May 2016 Moms
Options

Formula vs Breast Feeding

Hello ladies! 

I know I still have plenty of time to decide but I'm stuck on whether or not to breast feed my baby or formula feed, there are plenty of pros and cons to both. Anyone else in this situation? Anyone have a strong opinion about either one? Maybe share your experience or why you loved one over the other. Thanks! This would help me immensely :)

Re: Formula vs Breast Feeding

• Options
    It's not exactly a strong opinion, but I will definitely be breastfeeding (barring some unforseen circumstance that I can't). For me it is more about the cost saving aspect than anything else!
  • Options
    It's not exactly a strong opinion, but I will definitely be breastfeeding (barring some unforseen circumstance that I can't). For me it is more about the cost saving aspect than anything else!
    Yeah that's a big thing for me as well being young parents, I'm 19 and SO is 21, it would be a huge bonus to save money and breast feed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We will be combo feeding from the beginning.

My anxiety is through the roof, and after seeing just how much anxiety breastfeeding seems to cause people, I am planning to just preemptively combo feed. Plus, this way, my husband can take a night feeding.

I was 100% formula fed, so I'm maybe a bit extra open to formula.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    We will be combo feeding from the beginning.

My anxiety is through the roof, and after seeing just how much anxiety breastfeeding seems to cause people, I am planning to just preemptively combo feed. Plus, this way, my husband can take a night feeding.

I was 100% formula fed, so I'm maybe a bit extra open to formula.
    I've known a bunch of people who combo-fed successfully. Breastfeeding and anxiety is an interesting combination sometimes. For one of my friends, it worsened her anxiety and she eventually switchd to only formula-feeding. 

For me, it significantly lessened my anxiety. Besides my son not being ready to give up the boob, I have breastfed for as long as I have because when I tried to wean further at 14 months, I felt anxious for the first time in over a year. I'm pretty sure the extra oxytocin that is produced during breastfeeding was keeping my anxiety at bay.
  • Options
    I had attempted to breastfeed with my son but due to poor latch and severe mastitis issues we made the switch to 100% formula by 3 months. It was hard and traumatizing and I would love to try again but if we need to make the switch then we will just have to do it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bluejay3030Bluejay3030 member
    edited October 2015
    I will try to breastfeed first like I did with DD, but if it's as horrible for the first 6 weeks (we had major latch and low weight issues, and it involved a hybrid of breast and pumping at every meal) as it was that time, I probably won't stick it out like I did with her. I'm fine with switching to formula if necessary.

My best advice is that if you do decide to try breastfeeding, be mentally prepared for the possibility of formula feeding anyway. Breastfeeding is hard, and just doesn't plain work sometimes!

At the end of the day, a baby that's fed and a healthy mom are what counts.
  • Options
    I'm doing both but it's whatever works for sanity sake. After birth, postpartum and lack of sleep, it can get to you. If I can successfully breastfeed...then great! Awesome. If not, I can always chose to FF.
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I had real problems BF my son...plenty of supply but my "delivery system" and his latch did not work together. Extreme pain and stress, a lot of guilt and anxiety. After 2 months I switched to exclusively pumping and did that for 6 months..which was a PITA.

This time I'm not going to be so hard on myself, I will try bf-ing again, but if it doesn't work, so be it. Formula it is! I'm not going through that emotional self-abuse again
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a strong believer in giving it a try. I know some people have strong feelings against the idea and when it comes down to it babies need to be fed, however that happens. I do think applying the "don't knock it till you've tried it" approach is a good one, and give yourself time to get through the normal struggles and seek support. While personally I don't really understand when women just refuse to try and see what it's like regulars less of gut feelings, I understand logically and don't judge the choice. In our house we exclusively breastfed/pumped until 9 months then combo fed, down to one nursing session per day. Whatever works!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    yogahh said:

I plan on feeding my kid, plain and simple. 

