High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Failed 1 Hour Glucose Test?

I just got a call that I failed my 1 hour glucose test. My number was 193. The doctor said this was VERY high and if it was 200 she automatically would have referred me to a diabetes counselor. I have my 3 hour glucose test in 1 week. I am also only 8 weeks pregnant; seems very early to have this issue. Any others in this boat? Anyone ever have that high of a number on the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour? I think my chances of passing might be slim... Also if I do have gestational diabetes, what will this be like as far as treatment?

Re: Failed 1 Hour Glucose Test?

• Options
    That seems super early to test for it! I think I was in my third trimester.

What did you eat that day? The nurse have me specific instructions to avoid any sugars, including sugars in carbs. So, bacon and eggs...not even toast because it's a carb. Definitely nothing sweet like juice, jelly on my toast, etc.
  • Options
    They tested me early apparently because I was overweight pre-pregnancy and also have PCOS. They did not give me any specific instructions prior and said it was a non-fasting test and to eat normally. The nurse told me that eating wouldn't spike my number that high. But I did drink juice that morning about 1-2 hours before I drank the glucola...I am just hoping that it is a fluke and I will pass the 3 hour!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure you will, just don't drink juice next time! And, even if you do fail like my friend did, you may never need insulin (her levels were always good, which is why she feels like she got false positives on both tests).
  • Options
    This is my second time to have GD. Mine has been diet controlled so far. I'm 30 weeks now. It has actually helped me keep my weight gain in check. I weighed the same when I delivered my son that I did when I found out that I was pregnant. I weigh the same now as I did when I found out that I was pregnant :)

It's not that bad. Just stick to the diet and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • Options
    I failed to one hour but passed 3 hr no problems. Guessing what I had that morning was a little sweet