March 2015 Moms

Almost 7 months pp and heavy bleeding

I tried a search and didn't turn anything up so apologies if there is a topic that I can't find that would answer this.

I am nearly 7 months pp and just started bleeding heavily last night. I'm going through a super plus tampon in 2 hours or less. This is the first real period since I had my daughter but I've had a bit of spotting here and there. Is it so heavy just because it's been so long? Or should I be calling my ob?

Re: Almost 7 months pp and heavy bleeding

• AllyceB said:
    I tried a search and didn't turn anything up so apologies if there is a topic that I can't find that would answer this. I am nearly 7 months pp and just started bleeding heavily last night. I'm going through a super plus tampon in 2 hours or less. This is the first real period since I had my daughter but I've had a bit of spotting here and there. Is it so heavy just because it's been so long? Or should I be calling my ob?

That sounds like an abnormally heavy flow. I would call the OB.
  • Thanks. Ended up talking to the nurse who advised me to be seen ASAP. Prompt care couldn't help so ended up at the ER.... Waiting on blood work but everything looked ok so far.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first child, my first postnatal period was so heavy (nearly what you described!) that I left work thinking something was wrong! Luckily nothing was for me, glad you are getting checked out and hopefully it's the same for you!
  • My 2nd period after having my daughter was the heaviest I have ever experienced.  I soaked through tampons every 45 minutes and finally used a hospital grade pad I have left over from giving birth.  I swear I felt light headed from blood loss but after it was over I was fine and got pregnant again the next month.

I have read it is our bodies way of cleaning out what was leftover from being pregnant.  It was super scary and I almost when to the ER because I thought I was hemorrhaging. Good luck!