QBF

This is my favorite answer ever! With my son, I tried so hard to BF that I drove myself crazy. The anxiety, depression, feelings of worthlessness (I mean, what kind of mom can't feed her baby, right?!) negated any benefit he got from the few tiny drops of BM I could eek out. The constant pumping, trying to get a screaming, starving preemie to latch when his body just couldn't understand, and trying to coax my premature breasts to realize they had to start up production much earlier than they thought was torture. I got so much pressure to BF from all sides (family, doctors, lactation consultants, other moms) that when my son's pediatrician finally gave me permission to stop, I cried with relief. Knowing he was getting adequate nutrition from a safe and healthy source (formula) gave me the freedom to just breathe and relax. We ended up having a few extremely wonderful nursing sessions once we could figure it out without all the pressure. No, he did not get as much mama's milk as I would have liked or had planned, but he was fed and happy. And most of all, I could be the mom I wanted to be without always being attached to the pump or stressing about milk production.

Just feed your kid and know that, even though it may seem like it, the way you feed them and what you feed them is not necessarily the most important piece of it. It is how you bond with them while feeding, whether breast or bottle. If you are crying and exhausted and stressed and like a zombie while manhandling yourself into a screaming mouth, you might get some BM in there, but you are not truly nourishing and bonding with your baby. Give yourself a break and just love that little one and you will give them all the nourishment they need...along with BM or formula. Definitely make sure they get either breast milk or formula! :-bd

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, just feed your kid.

I was adamant about BF before I had my daughter, it didn't work out the way I planned (my milk never came in), and we had to resort to FF. I was devastated and disappointed. But you know what? We have a healthy, very smart, 2 year old. 
  • Options

yogahh said:

I plan on feeding my kid, plain and simple. 

QBF

This is my favorite answer ever! With my son, I tried so hard to BF that I drove myself crazy. The anxiety, depression, feelings of worthlessness (I mean, what kind of mom can't feed her baby, right?!) negated any benefit he got from the few tiny drops of BM I could eek out. The constant pumping, trying to get a screaming, starving preemie to latch when his body just couldn't understand, and trying to coax my premature breasts to realize they had to start up production much earlier than they thought was torture. I got so much pressure to BF from all sides (family, doctors, lactation consultants, other moms) that when my son's pediatrician finally gave me permission to stop, I cried with relief. Knowing he was getting adequate nutrition from a safe and healthy source (formula) gave me the freedom to just breathe and relax. We ended up having a few extremely wonderful nursing sessions once we could figure it out without all the pressure. No, he did not get as much mama's milk as I would have liked or had planned, but he was fed and happy. And most of all, I could be the mom I wanted to be without always being attached to the pump or stressing about milk production.

Just feed your kid and know that, even though it may seem like it, the way you feed them and what you feed them is not necessarily the most important piece of it. It is how you bond with them while feeding, whether breast or bottle. If you are crying and exhausted and stressed and like a zombie while manhandling yourself into a screaming mouth, you might get some BM in there, but you are not truly nourishing and bonding with your baby. Give yourself a break and just love that little one and you will give them all the nourishment they need...along with BM or formula. Definitely make sure they get either breast milk or formula! :-bd

I had a similar experience with my first. Everyone just kept telling me that my milk would come in and he would stop screaming every time I gave him the breast, and treated me as if I were over-reacting.

Well after 5 days of cup feeding (read: absolute torture) and an increasing jaundice issue, we gave him a bottle of formula and he was the happiest baby ever. What we found out, later of course, is that I have equipment that doesn't work and my babies come early and don't know how to eat.

For all the first time moms: just know that it is 100% okay to formula feed if need be. Due to our combined issues my boys were formula fed. I now have two giant toddlers that are at the top of the growth charts and well ahead on milestones. Maybe breastfeeding has benefits, but it didn't for us.
  • Options
    I did a combo with my DD. I produced enough milk for her but had serious issues with a pump. So we did a combo so that I could get date nights, weekends away, etc. I only BF'd until 12 months, completely weaned by 12.5 months. We started cow's milk at 11 months (shhhhhh...lol). I plan on basically the same approach this time.

