2nd Trimester
Options

Fat baby

kqualls5kqualls5 member
edited October 2015 in 2nd Trimester
So I'm 26 weeks, 5 days. We had an ultrasound done yesterday because of some abnormalities found at our 18 week ultrasound (everything resolved on its own, he's perfectly healthy). But. He already weighs 2.7lbs. And everything I've read on pregnancy trackers say they should be nearing 2 lbs at 27 weeks. My question is more so for not first time moms, have any of you had babies measuring a little ahead of the weight game but not have to deliver a 10 pound baby?

Re: Fat baby

• Options
    The estimates can be off in either direction-- e.g. he could be smaller or larger than the estimate you were given-- and sometimes by quite a lot. The pregnancy trackers are also just an "average" and are certainly not right on for every pregnancy, or else we would all be born at the same weight! If your doctor isn't concerned, try and relax momma!
  • Options

"Fat Baby" for your title? Seriously?

Ultrasounds are notorious for being off +/- 2lbs. They are just estimates, not an exact science. Babies grow at different rates, have growth spurts in utero, etc.

kqualls5 said:

So I'm 26 weeks, 5 days. We had an ultrasound done yesterday because of some abnormalities found at our 18 week ultrasound (everything resolved on its own, he's perfectly healthy). But. He already weighs 2.7lbs. And everything I've read on pregnancy trackers say they should be nearing 2 lbs at 27 weeks. My question is more so for not first time moms, have any of you had babies measuring a little ahead of the weight game but not have to deliver a 10 pound baby?

Yep that is my title... And I know they get growth spurts. I was just asking if anyone had similar experiences with them being in a higher weight percentile at first but ended up "average". (Don't really want to push a huge baby out, and everyone around me who have had children are making it seem like I will, based on yesterday's measurements.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The estimates can be off in either direction-- e.g. he could be smaller or larger than the estimate you were given-- and sometimes by quite a lot. The pregnancy trackers are also just an "average" and are certainly not right on for every pregnancy, or else we would all be born at the same weight! If your doctor isn't concerned, try and relax momma!

Ah that makes sense. I had no idea that the measurements could be off! Trying to relax, just approaching my due date is making me paranoid about every situation, one being having to push out a giant. Thank you for the info!! :)

• Options
    I measured ahead with all of my pregnancies and my biggest baby was 8lb 3oz which I don't consider too big. As pp have mentioned there is a margin of error in ultrasound measurements also.
  • Options

I measured ahead with all of my pregnancies and my biggest baby was 8lb 3oz which I don't consider too big. As pp have mentioned there is a margin of error in ultrasound measurements also.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    My DS measured 2 weeks ahead most of my pregnancy, and I was terrified! He was born shy of 39 weeks and weighed 7lb in change. U/S can be off, so don't worry about it!

• Options
    I was warned that DD would probably be 9 lbs, and I may need a c section.
    I had a natural vaginal birth and she was 6 lbs, 6 oz.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My son measured big...I think 2 weeks ahead. I got big fast with him. He decided to come out early at 37w6d at 8lb3.5oz. If he had waited until term I guess he may have weighed around 9-9.5lbs. I think their head size matters more when pushing anyways. ;) My guy had a big head, but the delivery was still good, no stitches.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD was measured at 26 weeks and was developmentally right on track but in the 27th percentile for size (i forget the exact weight). She was born at 39+6 weighing 7lbs 7oz (so basically exactly average) and 20.5" long which is in the 95th percentile.

So...the ultrasound measurements really can be garbage, and in either direction. Don't stress about it.
  • Options
    My daughter measured ahead the entire third trimester and was 9.5 lbs and relatively short, so she was plenty chunky. My vulva has only somewhat recovered and now I'm putting it through the paces again with number 2, who is a boy and likely to be bigger. Hooray! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was warned that DD would probably be 9 lbs, and I may need a c section. I had a natural vaginal birth and she was 6 lbs, 6 oz.

A c-section for a 9lb baby?!

Both of my kids were 9lbs 1oz and I pushed them out vaginally. My OB also told me they were going to be bigger than that so I was relieved when they were ONLY 9 pounds ;)

• Options
    llybeck said:
    sorarose said:

Listen, I think it's weird to share u/s pictures with perfect strangers anyway and I understand why people get heated when the terms sex and gender are used synonymously. However, I do have to agree with you here on the "fat" comment. I'm not sure why we're immediately jumping to the conclusion that OP is using it in a derogatory way. I took her for being sarcastic and didn't think anything of it; I'm going to trust she won't fat-shame her child.

And personally, I love a chubby baby. The more rolls, the merrier. 

Because people, especially the regular posters, love to assume the worst in people and their comments and they love telling other people they are wrong.

I agree with you on the rest.

Saying a kid/baby/fetus is fat doesn't really sit well with a lot of people. I've heard a few people say this IRL and others have asked them not to. Fat isn't usually a term of endearment, it has nothing to do with regular posters thinking the worst of people, it's just not a term a lot of people like to hear in regards to someone else. It's a bit cringeworthy for some. 

