Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Feeding schedule

I am combination pumping and feeding formula to my 11 day old. He gets half my milk, half formula. The doctor says he needs to eat 2-3 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours.

Do you start the clock from the beginning of the last feeding or the ending of it?

We've been starting from the beginning but when feeding and diaper changing ends it has been 45 minutes to an hour already. We then get an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to do anything in between.

Thanks!

Re: Feeding schedule

• Options
    I would time it from the end of the feeding. Is there a particular reason the doctor is having you be so rigid with the timing? You don't actually have to watch a clock or set a timer. Just try to feed every 2.5 - 3 hours or when your LO lets you know he's hungry. They are very good about letting you know when they want to eat!
  • Options

I would time it from the end of the feeding. Is there a particular reason the doctor is having you be so rigid with the timing? You don't actually have to watch a clock or set a timer. Just try to feed every 2.5 - 3 hours or when your LO lets you know he's hungry. They are very good about letting you know when they want to eat!

He's a big boy and needs a little more than usual but his belly can't handle a lot at a time. The doctor said more feeds with less is better for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Timing is from start to start. It is really hard, but it definitely won't last forever. And, of course, it doesn't have to be exact to the minute or anything.
  • Options
    I do from start to start. Sometimes it might be 2 hours, sometimes it closer to 3 or 4 depending on what's going on or how asleep the baby is.