Yes, bf'ing can be time consuming and inconvenient at times. For us, I would have done all the night time feedings anyway, even if we did 100% formula, as I stay at home and my husband has a physically and mentally demanding job and has to be up at 4:30am. I'd rather be tired and have him alive that get a little more night time sleep and have him hurt at work from being overtired and not focusing.

I will say, if you decide to BF, it's okay to not love it or feel this special bond or any of those touchy feeling things lots of moms say about bf'ing. I bf'd my daughter because it was cheaper and I felt it was better for her. But it wasn't something I looked forward to or enjoyed. I didn't feel some special bond from it. I was just doing my job as mom and feeding my child. I actually bought my Kindle when my DD was 2 months old so I had something to do while she was eating.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    I bf my first son for about 5 months. This time I will do it again primarily for financial reasons. The latest study on bf vs formula which actually controlled for factors such as maternal iq and socioeconomic status (by comparing bf babies with siblings who were formula feed) showed no statistically significant difference aside from a slight increase in asthma in the breastfed babies. So don't feel guilty whatever your choice - do what's right for your family and your baby will get what s/he needs regardless of bf or formula.
  • Options
    I bf DD until she was about 13 months. When cluster feeding started I about pulled my hair out and DH started giving some formula mainly to save my sanity. So we had a really good system going - me bfing during the day and DH would give a bottle at bedtime and get her to sleep. He'd also do overnight feedings of formula some weekends. I tried to pump but that just stressed me out more - DD wasn't napping well yet and any time my boob came out to pump she was wanting to nurse. Soooo combo feeding worked really well for us and that's my plan with #2 too!

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    You guys have been way more awesome about this subject than I anticipated--very cool!  Where I live there is a huge stigma attached to anything but BF right from the boob. I feel so bad for my moms that don't or can't breastfeed (which happens quite a lot!). :(

In my case, I have NOTHING against formula and would really prefer it in all honesty.  Sooooo much easier to share feeding with your spouse or any care-takers, easier to take on the road with you, easier to store, etc.  Whole generations were raised on formula, because people though BF was gross at one point in time.  I see formula babies all the time and they seem just as happy and healthy (if not more so, since they are getting a more controlled amount of food) as the BF babies.  Plus, I haven't talked to ONE single BF mom who didn't have issues starting out (painful feedings, bruised/chapped/bleeding nipples, trouble latching, stress, no help with feedings, etc.)

My husband really wants to try BF, due to immunity benefits in the first few months.  Yes, it's my body, BUT he is half of the equation that made this kid, so I feel like he should get an opinion, too.  

I've talked it out with him a lot and really thought it over, and have decided that I will try to be an Exclusive Pumper, starting immediately at the hospital.  That way, baby get's used to bottle first thing, I don't have to deal with latching and pain issues, and we'll be able to keep track of ounces very easily.  It's supposedly a lot more work at first (pumping, feeding AND cleaning all the equipment) but I think it will be for the best in the end, especially when I go back to work a few weeks later.
  • Options
    with my first baby I could only imagine myself breastfeeding, and it was really hard when I found a lot of difficulties and pain. But my mind was so set on breast feeding that it was really hard for me to give formula. I even think this affected my bond with my baby.
    This time around I will definitely try breast feeding but I won't be against introducing formula. Formula is not something evil.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so I have NO CLUE how all this works. I know some women who couldn't BF so they opted for formula. I will def give BF a try since my insurance will give me an electric breast pump for free. I have a feeling I will have to combo feed.

