Trouble TTC
Options

Just had an HSG

So I had an HSG done last tuesday and today i had a positive on my ovulation test. We are praying this could work for us. Has anyone else had any luck after getting an HSG done?
Married to My Best Friend
Mom to 2 Fur Babies (Great Danes)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Just had an HSG

• Options
    My SIS (a similar test) gave a result that benched us so I didn't get to try after mine - and I was super bummed because I've heard there is a high rate of success afterwards if a problem isn't detected during the test. FX for you!!
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    @BlissfulWifey An HSG test is simply checking to make sure your tubes are not blocked, it does not boost your chances of trying to conceive.  It only crosses that out as a potential problem when you have had trouble TTC.  Did you doc tell you it would increase your chances?

This is when you had the dye injected, correct?

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    BlissfulWifeyBlissfulWifey member
    edited October 2015
    @BlissfulWifey An HSG test is simply checking to make sure your tubes are not blocked, it does not boost your chances of trying to conceive.  It only crosses that out as a potential problem when you have had trouble TTC.  Did you doc tell you it would increase your chances?

This is when you had the dye injected, correct?

I know that it does not technically increase the odds. But I have read that it can act as a flush and even though I had no blockages, it can clear the path completely :)

Yes this is where the Dye is injected . 

Edited to add information*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doc told me after I had my HSG that it increases your chances a bit, but just that month, since things have gotten cleared out basically. No luck for me, but FX for you!
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015
    Diagnosis: Unexplained Infertility 9/2015
    IUIs #1-#5: 9/2015-2/2016 all BFNs
    Moving to IVF with ICSI and PGS 5/2016-6/2016  Just kidding, BFP 4/4/2016!
    Spencer Elliott born 12/7/2016

• Options
    Hmmm, interesting.  Neither my OB or RE ever mentioned that, but we will take any positive thoughts we can get.  :D  Hope it works for you.  Well, at least the very least, you know you are good to go with your tubes.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    I've also heard it can increase your chance of success for the following 3 months since it can push gunk or small blockages out. Unfortunately, no such luck for me, but I hope it helps you out!!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    My RE said it can increase chances of success for 2-3 months afterwards.  Doesn't look like I've benefited from the boost, but FX for you!
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Options
    My RE said the same thing about a 2-3 month improvement window - if there was actually a "gunk" problem in your tubes. Which for me there wasn't, so net neutral :) But FX for you OP.
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    Thanks ladies :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hey @blissfulwifey Ditto to some of the other ladies, my Doc told me that it can happen cause the exam will "clear out any cobwebs" lol for the first couple months, but I had no issues with blockages and didn't end in a BFP but fingers crossed for you, I have read some other forums where it has happened. I like to always stay hopeful :)
  • Options
    @jamiel31210 thank you :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We had our first appointment with the RE yesterday and they are sending me for an HSG and the doctor said "Fertility seems to increase for about 3 months after getting this test done. People think it's because your tubes are being flushed out, I don't believe that but whatever it is, it seems to work!"

@BlissfulWifey the test was no big deal?

Me: 30 DH: 33

Married: February 15, 2013

TCC: October 2013

MFI- low count/morphology

May / June 2016- Monitored cycle and TI- BFN

June / July 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #1- BFN

August 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #2-

• Options
    @plainjanie For me the test wasnt much worse than a yearly pap. but with some cramping. take some tylenol ahead of time. 

Pregnancy Ticker