January 2016 Moms
Options

Baby hogging family

My family are notorious baby hogs (me included) and i want them to all hold lo when them come visit at the hospital, but i know theyll camp out all day, everyday im there and as this is my first i want TONS of skin to skin contact the first few weeks. I just dont think theyll understand. Anyone else?

Re: Baby hogging family

• Options
    We finally decided that we are going to video chat everyone after baby arrives so no one needs to come to the hospital and we will go visit everyone after a couple of weeks or so so we can get breastfeeding started and the bonding that I want to establish. Our family is all 3 hours away so I don't think it will be that difficult and don't know if your family is close by. I've been told over and over its my baby and my birth and my rules so that is the way it will be.
  • Options
    I totally hear you on this! When my daughter was born I had 10 people in my hospital room within the first hour, and they stayed forever. No one got the hint when I had to take my boobs out repeatedly. Looking back I really wish I had made myself clear that we didn't want visitors the same day (I wasn't sure what I wanted, really). I knew everyone was super excited to meet the baby and I didn't want to keep her from them, but now I wish I'd just said, look, I know you're all so excited, but we would really like alone time as a family for the first couple weeks. The baby will still be teeny tiny when we're ready to come and visit you. Just make sure you stick to your guns and don't be a push over. You don't want your memories of the first few weeks with baby to be clouded over by a bunch of other people.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also regret having visitors in the hospital room right after the birth with my first child. I just wanted to hold my brand new baby!! I barely got to see her those first couple hours. The next day was a long day of visitors too and I just wanted them to go away. Ha I sound so ungrateful. I appreciate that people were excited to meet the baby but there were constant visitors and I wanted to rest and bond. I didn't feel like I could say anything.

With my second, barely anyone came to visit and it was great! Of course he was born on a Monday and my first was born on a Saturday. I'm hoping for another weekday birth.
  • Options
    I'm not going to call anyone. My mom will know I'm in labor because she is watching big sister. But I'm not calling to announce birth until I'm ready to receive anyone. And if granny can't keep her mouth shut. DH is my bouncer.
  • Options
    BarrettJ89BarrettJ89 member
    edited October 2015
    When I had my son, I seriously had no idea what I wanted. I had no clue what I was doing (or was supposed to be doing) with breastfeeding. But I had complications after my epidural (couldn't pee on my own) and had to have multiple catheters inserted and removed, which meant they had to keep kicking my visitors out, then they'd come back in to see me sobbing in utter pain and drugged to no end...
    This time around, since the visitors that came to see me last time now have little babies of their own, I think it'll be quiet, but I have already informed everyone that they can come when I say so. It's my baby and my hospital room. The nurses make great bouncers.

Edit: swipe sucks