May 2016 Moms
Options

Massage during early pregnancy?

My SO booked me a surprise massage for my birthday (it's in a few hours). While I'm very excited and grateful, I want to be sure it's safe! I'm 11w 2d. Midwife's office is closed on Saturday's so I can't call. What I've read online is that it's safe in first tri so long as there is no abdominal massage and they don't do any deep tissue on your legs. Anybody have any experience with this?

Re: Massage during early pregnancy?

• Options
    I had a masseuse request I wait until 2nd trimester. I'd call and inquire about their policies!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I would call as well. A lot of places have their own policies and I think they tend to be more cautious than not...

image        image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried to get a massage with my first in the frist tri and they were very concerned and ended up talking me out of it. But my midwife later said it would have been fine.
  • Options
    My friend is a message therapist and he does not work on pregnant women. I asked him about it and he said it isn't safe and something about pressure points. That said, he does intense, deep tissue massage. You probably could get massages on certain parts of your body, maybe your legs and feet? I have no idea, but the only time I've had a massage where they didn't ask me if I'm pregnant first was when I got my legs and feet massaged :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Most places that offer massage won't do one in the first trimester, mainly because of the liability involved. They do not want to get blamed if something happens. You'd also want to make sure they are familiar with prenatal massage.

I would just be sure to disclose this to the massage therapist.

What a sweet surprise!
  • Options
    Every doctor is different; mine is ok with them. I am going to wait until 2nd trimester and get a prenatal massage.
  • Options
    LizC216LizC216 member
    edited October 2015
    When I was seeing a chiropractor, she would not let me get massage therapy until the second tri.

When I was pregnant with my second, my mother-in-law gave me a gift certificate to a spa and they required a note from my doc.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm a massage therapist, and as long as you're healthy and certain things are avoided, then you're fine. Some therapists will wait till the 2nd tri. You can also find lmts who have extra certifications in pregnancy massage.
  • Options
    Aw, that's really sweet! In my area, there are massage places that specialize on prenatal and postnatal massages. They have those beds that allow your tummy to hang through so you aren't putting any pressure on your baby. It might be worth checking out if you get any additional massages.