Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Hello! Newbie Here with some TTC Questions!

mtbbfmtbbf member
edited October 2015 in Trying to Get Pregnant

Hi there! I am brand new to The Bump and I am really enjoying it so far! So much information from real women who are going through what you are, and it is amazing! I have tried to read as much as possible so that I am not repeating what other ladies have said, but I am having a hard time learning the "slang" around here, so excuse me if I am not up to par with it! However I do have a few questions right away (that have probably been answered already in a different thread, sorry!!).

1. Husband and I are going to start TTC soon but I am taking the Pill and wondering when is the best time to stop taking it if we are wanting to start TTC in January/February. Are there a certain amount of cycles that we should wait to start? Are there dangers to potential baby if we don't wait?

2. How early is too early to start a pre-natal pill?

3. Should I go in for a check-up with a doctor to make sure that everything is healthy before we start trying?

I have so many questions and we are so nervous to take this step, we just want to make sure that we do it right! But we can't wait to start a family!

Thanks so much in advance! Good luck to you and can't wait to meet all of you!

Re: Hello! Newbie Here with some TTC Questions!

• Options
    MamaBishMamaBish member
    edited October 2015
    Hello!

1. Stop taking the pill now. It may take some time for your body to adjust. The sooner your body regulates, the easier it is to track your cycles.

2. Take prenatals now! It's good for you!

3. Up to you :)

Best of luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    Welcome!
    1. Go off when you like but a few things; it can take months before becoming regular again. Some get pregnant right away and others take a few months to start ovulating again. Go off when you like but know that it could take awhile. You can start Ttc as soon as you're off.
    2. I've been taking a prenatal as my multivitamin for 4 years and just went off bcp in May.
    3. I had a check-up/yearly scheduled anyway scheduled around that time so I included those questions then. If you've had a yearly recently, you shouldn't need to check anything but if it's been awhile, you could schedule a check-up but not necessary
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd recommend reading the pinned posts at the top and begin to temp and chart once off bcp. Will save you a lot of worry and confusion while going through bcp withdrawals
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    1. It can take some people time for their body to adjust. Some people get pregnant right after they stop. If you definitely dont want a baby in 9 months, keep taking them until you're ready.
    2. Never too early!
    3. Up to you. If you have no history of feminine issues, you have no reason to chat with your doctor first.
    image image
  • Options

Also, FWIW, it causes no harm to a fetus if you have taken the pill recently, or even if you get pregnant while on the pill.

I got pregnant the first time on the pill and didn't realize for 10 weeks (continued taking the pill as usual).  My doc said no biggie.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

As far as a "preconception visit" I just mentioned it at my annual to my OB.

She opted to do a PAP when I normally wouldn't be due for one until this upcoming year, because I *may* (FX) be expecting during when I would have it. New recommendations are for every 2-3 years, so she noted it as medically needed since I had an abnormal one - 12 years ago - so my insurance would pay ;) Mostly because I was concerned about it being let go for 4 years

No other difference.

• Options
    Here's what my H and I did when we were in your shoes:

1. Went off BCP 4 months ahead of when we would be ready to conceive (after our wedding) and used condoms in the interim. I also used this time to start using FF app to get know my cycle. Read up on temping just in case we didn't conceive easily.

2. Yes on the prenatals as far ahead as possible - probably good for you anyway

3. I just used my annual well-woman exam to "interview" an OB and check out the practice as a whole. He answered a lot of questions and gave me prescription prenatals (cheaper than buying retail, and complete with iron and DHA)
  • Options
    1.  I did not get my period for 3 months after stopping BCP and only because I did a progesterone withdrawal challenge.  If you have a specific time of year you are trying to conceive you may want to stop pills now, use condoms until you are ready and let your body get back into a natural cycle rhythm.

2. Start now!  Never too early to start taking plus the build up of folic acid prior to conceiving is good for preventing certain birth defects.

3. I didn't see an OBGYN pre ttc but about 10 months ago I went in to see my PCP for an annual physical (which all insurance policies in the USA must pay for) and had routine blood work and ended up getting a pap as I hadn't had one in a few years.  It put my mind at ease knowing I was healthy.  My partner also went in for a physical to make sure he was healthy as well. 

Good luck!
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Options
    Hi! Welcome.

Nothing else to add on top of what others have said but I have to ask: Is your screen name your real name?  You might want to change it for internet safety. Just a suggestions.

• Options
    Welcome! I would reccomemd stopping the pill now. I am in my third cycle off and thought it would happen right away and it didn't. Going off now will give your body time to adjust. It's not to early to start prenatals. I saw my OB about 5 months ago and she told me to start. They say you should be on them 3 months before trying. It's always a great idea to go in for a check up too. Good luck!
  • Options

1. No danger, but if you want to give yourself the best shot as soon as you start TTC, you should get off the pill now. 

2. A pre-natal is just a vitamin; you don't even need to buy pre-natals if you don't want to, just buy a women's multivitamin with 400 mcg of folic acid and you're good. You want to start the folic acid BEFORE you get pg, so I would take it now. 

3. Most docs won't do a lot of testing before you have tried for a while; I did a pre-conception visit because my primary doc is an internist, not an OBGYN, and the OB in their office is very sought after. I knew I probably wanted her as my OB, so I scheduled a visit with her so that I would officially be her patient when we do get KU. Also, she was very calming, and she also answered my questions about whether I should stop any meds (I take allergy pills and nasal spray) before trying. So, if you are on meds, especially nervous, or have had problems in the past (endometriosis, etc), you might want a visit. Otherwise, not necessary. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    Hi and welcome!

1.  Stop the birth control immediately!!!  I am 7 months out and STILL not ovulating, and the only reason is the pill totally messed me up.  Wish I had stopped it a year ago.

2.  Prenatals are good for you to take even if not TTC!  They are filled with awesome nutrients everybody needs.  Start right away!

3.  No need to go to the doc unless you have a concern.

Good luck!!