I love that BF has so many benefits. My DH was formula only as a baby and he thinks that's why he gets sick easily while I hardly ever get sick (I was never on formula).
  • Options
    I love how positive this thread is! I'm going to try to BF for at least a few months- but I've been debating the idea of pumping and using a bottle after hearing a co worker freak out over how her baby refused to take a bottle when she needed to come back to work. I'm definitely signing up for formula samples and coupons though just in case! 
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I didn't have friends or family who breastfed their babies but I knew I wanted to do that for my baby after researching the benefits. So I attended LLL (la leche league) meetings while pregnant and became familiar with the leaders in case I needed help later on (spoiler alert - I did - lots!).

I also got several books on the subject and read them. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was a great resource. And also attended a breastfeeding class. And also picked a hospital where they don't separate you from baby and have a Lactation consultant available. I went to the hospital with nursing tops and lanolin. I made a sign that said breastfed baby only, no formula or pacifiers for the little bassinet thing that the nurses had.

I donated all the endless formula samples given to me rather than keep them because I didn't want to do a "just in case" since I was really committed to sticking to my plan and if I needed it later I would simply go purchase it. I didn't need them as a crutch in the middle of the night feedings just sitting there waiting (I know my personality well enough to know they might not be a crutch for everyone but they would have for me just sitting there easily accessible). Also I donated them so other well meaning people like MIL would not take it upon themselves to feed the baby if I was in shower, etc.

I had a c-section, my milk didn't come in for 4-5 days, and my baby (like all babies) lost weight in the beginning, I have Raynaud's syndrome. The syndrome I have made it extra hard but it got better once I learned there were steps that I could take to help and stay covered and warm.  I also had to apply lanolin after every feeding for about 3 months. Every body is different. A personal support team is important for a first time mom if you don't know anyone else who has ever breastfed. I ended up saving soooo much money! And my baby did great and was never sick. 

We traveled a lot and I never had to mess with bringing enough milk, enough bottles, making sure the milk was the right temp, etc. I didn't even mess with bottles so I didn't have to mess with the endless washing bottles and special stuff for that, sterilizing bottles, lugging formula around on trips, etc.

Some says dads feel left out if a mom breastfeeds however my husband never did, and baby adored daddy from day 1 and still is totally over the moon about him. Their bond is rock solid and always has been. Breastfeeding was a huge time saver too! It really made our little family super portable because food was on my person so no forgetting to bring enough, ready, readily available, always clean, and the perfect temperature every single time. Since breastfeeding was so cost effective for us, made it very easy to go places, and no one in the household had to wash a billion baby bottles and parts on a regular basis I plan on breastfeeding baby #2 as well.
  • Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but I definitely agree with do what works best for you. Try BF and use all resources, if it doesn't work out don't beat yourself up! I FF my daughter. I had a great experience. She slept through the night from early on. She is 8 years old and has never had an ear infection and never gets a cold. I work full-time and will return to work after 2 months, so FF works best for me. 
  • Options
    I breastfed both my kids (now ages 6 and 4) exclusively for 15 months. I loved it, and I was very lucky it came so easy for me. (After a lot of work with the first one though!) It was just easier for me than dealing with bottles.
    I am a SAHM though, I never had to deal with pumping at work. Hats off to those women, that's a lot of work!
  • Options
    Along the lines of thinking already discussed, educating yourself about the pro's and con's of both are key. I highly recommend reading "the womanly art of breastfeeding" during this sacred time before baby arrives. It is what sealed the deal for me as far as wanting to breastfeed and committing to it right off the bat. I think if you know what to expect (or have a general idea anyway) and where to go for help, breastfeeding can be an amazing experience. It definitely took dedication from the onset. i just knew I was going to make it work. And I did. I am still happily nursing my now 22 month old.
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited October 2015
    hendsa01 said: Along the lines of thinking already discussed, educating yourself about the pro's and con's of both are key. I highly recommend reading "the womanly art of breastfeeding" during this sacred time before baby arrives. It is what sealed the deal for me as far as wanting to breastfeed and committing to it right off the bat. I think if you know what to expect (or have a general idea anyway) and where to go for help, breastfeeding can be an amazing experience. It definitely took dedication from the onset. i just knew I was going to make it work. And I did. I am still happily nursing my now 22 month old.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ I loved
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding! It helped me through difficulties and helped me to find comfortable nursing positions when my csection was still very sore.

