't know if it was mentioned at the appointment but I think a lot of the ladies that had LO's with sensitivity to their diet we're seeing painful gas/poops... And mucousy poops potentially also with blood in the poops and super fussy babies in general.

If you aren't seeing those things you could maybe rule out that it's a diet piece...

• Options
    Very true! And no changes in that department. And i suppose if it was a sensitivity, and I haven't introduced anything new, it would be odd to just start bothering him more now right?! Thanks @christinabrtn