Parenting after 35

Weekly check-in October 18

How was your week? 

QOTW: what is your quick go-to dinner for a busy night? What is your favorite meal to make when you have plenty of time?
Me-37, DH-38
Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

Re: Weekly check-in October 18

• We're on the road, visiting family in Europe last week and now at a conference for my work (LO and hubby in tow). Having a good time, despite a few difficult evenings and nights getting over jet lag.

Quick dinner is usually some kind of pasta. Favorite meal that takes a long time is butternut squash soup (made from scratch) followed by a chicken and veggie pot roast with herbs. A close second is a brunch of crepes!
  • @marijaa333, Hope you're having a great trip! Can't wait to hear how your travels goes with LO. I'm hoping to plan a Europe trip next year for our 10th anniversary.(and while LO is still a lap baby)

My week was good. DH was in town this past weekend as we had a wedding to go to. Was a 3 hour drive and LO slept the entire way there and back - couldn't have been more perfect!  He was really good during the event also. Fortunately the wedding was semi-casual and there were a couple other babies, so we didn't feel weird about having him there.  

Now that the weather is cooling down, I'm actually more motivated to cook, lol. Need some fresh ideas! We eat a lot of pasta, too. Or quesadillas. We love to make homemade pizza when we have time. I made homemade ravioli once and it was amazing, Would love to make it more often, but it takes SO much time.

Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Loading the player...
  • @marijaa333 ...Europe!  How exciting!  Hope you're having a great time!

@mindaa ... homemade ravioli?  I am impressed!

My week was fine.  Fiance' is out of town for work a lot right now. He's trying to get all his travel in before I go back to work.  

Picked up my wedding dress.  It fits.  I want it to fit better.  Still have seven months to make that happen.

Other than that, just straightening the house, planning the wedding and somewhat dreading going back to work.

Our quick meals usually involve take out, lol.  We also do hot dogs/veggie dogs, boxed mac and cheese and fries.  Our more involved meals are lasagna, stuffed shells and enchiladas.  Just got a vegetarian soup book at a yard sale this weekend.  Now that it's cooler I'm gonna plan to try a recipe a week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good week here. Still exhausted & getting used to the routine with 2 kids. Found out the relative has a gaggle of kids and declined placement!!!

Been going crazy on my discounts for Amazon registry. Bought a city select double. Excited to see it.

Also great huggies & baby sale double gift card reward at target. Plus huggies coupons from their site.

I'm not good in the cooking dept. crockpot is my friend. I can't remember the last time I made a really nice meal though. I guess fish.
  • @mindaa and @jerseygirl227  thanks! It has gone surprisingly smoothly. The first four days were tough because of jet lag, but I didn't even try to fight it, I just let him sleep whenever he wanted, and that made it easier. It was almost like going back to month #2--do everything on demand, and forget schedules, except easier because he isn't crying all the time and I'm now a bit better equipped to handle his little problems. 

One thing that's been great is walking with him in the Ergo everywhere. We brought a stroller with us but have hardly used it. Getting on public transit with the Ergo has been great.

Also, everyone is super baby-friendly here. I've breastfed in cafes, even without a cover at times, because other moms are doing it too.
  • In NYC we used our ergo everywhere too. Loved our stroller heading to and in the airport though.

That's brave if you to bf in public. I can't bf and I'm so used to bottle feeding past several infants I'm not sure I'd want to now if I could. But I don't think I could in public like that!
  • baby'smom - good news about the relative placement!

I was really hesitant to bf in public. Turns out, it's almost easier than to nurse around family/friends, who are going to want to keep talking/engaging, which is impossible to do without them getting totally distracted by what's going on with your boob. 

In public, anyone who notices what you are doing is just going to move on and not really give you much attention. 
    Me-37, DH-38