Edit for quote box fail
  • Options
    People say breastfeeding is hard work, and that is absolutely true especially when you are starting out. But once you settle into a routine, I've found one of the best benefits to breastfeeding is how easy and relaxing it is. No buying, mixing, packing, washing bottles, functioning in the middle of the night! Just pop baby on your boob and rest. It forces you to slow down and sit on the couch to nurse baby or lie down with baby and nurse/nap together (using safe cosleeping practices, of course). I love babywearing as well, and can nurse baby very discreetly while carrying, which is pretty freaking awesome. I've nursed at the grocery store, church, a wedding (!) in my Tula and no one was the wiser.
    All that said, it can be difficult to continue breastfeeding once Mom goes back to work. My sister did a combo of breastfeeding at home, formula while she was at work. So like everyone has been saying, you just do what works for you. I have been amazingly blessed to stay at home with my kids, and I am thankful I was able to nurse mine till they were ready to wean.
  • Options
    I was adamant about exclusively breastfeeding, but I had some issues in the hospital with an aggressive but well-meaning nurse forcing a bad latch and ended up in serious pain. I mean, when a lactation consultant and OB wince at your nipples you know you're in bad shape. That said, we figured it out but it wasn't without struggling and ended up combo feeding until my supply completely tanked after going back on the pill.

And NYC ladies - my experience was at NYU, but if you specify your baby is going to be bf they will ensure signs are placed on the bassinet and they don't offer formula at all (or pacifiers). But you can ask for formula if you're struggling, they'll just provide you with droppers for feeding in lieu of bottles. Also, insist on the lactation consultant visiting you in your recovery room. I attended the class they host but found the in room instruction way more helpful.
  • Options
    laurenmdrn16laurenmdrn16 member
    edited October 2015
    @danandvan I need to learn your ways of nursing while baby wearing! I wore my son 24/7 and definitely plan to do so with this nugget, but I am nervous about feeding while wearing. I had issues BF my son for other reasons, but I feel like if all goes as planned with this one we will be better able to latch, feed etc. So did you use the Tula more like a cover or actually as a support and walk around while baby was nursing? Sorry if it is too personal, but I am so interested in BFing while wearing!

ETA: I just feel like the baby's head wouldn't be in the right spot (I also have fairly large breasts) unless it was in a sling and like under my boob

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Laurenmdrn16 nothing too personal for me! It took some practice, but yes I would nurse her while carrying her in our Tula. I lowered the straps a little so she could latch on, and used the hood the cover her. I walked all over while she nursed and everyone just assumed she was sleeping :)
    I had a hard time getting started nursing my 1st baby, but my 2nd and 3rd were much easier! Hope that is your experience as well!
  • Options
    We will be majorly on a budget having twins with two other children already, so I'm hoping I can mainly breastfeed both. It was not easy or pain-free learning to breastfeed the first time around. But once I got the hang of it, it was so convenient. I also love that time when you're forced to slow down, hold your baby and just stare at them. Even if I do formula feed I will enjoy holding them and feeding them or letting my older kids enjoy that experience too. The 'on-the-go' bottle feeding for tiny babies bums me out - they're only little once! cherish it! OK, I'm rambling. ;)
  • Options
    DanandVan said:
    @Laurenmdrn16 nothing too personal for me! It took some practice, but yes I would nurse her while carrying her in our Tula. I lowered the straps a little so she could latch on, and used the hood the cover her. I walked all over while she nursed and everyone just assumed she was sleeping :) I had a hard time getting started nursing my 1st baby, but my 2nd and 3rd were much easier! Hope that is your experience as well!
    I did this too! It's how I nursed while shopping. I used a K'tan and a mai tai though-- the mai tai was easier with nursing (it's similar to a Tula).
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped for 9 months with my first after she stopped nursing at 3 months. Just an FYI... Pumping doesn't eliminate the pain completely. Your nipples will still have to get used to it.