Yes, clearly. I'm not surprised that it bothers people on here.
  • Options

I was warned that DD would probably be 9 lbs, and I may need a c section. I had a natural vaginal birth and she was 6 lbs, 6 oz.

A c-section for a 9lb baby?!

Both of my kids were 9lbs 1oz and I pushed them out vaginally. My OB also told me they were going to be bigger than that so I was relieved when they were ONLY 9 pounds ;)

Could be a legitimate concern if, say, the mother is petite?  I'm a FTM but I have 'heard' that smaller women have a harder time delivering large(r) than average babies.  I'm 5'1" myself, but a little chunky - surely do hope a c-section isn't forced unless absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    I call my 18lb 4 month old my "lil fatty" all the time...I think her fat rolls and enormous thighs are adorable. Is it a little weird to refer to an unborn baby as fat? Kind of....usually you hear them just called large or big. But I didn't take the OP to mean this in a derogatory way. I think we need to move on from the fat debate.

That being said my initial advice stands...a scan at 26 weeks will tell you just about nothing about the baby's ultimate size at birth, so don't worry about it. I know lots of women that delivered 9+ pound babies vaginally and they all recovered just fine.
  • Options
    those wight estimations could be off... 
  • Options
    llybeck said:
    sorarose said:

Listen, I think it's weird to share u/s pictures with perfect strangers anyway and I understand why people get heated when the terms sex and gender are used synonymously. However, I do have to agree with you here on the "fat" comment. I'm not sure why we're immediately jumping to the conclusion that OP is using it in a derogatory way. I took her for being sarcastic and didn't think anything of it; I'm going to trust she won't fat-shame her child.

Because people, especially the regular posters, love to assume the worst in people and their comments and they love telling other people they are wrong.

Saying a kid/baby/fetus is fat doesn't really sit well with a lot of people. I've heard a few people say this IRL and others have asked them not to. Fat isn't usually a term of endearment, it has nothing to do with regular posters thinking the worst of people, it's just not a term a lot of people like to hear in regards to someone else. It's a bit cringeworthy for some. 

Yeah, well I meant in general, hence the reason why I brought up hearing it IRL (in real life) from people and others being uncomfortable with it. I actually don't know many people who are comfortable with it, real life people. But clearly you have an issue with people on TB so what I'm saying isn't going to change your mind anyways. Just thought I'd give you a perspective that a lot of people share, not just on TB. 
  • Options
    Muggle loverMuggle lover member
    edited October 2015
    llybeck said:

llybeck said:

sorarose said:

qbf**

***qbf
    qbf******
    Yeah, well I meant in general, hence the reason why I brought up hearing it IRL (in real life) from people and others being uncomfortable with it. I actually don't know many people who are comfortable with it, real life people. But clearly you have an issue with people on TB so what I'm saying isn't going to change your mind anyways. Just thought I'd give you a perspective that a lot of people share, not just on TB. 
    ***qbf

I've never witnessed someone being upset over a baby being called fat IRL. Anytime I have heard it, it was in the context of it being an adorable attribute. My nephew is fat, and probably the cutest baby I've ever seen.
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I call my baby (toddler now, I guess, I still haven't adapted to that) a chunk all the time. Someone else calls him that, all bets off, but me? Eh. I like the squish.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    my parents called me the "sugar plump fairy" when I was a kid. I grew up to be a fat adult but I think it's funny and charming.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    sorarose said:

Aren't you a regular poster?

I suppose I am but I guess I just don't group myself with a lot of the other "regulars" because of their attitudes (mainly on the tri boards). I'm sure they feel the same about me and that's fine too.
  • Options
    kqualls5kqualls5 member
    edited October 2015

kyraaD said:

as for OP's question: like PP's have said, the estimates they give you on baby's weight can be off by quite a bit. i doubt you'll be pushing out a 10lbs baby!! haha. but i understand the worry. I'm so scared my LO will be a big baby. my SO was over 8lbs, where as i was only 6lbs. we shall see!

as for the "calling fetus fat" debate: i dont understand why so many ladies on here are butthurt about it. i HIGHLY doubt that OP meant it as a derogatory comment towards her own unborn child. & honestly, you want a fat baby. fat = healthy. if someone told me my baby was fat, i would take it as a compliment! some people are just WAY too sensitive IMO.

You call a grown woman, a teenager, a pre-teen or an adolecent fat and it's considered rude and mean, harsh, etc- but it's ok to call a baby born or unborn fat? Double standard IMO. Fat is just not a nice word to use to descibe someone, period.
    It is so different. 1st off he's not outside of my womb yet, so he has no idea mommy titled a thread "fat baby", and if I told him 4 years from now I'm sure he wouldn't care, because he's not going to be an overly sensitive little boy, like I feel like the majority of overly sensitive and "politically correct with your words" women are raising. Sorry, I just don't think it's bad. Plus, fat rolls are adorable. Do I want to push out a giant? No, not at all. I'm a baby when it comes to pain & the recovery from child labor itself, then add on the fact pushing out a big ol baby? No thank you... Do I want a cute lil fat & healthy baby after he's out? Of course. The original question was basically if scans have been off about your baby's percentile. Not an invitation to attack me for calling MY child a WORD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"