Nursing my second was easy, except he didn't do bottles so I could never be away from him for more than 2 hours. And he still nurses at night so I have never spent a night away from him and haven't slept through the night in almost 4 years. :(

I'm hoping to wean him in the next few months because I don't think I am mentally capable of nursing 2 babies through the night.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I breastfed my daughter for 19 months and intend to bf until at least a year, if not longer, with my next. Not just for the health benefits (providing antibodies to your child) but it was just really convenient and easy for me. Also I could instantly soothe my daughter if she ever felt bad or upset. Breastfeeding is soothing to the little ones.

With that said I know it's not for everyone and if formula works for your family then go for it! My only advice is if you do choose to breastfeed try to introduce the bottle maybe 1x a day when they are newborns. I didn't and my daughter refused any and all bottles and I was forced to exclusively breastfeed. I would have loved a break or be able to leave my daughter for more than a few hours and let someone bottle feed her. I won't make that mistake again!
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    I'm definitely going to try my best to breastfeed for as long as it makes sense, but keep an open mind that it may not go according to plan. And I will definitely take your advice @mhc13! I was a nanny for 3 years and cared for 2 newborns during that time. It was my job to get them used to a bottle while their mom rested/went out/etc and I saw first hand how important it is to get them used to a bottle early on. Thank you to all the veteran moms for the sage words, it is so helpful and reassuring.

I'm lucky that there are 'wellness rooms' where I work, kitted out with massage chairs, comfy couches, and TVs that are just perfect for pumping during the work day - they should call them pumping rooms because that's pretty much all that happens there! Two of my coworkers took advantage and it worked out well for both of them.

• Options
    I loved breastfeeding and any amount of colostrum and breastmilk baby gets is beneficial so only benefits to trying it out, no matter what you end up doing.

I would recommend 1. taking a breastfeeding class before birth (it's just 1 session) and 2. order the book Breastfeeding Made Simple (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!) and 3. ask to see the lactation consultant a couple times in the hospital to check your latch, give you tips, and show you different holds including side-lying. Take down the info of where to call the lactation consultant if you need help after you get home! Or you can see another IBCLC certified lactation consultant or go to a La Leche League meeting or Breastfeeding USA meeting.

Bring Lansinoh or a nipple cream to the hospital and use after every feed. You'll probably be on some pain medication after delivery anyways but Ibuprofen after you go home can help with nipple and breast tenderness and swelling as your boobs adjust. Don't worry about your "milk coming in," it can take almost a week but before that there is colostrum the baby is eating and that's all that's needed.

Most insurance cover a breast pump as mandated by the Affordable Care Act.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I used an ergo and it had a cover built in that was easily used as a nursing cover (or a sun shade) plus the right clothes helped.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, but I don't think breastfeeding is an option for me due to a medication I take - I'll have to check again with my doctors, but I believe while it's Class B for pregnancy it can be excreted in breast milk so it's not safe for feeding.  Which is unfortunate, because I wouldn't mind at least trying.  On the other hand, I could see difficulties making me feel very depressed and anxious, so it might be the best to avoid that if I can.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm a huge proponent of breastfeeding, and it broke my heart that I wasn't able to do that for my first daughter who was in the NICU, so I'm very much looking forward to breastfeeding #3. Daughter #2 was BF until 40 months, and I'd like to go a similar length next time.
  • Options
    With dd I was fine with either, but I knew I wanted to give bf a try. It did work out and it was so convenient. I think I'm more invested in it this time than last. I just loved the convenience/low cost/extra cuddles. I am planning to bf again hopefully!